Fox - We are not at ground zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox - We are not at ground zero

Speaking of defense he mentioned that we are not at ground zero but will do some key additions. what are they? we don't know but after watching film what you guys think will happen?

My thoughts are he will make changes to safety positions i.e Dawk and/or Hill will be gone. CB Goodman may not be here next year due to health concerns.

Based on Elway's recent comments he said he only spoke with CB Peterson at senior bowl.That says we might be leaning towards drafting CB in first round. May be they are trying to get someone in the front seven through FA but not sure who it will be.
    Last edited by broncozone; 01-30-2011, 02:53 AM.

I really hope the whole CBA mess gets figured out before the draft for the very reason of us getting a better idea of what to do with the draft. I would love to see us pick up some key parts for the Defensive Line so that with our pick we could add one of the two players that I think are the best in this draft in Von Miller or Patrick Peterson. Without Free Agency happening though it will be hard for us to pick anything but Defensive Line.

Comment

IMO i think that as a great of a player as Peterson is.. and he might be the best player in the draft, that fox knows that we have enough skilled guys in the secondary to have a decent defense. I feel that Fox wants to make heavy changes to the line and possibly the ILB position for 3-4. With the addition of DOOM that will be a huge key in defense. But defense comes down the the ability to stop the run, and then.. rush the passer on passing downs. We could possibly lose Dawk/Hill to McBath but hey personally i love McBath so i don't think that would be a huge loss. It comes down to guys being able to stop the run which is where we are hurting right now. I'm guessing if we don't land Fairley we might trade down a couple spots and draft that guy from Alabama, but i expect a defensive linemen with our first pick.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabronco24 View Post
        IMO i think that as a great of a player as Peterson is.. and he might be the best player in the draft, that fox knows that we have enough skilled guys in the secondary to have a decent defense. I feel that Fox wants to make heavy changes to the line and possibly the ILB position for 3-4. With the addition of DOOM that will be a huge key in defense. But defense comes down the the ability to stop the run, and then.. rush the passer on passing downs. We could possibly lose Dawk/Hill to McBath but hey personally i love McBath so i don't think that would be a huge loss. It comes down to guys being able to stop the run which is where we are hurting right now. I'm guessing if we don't land Fairley we might trade down a couple spots and draft that guy from Alabama, but i expect a defensive linemen with our first pick.
        Nobody knows what the future of our secondary holds. There are question marks accross the board.

1. Champ Bailey, Coming or going?

2. Perrish Cox, Prison or no Prison?

3. Brian Dawkins, Retirement or 1 more year?

4. Darcell Mcbath, Shows promise but can he stay healthy?

5. Andre Goodman, 33 years old and injured alot

6. Renaldo Hill, See Andre Goodman

7. David Bruton, Special teams ace but can he translate that to defense?

8. Nathan Jones, Does anybody here think he is more then a nickel back?

7. SyQuid Thompson, Showed flashes but undersized. See Nathan Jones.

We have not 1 sure thing for 4 spots as we head into the off season. So if the Broncos draft Peterson the fans should rejoice just as much as if we were to get Fairly. They are both huge needs for us. Add to that Peterson may be the best return man to come out since Devin Hester and his value goes up. He can change field position, change momentum with his return skills & impact a team in 2 out of 3 phases of the game.

I know peoples argument will be we have had a Hall of Fame corner and look what it has done for us. We need D Line with our 1st pick no matter what. Take a look at Mario Williams in Houston who by all accounts is a top 5 Defensive End. They can't stop nobody either because their secondary blows. You need to be good at both of these levels because no matter how good the Line is, it wont matter if the secondary can;t keep coverage for a few seconds & no matter how good the secondary is it wont matter because they can't cover all day.
        Last edited by 24TheCHAMP24; 01-30-2011, 07:35 AM.
        sigpic

Thanks to dbfan2007 for sig

Comment

It is possible ...

Originally posted by 24TheCHAMP24 View Post
          Nobody knows what the future of our secondary holds. There are question marks across the board.

1. Champ Bailey, Coming our going?

2. Perrish Cox, Prison or no Prison?

3. Brian Dawkins, Retirement or 1 more year?

4. Darcell Mcbath, Shows promise but can he stay healthy?

5. Andre Goodman, 33 years old and injured alot

6. Renaldo Hill, See Andre Goodman

7. David Bruton, Special teams ace but can he translate that to defense?

8. Nathan Jones, Does anybody here think he is more then a nickel back?

7. SyQuid Thompson, Showed flashes but undersized. See Nathan Jones.

We have not 1 sure thing for 4 spots as we head into the off season. So if the Broncos draft Peterson the fans should rejoice just as much as if we were to get Fairly. They are both huge needs for us. Add to that Peterson may be the best return man to come out since Devin Hester and his value goes up. He can change field position, change momentum with his return skills & impact a team in 2 out of 3 phases of the game.

