Why wasn't Quentin Griffin successful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jrhampton

His stength is the draw, swing pass and a pitch out. Just how many of those were called in JAX and SAN. Oppose to the up the gut calls. There was NO mix.

This is why Q was ineffective.
    He is most effective when these plays are called.
    However, these plays are not called on every play.
    Hence, Q was ineffective because he is NOT an every down back.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

His stength is the draw, swing pass and a pitch out. Just how many of those were called in JAX and SAN. Oppose to the up the gut calls. There was NO mix.

Don't blame Q for shoddy calls or bad blocking.
      Remember that this is the NFL. Every player is not going to be given his perfect scenario to succeed on a silver platter. Youve got to be able to thrive in uncomfortable situations, as well as comfortable ones.
      The Denver Broncos - 6 Time AFC Champions ('77, '86, '87, '89, '97, '98)

2 Time NFL Champions ('97, '98)

Stomping on the Competition since 1960.

Comment

He has forgotten more about running than you will ever know. Till you have walked in his shoes, looking at up at no hole where it is supposed to be don't make stupid comments about him.

How many time has he made a cut on the field that was unbeleiveable more times than "running headlong into a defenders arms" When the line is not blocking sometime there is no where to go and I suspect that the coaches have told him not to cut back the other direction to try and make a play. Saw that a lot when watching some of his college games.

Don't blame Q for shoddy calls or bad blocking.
        Thank you, Oh wise man. You have all of the answers. Puh. I call it like I see it. Q does not wait for the holes to develop. He runs into it even if it isn't there. If you choose to ignore the obvious then that is your choice. Any way you look at it, Droughns is getting the job done better than Q. But keep making all the excuses up if it makes you feel better.

And while you are talking about me not knowing anything compared to Q and running the ball, maybe you should look in the mirror and say the same thing about you and Mike Shanahan. Who are you to question his playcalling? You aren't knowledgable to even hold his clipboard.
        Last edited by luvdembroncs; 10-21-2004, 01:51 PM.
        Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

• No excuse for failure only reasons.

If the D is waiting for him with 8 players cause Mikey is not mixing it up no one would have suceeded.

Q was put into a bad situation at best, if RD or CP or Ricky williams had been in there the outcome most likely have been the same.

NO BLOCKING means no blocking. Hard to beat a LB or DE already in your backfield at the same time you are getting the hand off.

Comment

• And Q wasn't a reason? Your right, it was the bad blocking that made him fumble.

Comment

• But I can't just believe that all of a sudden our blocking got... GOod. I have to believe that its a combination of the two. The way the line blocks works better with Droughns. The authority that Reuben hits the hole.. the ONE cut.. and then, when its not a huge hole.. he FORCES his way through. SOmething that Q can't/ doesnt do as well. But I still believe Q is going to be of value to us

Comment

• actually i thought there were lots of holes and open space, yet Griffin ran right into the pile on many occasions. I was getting pissed off because I could see the holes on my TV

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                  But I can't just believe that all of a sudden our blocking got... GOod. I have to believe that its a combination of the two. The way the line blocks works better with Droughns. The authority that Reuben hits the hole.. the ONE cut.. and then, when its not a huge hole.. he FORCES his way through. SOmething that Q can't/ doesnt do as well. But I still believe Q is going to be of value to us
                  Excellent points.

Comment

• Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                    NO S*** sherlock they were not called on any of the plays. In JAX or SAN. Well maybe not any but very sledom. They most tried the up the gut stuff.

As an offensive genuis you have to mix it up abit. Can't just call the plays you hope will work.

Everyone was gushing about RD in the TPA game when he got caught in the back field once broke loose from a CB and made the play. Do you realistically think had it been a DE or LB the outcome would have been the same? Could he have done it all game? No one will ever know you can only speculate that it would have happened or not.

RD is a good back and has two great games. Now that the opposing teams have seen what he can do. Do you think they may start to defense it? Will they be successful? Like they were against Q! Time will tell. I hope that all of the pieces are now in place for the running game to take us the rest of the way. But I would venture a guess that there will be bumps in RD's road much like Q's.

Comment

NO S*** sherlock they were not called on any of the plays. In JAX or SAN. Well maybe not any but very sledom. They most tried the up the gut stuff.

As an offensive genuis you have to mix it up abit. Can't just call the plays you hope will work.

Listen, Q is not well rounded enough to be an every down back. That is why he was ineffective.
                      you should chill out with the language.
                      you take way too much offense to differing point of views.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

No excuse for failure only reasons.

If the D is waiting for him with 8 players cause Mikey is not mixing it up no one would have suceeded.

Q was put into a bad situation at best, if RD or CP or Ricky williams had been in there the outcome most likely have been the same.

NO BLOCKING means no blocking. Hard to beat a LB or DE already in your backfield at the same time you are getting the hand off.
                        Just because say no blocking does that make it true. One other thing Jr., are really trying to say that Shanahan was setting Q up for failure? That is, he was looking for a reason to replace Q. See I think Shanahan likes his job and wants his players to be successful. Also if the blocking was the problem why didn't Shanahan just give the job back to QG this last week. Although Shanahan has said in the past starters can lose their starting role even if they get hurt, I have never seen replace a guy after missing just one game.
                        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                          Now that is a quality answer. Q is definetly effective on those plays. Even at OU he ran alot out of the shotgun, which were mostly draws and screens.

Comment

• Y are some of you so negative?

Q is only a Soph in the NFL, with the 1st year most of which was injured. How many successful players blossom in their 2nd year? Not many and how many years has RD been in the league...5 and we are his 2nd team. Cut Q some slack, granted he was a great college back, it takes some time to learn the ways of the NFL, he's not a 1st round pick. Look at how many years it took Elway to win a SuperBowl. There are also 10 other guys on the offense.

Comment

• Re: Y are some of you so negative?

Originally posted by broncosfan9798
                              Q is only a Soph in the NFL, with the 1st year most of which was injured. How many successful players blossom in their 2nd year? Not many and how many years has RD been in the league...5 and we are his 2nd team. Cut Q some slack, granted he was a great college back, it takes some time to learn the ways of the NFL, he's not a 1st round pick. Look at how many years it took Elway to win a SuperBowl. There are also 10 other guys on the offense.
                              That's fine. Many people realize and admit that Q has potential. But he is not ready to be the every down back. A lot of Bronco fans are tired of the spewage that we have been putting up with all summer about Q. He had his shot and struggled. We are proud that he is a Bronco and want him to contribute to the team. He just isn't an every down back though.

Comment

• Re: Re: Y are some of you so negative?

Originally posted by luvdembroncs
                                That's fine. Many people realize and admit that Q has potential. But he is not ready to be the every down back. A lot of Bronco fans are tired of the spewage that we have been putting up with all summer about Q. He had his shot and struggled. We are proud that he is a Bronco and want him to contribute to the team. He just isn't an every down back though.
                                Q is big enogh to be an every down back, but he is too young of a RB to do much agianst good Ds. He was overhyped by some REALY stupid OU fans that gave us all a bad name, and that hurt his rep among people that got mad at those people.
                                Eagles own u

Comment

Working...
                                X