Elway Coming Up On The Jim Rome Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by martz11 View Post
    All true things about Orton neck...until a 3rd down blitz rears its ugly head.
    Orton had 120 3rd down pass attempts last season. Of those, only ELEVEN were of the managable 3rd & short variety - just 9.2%. That's really stacking the deck against ANY QB having much success in the 3rd down, isn't it?
    "That's a crap question."
    - Kyle Orton

Comment

• Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
      They "benched" Orton at the end of the season BECAUSE HE WAS HURT. Badly enough that he couldn't play effectively.

If they're so set on Tebow as "the future," then why did they wait and keep playing an injured Orton for 2 more games?

EVEN AFTER McD WAS FIRED they still hesitated. Because the Broncos weren't mathematically out of it at that point. McD - a huge Tebow supporter who had reached for Tebow in the draft in the first place - obviously didn't feel Tebow was a better option to start over an injury-limited Orton while he still had a chance of avoiding a losing season.

Even after McD was sent packing and interim HC Eric Studeville had started his audition for the permanent HC position, they still couldn't pull the trigger on Tebow. It wasn't until Orton's play so limited because of his injuries that it was obvious he couldn't continue that they finally allowed Tebow on the field.

But Tebow had to wait until Orton was so badly injured that he was completely unable to play to be seen as a viable option. It hardly seems to me that the Broncos see Tebow as "the future" just yet. It looks more like they inherited a 1st round pick from the previous regime that they have to try out.

And stop with the "Tebow's got intangibles" babble-speak. What "intangibles?" He can run and he can pretend to be a leader by screaming. Other than that, there's not a lot. As far as I can see, he'd make a better H-back than a QB.

Orton has REAL QB "intangibles." He works well from under center. He has good footwork. He has a good, quick, compact throwing motion. He can read Defense both pre-and-post snap. He sees the whole field. He's good at audibling. He can go thru his progressions. The ball comes out of his hand very quickly. He places his throws where his reciever can make a play for it but the defender can't. He has "football smarts." He IS a REAL leader - a calm, collected and unflappable one who leads thru quiet strength and personal example rather than acting like a high-school cheerleader who missed her ridalin dose for the day.

I'm sure that Elway (and Fox and Xanders) realize that as well...

:orton:
      Don't hate on the 8!
      So what you're saying is that they should've benched him 2 games sooner. I completely agree with you.

And let me ask you this question. Did Orton have a compact release his rookie year? Did Orton have good feet from under center his rookie year? Was he great at reading defenses his rookie year?

It took time for Orton to get where he is, but he got there. It'll also take time for Tebow to get his release, his feet, and his reads to be great. But the point is he needs repetitions and experience to do that, just like Kyle got. If you notice, Orton had a lot of the same weaknesses coming out of college that Tebow has. Orton played in the shotgun almost exclusively at Purdue.

Comment

• Pleading ignorance here, but I could swear that Orton was upset about not playing the final game of the season because he was healed at that point.
        Decimating the competition, leaving in the wake a blind ambition.

elecshoc
        You will be for ever known as the truth see-er

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
          So what you're saying is that they should've benched him 2 games sooner. I completely agree with you.
          That would have been a better decision for Orton to heal more quickly. However, McD - and the Studesville - felt that even injured, Kyle Orton was a better bet than Tim Tebow.

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
          And let me ask you this question. Did Orton have a compact release his rookie year? Did Orton have good feet from under center his rookie year? Was he great at reading defenses his rookie year?
          Nope. Orton's throwing motion was at least as bad as Tebow's. Since he was also coming out of playing shotgun in a spread Offense, his footwork was just as bad too. And it didn't get any better as he played thru the season. It wasn't until after he sat thru the 2006 season and most of the 2007 season that he showed the good mechanics that he has now. It took 2 years of steady work for Kyle to fix those things. You can't re-do someone's footwork or make basic corrections to their throwing motion if they're busy getting ready to start next week's game.

But KO was pretty damned good at reading Defenses right out of college. Just had the natural mental disposition for it, I guess.

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
          It took time for Orton to get where he is, but he got there. It'll also take time for Tebow to get his release, his feet, and his reads to be great. But the point is he needs repetitions and experience to do that, just like Kyle got. If you notice, Orton had a lot of the same weaknesses coming out of college that Tebow has. Orton played in the shotgun almost exclusively at Purdue.
          And I've never said that Tebow can't fix his problems either. What I've said it that he needs a good, solid year or more focusing on them to do so. He can't do it while he's the starter. Those sort of basics should be corrected BEFORE he gets field experience.
          - Kyle Orton

Comment

They "benched" Orton at the end of the season BECAUSE HE WAS HURT. Badly enough that he couldn't play effectively.

If they're so set on Tebow as "the future," then why did they wait and keep playing an injured Orton for 2 more games?

EVEN AFTER McD WAS FIRED they still hesitated. Because the Broncos weren't mathematically out of it at that point. McD - a huge Tebow supporter who had reached for Tebow in the draft in the first place - obviously didn't feel Tebow was a better option to start over an injury-limited Orton while he still had a chance of avoiding a losing season.

Even after McD was sent packing and interim HC Eric Studeville had started his audition for the permanent HC position, they still couldn't pull the trigger on Tebow. It wasn't until Orton's play so limited because of his injuries that it was obvious he couldn't continue that they finally allowed Tebow on the field.

But Tebow had to wait until Orton was so badly injured that he was completely unable to play to be seen as a viable option. It hardly seems to me that the Broncos see Tebow as "the future" just yet. It looks more like they inherited a 1st round pick from the previous regime that they have to try out.