I know peoples argument will be we have had a Hall of Fame corner and look what it has done for us. We need D Line with our 1st pick no matter what. Take a look at Mario Williams in Houston who by all accounts is a top 5 Defensive End. They can't stop nobody either because their secondary blows. You need to be good at both of these levels because no matter how good the Line is, it wont matter if the secondary can;t keep coverage for a few seconds & no matter how good the secondary is it wont matter because they can't cover all day.
          ... to augment the secondary without drafting Patrick Peterson.

Denver's secondary has needs, but they don't match the needs of the DL.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

We have needs all over the defense. Where do we begin? Don't you take the best (defensive) player available in the draft? If so, then it's Patrick Peterson, if he's available. He has the skills to be the next Champ.

Comment

You forgot Cassius Vaughn... He's also the fastest guy on the team, supposedly.

So, we sign Richard Marshall who Fox is familiar with and team him with Squid, Jones, Goodman, and Vaughn if Champ leaves. The big thing is, it really won't matter too much who is in the secondary if we develop a great pass rush. We could make these guys look a lot better if they didn't have to cover for 5+ seconds every snap.

Comment

Would you honestly pass on a guy who could just as good as Darelle Revis (not implying that Peterson will be that good)? I just don't think Fairley is going to be as good as Suh or Williams so I say draft the best defensive player available because we do have needs all over the place. This is shaping up to be a very deep defensive draft.
                sigpic

Comment

As long as our pass rush sucks our secondary will suck.

2008 and 2010 showed one thing is for sure with the talent level of the Denver Broncos defense.

It has one guy who can beat one on one blocks to consistantly rush the passer.

Even in 2009 when Doom was healthy it was not enough.

A solid defense needs 2-3 people who can rush the passer.

A good/great defense will have min 3 people who can rush the passer.

Any team that only has one good pass rusher will fail to get at the good QBs on good teams as a good team will always be able to take away one pass rusher.

Our defense will continue to suck until we get another elite pass rusher NO MATTER WHAT ELSE WE DO TO FIX IT
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

value

BLUF: I want a game-changer at the #1 pick regardless of position.

I believe there may be more value at the DT position in this draft. The kid out of Oregon, and the kid out of Temple may be available with our 2nd. I don't see a game-changing CB at that point in the draft.

However, I guess I am leaning for Bower with #1. I don't think DE's with his upside come around very often. If not him then I am happy with Peterson. I really believe Fairley is great, but does he have more upside than some of the other DT's who might be available with our 2nd?

Comment

This rebuild isnt gonna happen in a year. Its gonna take mutliple drafts to get it done. I think the way we should go is take the BEST defensive player available when we are drafting reguardlesss of position. Talent wins in this league make sure we get the best. If Robinson is most talented on the board then take him. Done draft on position, draft BPA
                      My friends over at Sports Radio Interviews sent me a link to an interview Pat Bowlen did with a Chicago-area radio station. While there is nothing earth-shattering here. Below is a segment of the transcript -

What are the Bears getting in Jay Cutler?

“They’re getting an extremely talented young quarterback.”

Some one Please name me the last successful NFL QB that had to be taught how to throw the ball correctly.

Comment

Fairley has a history of being not very motivated....and of being a very dirty player. Is he gonna get his money and do what Haynesworth did?
                        Watching the Mile High Magic from a mile high.

Comment

Originally posted by broncozone View Post
                          Speaking of defense he mentioned that we are not at ground zero but will do some key additions. what are they? we don't know but after watching film what you guys think will happen?

My thoughts are he will make changes to safety positions i.e Dawk and/or Hill will be gone. CB Goodman may not be here next year due to health concerns.

Based on Elway's recent comments he said he only spoke with CB Peterson at senior bowl.That says we might be leaning towards drafting CB in first round. May be they are trying to get someone in the front seven through FA but not sure who it will be.
                          No mention of our Dline? I'm absolutely sure either depth will be addressed or some major acquisitions will give our D Line a facelift. It all starts right there on the line and Fox needs to start there as well.
                          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

It seems as though a DB as an early pick is obvious based on who's available in the draft. I think our needs on DL are going to be met in the draft and later on through FA. It just seems that the teams with early picks would go more for offensive players over DL.

So in a class that has some number of DL coming into the league Denver may be competing with just a few teams. We might end up with a really good DB and our choice of almost any of the DL available. Those coming through the draft aren't turning too many heads and there's always a good find through the FA.

I think we'll be fine. Put together a wish list of a DB and DL and we are in a good position to actually make it happen.
                            Rhyme Time: Loose, Caboose. Lose, Boo's. Grieve, Peeve? Cat, Hat and all of that...

Comment

Can people stop with the whole "its okay, we'll fill holes in our secondary and LB with Free Agency". Has everybody been sleeping under a rock for the past year or so? You guys realize that with the whole CBA issue that free agency, if its even around this year, will be totally different than normal, and talking about "oh, we'll pick up richard marshall, deangelo williams and charles johnson, that'll work" is not only highly unlikely but seems like some madden logic that doesn't work in the real world.

Comment

Working...
                              X