Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting tired of hearing that Droughns is a fullback.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting tired of hearing that Droughns is a fullback.

Countless ESPN radio shows keep referring to Droughns as a fullback when they talk about him. I know he plays fullback for us, but they act like he was a FB in the mold of a Lorenzo Neal or something.

I've always hated the "product of the system" tag BRONCOS backs have, and Droughns success is really fueling that debate again since most say that we "even turned a FB into an amazing runner". Droughns is only 207 and he was a standout RB at Oregon. If anything he is indeed a RB playing FB.
    Last edited by PLUMMERFAN16; 10-19-2004, 08:23 PM.

You're right, Shanahan said himself that the reason Droughns played fullback is because they want to get the best 11 players on the field so they had to put him somewhere. He'll get his due, give him time, as the article on the home page stated, if he keeps this pace he'll rush for 2,244 yards, 2,214 in the last 12 games. Granted there is a 99.99% chance that won't happen, it still could.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange_Crush21
      if he keeps this pace he'll rush for 2,244 yards, 2,214 in the last 12 games. Granted there is a 99.99% chance that won't happen, it still could.
      I would laugh if he actually did that because almost nobody thinks that he can do that, including me.
      Smith's First Catch
      "It was Sept. 17, 1995, and as the clock ticked down to 0:00 in the game against Washington at Mile High Stadium, Smith outleaped the great Darrell Green to catch the game-winning touchdown pass from Elway."

Comment

I'm getting tired of hearing that Droughns is a fullback.

I think his *listed* weight is 207, but during the game they reported he's more like 220--still not big by FB standards, but pretty solid for RB.

Who cares! He's big enough, he's fast enough, and by golly he's tough enough to succeed (with apologies to SNL)!

Comment

It's the same thing with Mike Anderson, he started out as a pretty good sized running back, then moved to fullback, then back to running back. They're both in that size area where they could be considered a big runningback (not Bettis big) or a small to average sized fullback. Either way, he's running well and helping the offense out big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Buck 1981
            It's the same thing with Mike Anderson, he started out as a pretty good sized running back, then moved to fullback, then back to running back. They're both in that size area where they could be considered a big runningback (not Bettis big) or a small to average sized fullback. Either way, he's running well and helping the offense out big time.
            Kinda like Franco Harris size.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Buck 1981
              Droughns was on nfl network the other nite. He was standing side by side with TD. Believe it or not TD is way bigger than Droughns. TD looks like he is still running for 2000 yards a season. Anyway I was surprised at how small he looked next to TD. I think Tatum is bigger than Droughns.

Comment

an interesting fact on Droughns is he said when he was playing fullback he got a lot of practice seeing how holes open and getting through them fast, being a leadblocker. This means he is just like an experienced back as far as hitting the holes goes.
                The Denver Broncos - 6 Time AFC Champions ('77, '86, '87, '89, '97, '98)

2 Time NFL Champions ('97, '98)

Stomping on the Competition since 1960.

Comment

Originally posted by CONative2291984
                  an interesting fact on Droughns is he said when he was playing fullback he got a lot of practice seeing how holes open and getting through them fast, being a leadblocker. This means he is just like an experienced back as far as hitting the holes goes.
                  Good point, the fullback has to get through the hole very quickly to make the block before the RB makes it there. In most cases, the hole hasn't fully formed by the time the RB makes it there, so the fullback usually has to hit a smaller hole than an RB.

Comment

Who cares whether they say fullback or halfback? He is our running back and he is doing the job for us. He really has opened the eyes of people, especially Michael Irvin who has voted him the number one player in the last two weeks as the best player of the week.

Let's hope he keeps on opening peoples eyes. Fullback or halfback who really cares???
                    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

They can put a dress on him and call him "Sally" as long as he keeps running like that...

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
                        Who cares whether they say fullback or halfback? He is our running back and he is doing the job for us. He really has opened the eyes of people, especially Michael Irvin who has voted him the number one player in the last two weeks as the best player of the week.

Let's hope he keeps on opening peoples eyes. Fullback or halfback who really cares???
                        Well for one, I care. People aren't giving Droughns credit that he is actually a RB, and a good one at that. They all basically say that our system turned a fullback into a good RB. Not the case. Droughns was a great runner in college, and while that may not always translate well to the pros, he had a solid foundation to do well. He was in a zone blocking scheme with the Ducks, so this is nothing new to him.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
                          Well for one, I care. People aren't giving Droughns credit that he is actually a RB, and a good one at that. They all basically say that our system turned a fullback into a good RB. Not the case. Droughns was a great runner in college, and while that may not always translate well to the pros, he had a solid foundation to do well. He was in a zone blocking scheme with the Ducks, so this is nothing new to him.
                          He has only started two games. He will get his props and respect over time.

Comment

You are going to hear or read this for the rest of the year, fact is he was our FB. Dont let it bother just be proud of the fact that even a Broncos full back can be great.

Comment

YEah... lets Brag about THAT. "EVEN our FULLBACK can rush for 1300 yrds!!" Thats what we should say

Comment

Working...
                              X