And stop with the "Tebow's got intangibles" babble-speak. What "intangibles?" He can run and he can pretend to be a leader by screaming. Other than that, there's not a lot. As far as I can see, he'd make a better H-back than a QB.

Orton has REAL QB "intangibles." He works well from under center. He has good footwork. He has a good, quick, compact throwing motion. He can read Defense both pre-and-post snap. He sees the whole field. He's good at audibling. He can go thru his progressions. The ball comes out of his hand very quickly. He places his throws where his reciever can make a play for it but the defender can't. He has "football smarts." He IS a REAL leader - a calm, collected and unflappable one who leads thru quiet strength and personal example rather than acting like a high-school cheerleader who missed her ridalin dose for the day.

I'm sure that Elway (and Fox and Xanders) realize that as well...

:orton:
            Don't hate on the 8!
            Orton was healthy enough to play in the final 2 games, so don't give me that excuse.

REAL QB INTANGIBLES? Are you serious? How does diving 2 yards short of a 1st down when no one is near you sound as REAL QB INTANGIBLES? In my opinion, the benching should've happened about 2 games earlier than it did.

Don't scream when you hear 15!
            sigpic

Comment

And I've never said that Tebow can't fix his problems either. What I've said it that he needs a good, solid year or more focusing on them to do so. He can't do it while he's the starter. Those sort of basics should be corrected BEFORE he gets field experience.
              But isn't the best way to get experience & work on his passing game is by getting actual playing time? He sat out almost all of last season, so I think that's plenty of time. He needs to see real action so he can improve the way everyone here wants him too.
              sigpic

Comment

That would have been a better decision for Orton to heal more quickly. However, McD - and the Studesville - felt that even injured, Kyle Orton was a better bet than Tim Tebow.

Nope. Orton's throwing motion was at least as bad as Tebow's. Since he was also coming out of playing shotgun in a spread Offense, his footwork was just as bad too. And it didn't get any better as he played thru the season. It wasn't until after he sat thru the 2006 season and most of the 2007 season that he showed the good mechanics that he has now. It took 2 years of steady work for Kyle to fix those things. You can't re-do someone's footwork or make basic corrections to their throwing motion if they're busy getting ready to start next week's game.

But KO was pretty damned good at reading Defenses right out of college. Just had the natural mental disposition for it, I guess.

Another solid post! You're on fire today!

I don't know how much I agree with KO being good at reading defenses right out of college. He had a 59.7 QB rating his 1st year. How good could he have been?

You could be right. Tebow might need another year or so to work on being that pocket passer. He does have a lot of work to do. I put his development at about 2 to 3 years.

What do you think for the long term prospects of Orton in Denver?

Comment

• Originally posted by RazR View Post
                  But isn't the best way to get experience & work on his passing game is by getting actual playing time? He sat out almost all of last season, so I think that's plenty of time. He needs to see real action so he can improve the way everyone here wants him too.
                  I might agree with neckbeard on this. Game time and during the season isn't the best time to work on your fundamentals.

Honestly, I think it really depends on how much progress Tebow makes this offseason. I also think Tebow's progress will also let Elway and Fox know what to do with Kyle Orton. Hopefully they keep both. I would love to have Tebow and Orton battle it out for the starting job. I think the Broncos would be much better off if it happened that way.

Comment

I might agree with neckbeard on this. Game time and during the season isn't the best time to work on your fundamentals.

Honestly, I think it really depends on how much progress Tebow makes this offseason. I also think Tebow's progress will also let Elway and Fox know what to do with Kyle Orton. Hopefully they keep both. I would love to have Tebow and Orton battle it out for the starting job. I think the Broncos would be much better off if it happened that way.
                    The only worry I have with that is...limited fist team reps if they compete and split 'em.

A decision has to be made fairly early...I just hope whoever it is can give us a better season than last year.
                    Disclamer: Anything stated by Hippie Guy is meant to be sarcasm and should not be construed as or mistaken for anything serious.

Comment

Another solid post! You're on fire today!
                      Or else you just started drinking earlier than usual.

I don't know how much I agree with KO being good at reading defenses right out of college. He had a 59.7 QB rating his 1st year. How good could he have been?
                      He could read Defenses, he just had accuracy issues due to his throwing motion and a lack of familiarity with the recievers - he was pressed into starting just a week or so prior to the start of the regular season.

You could be right. Tebow might need another year or so to work on being that pocket passer. He does have a lot of work to do. I put his development at about 2 to 3 years.
                      He might have been ready going into the 2011 season, but McD just had to use him right away and wasted Tebow's development time learning gimmick packages instead.

What do you think for the long term prospects of Orton in Denver?
                      I think that Orton could be a very successful QB on a John-Fox-coached team in the long run. He has all of the tools needed and Fox will surely get him enough support from a Defense and run game to push him right over the top.

But there are other considerations. I believe that the new Broncos management troika are undecided about Tebow right now. What they eventually do decide is what will dictate Orton's fate as a Bronco.

I don't think that the trade situation is looking very promising either. I'm not sure, but I think that without a CBA in place they can't trade Orton. With the possibility of a lockout, other teams may not want Kyle with only one year on his contract. And the rumored asking price is a bit high as well, but a desperate team might cough it up...
                      - Kyle Orton

Comment

Orton had 120 3rd down pass attempts last season. Of those, only ELEVEN were of the managable 3rd & short variety - just 9.2%. That's really stacking the deck against ANY QB having much success in the 3rd down, isn't it?
                        But that's when we need Orton to be a playmaker. How did he do?

Comment

Working...
                        X