LB Williams may become Broncos' trade bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LB Williams may become Broncos' trade bait

With just six draft picks remaining, and only two after the third round, we hear the Broncos will be looking to stockpile selections prior to the draft. QB Kyle Orton's name has been floated around in trade talks, but a source close to the team said ILB D.J. Williams could be the next player to go. Williams was stripped of his captaincy after his second DUI arrest this season and has not displayed the attitude the organization expects from its leaders moving forward.
    From ProFootballWeekly.com
    "That's a crap question."
    - Kyle Orton

I saw something about this last week some time on here. It makes sense. DJ most likely will be serving a suspension next year and is far from the team leader he needs to be.

Comment

I agree Neck....with his DUI issues he will receive a suspension from the league this year...so yeah...trade.

Unfortunately we won't be able to get too much for him BECAUSE of the suspension.

Disclamer: Anything stated by Hippie Guy is meant to be sarcasm and should not be construed as or mistaken for anything serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie Guy View Post
        I agree Neck....with his DUI issues he will receive a suspension from the league this year...so yeah...trade.

Unfortunately we won't be able to get too much for him BECAUSE of the suspension.

You're right; I suppose it's time to move forward.
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I'm on both sides about this.

I posted a couple of years ago that he was taking plays off and not making effort, and I got a bunch of "NUH UH!! NOT DJ! HE'S A LEADER!"...well, he did this year too.

Makes plays, but takes plays off, and as bad as our D is, that's something we can't afford. I think he needs to be traded more on what he does on the field than what he does off of it.

If he does stay, he needs to get his head on straight and play some ball. He's waaaaay to talented to be so underrated and underappreciated.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

If we could get better compensation for him by waiting a year, wouldn't that make sense?

I know he's not been everything you want in a leader... but at the same time, he was a Captain... voted by the team.
            Thanks, Reid!
            sigpic
            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

If he somehow gets released I see ol Al making a move for him and putting him at WLB.

1st round pick, athletic player, steal from rival team..

Comment

IMO This is one trade that will not be happening..... DJ Williams is a quality starter that can not be easily replaced. With a possible suspension looming over him, we wouldnt get a high enough pick to justify replacing him. He is a very good player to build around.....not the key to our defense, but certainly not easily replaceable. IMO he will be returning to the Broncos and to a starting role come week 4 of the 2011 season.

Comment

Good way to start the rebuilding process, trade a relatively young defensive starter.

Comment

What went through my head as I saw this topic: "why is Neckbeard posting this, it isn't about Kyle Orton! .....oh wait there it is." :p

In all seriousness though, I haven't been that impressed with DJ over the past several years. He is slightly above average at the position, but he is not a big-play guy, not fiery, not a vocal leader. All of these things make a great LB, but DJ is none of them. Bottom line is, he is replaceable, especially considering his latest off-field issue. Both him and Orton could bring value to us in the form of quality draft picks.
                    sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

What's his salary hit going into next season? That would factor into it as well. I can't see in terms of picks getting more than a 4th due to the suspension. Unless there is a stellar player low in the draft that we can't miss, I don't see it being worth it. If we're going back to a 4-3 then it makes even less sense to trade him. I say with so many other holes to fill, why create another one???
                      #swapping

Comment

I think it's way too soon to trade him yet. We're heading back to the 4-3. DJ as the WOLB in the 4-3 is what he was born for. Just run and make tackles. DJ excels at both of those things.

If we were going to trade him, it should've been over the last few years. Not when we're bringing a system in that he should excel at.

The rest of the issues with DJ can be coached out with a good D-coordinator and environment that doesn't tolerate taking plays off. If he can't not take plays off, then bench him. He'll get the message.

Comment

Considering we should be looking for a MLB with leadership and a mean streak, Woodyard was an absolute monster at WOLB in '08, and DJ said he never wants to go back to SOLB, I'm all for this trade.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                            If we could get better compensation for him by waiting a year, wouldn't that make sense?

I know he's not been everything you want in a leader... but at the same time, he was a Captain... voted by the team.
                            If the team goes back to the 4-3 your 100% correct. DJ flourished in the 4-3, not only in the middle but on the outside. It might be a smart move to land a MLB and move DJ to back to the outside (his natural position) to help build his value up after the suspension.

**I think were looking at 8 games for DJ, correct?**

Comment

Honestly I think he needs to go - had very high hopes for him but he's not a breakout player by any means and his off field issues are a distraction. I think he's been very average, and in our (very low-end average) LB corps that makes him look better than he really is.

I don't see us getting much for him unless he's packaged with someone else...

Comment

Working...
                              X