Great leaders in Broncos history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great leaders in Broncos history

I'm writing my first article for PO about leadership and I wanted some opinions. Who do you think are some of the great leaders in Denver Broncos history? Who are the current leaders of the team? This can be players, coaches, or anyone connected to the team in its history.

When I think leadership of the past, I think Al Wilson. As for today's team, I think Brian Dawkins and Tim Tebow. Who do you think are/were great leaders?

Seeing as how I am considered young at 19 I can only really think of Elway, Al Wilson, John Lynch, Bdawk, Teebs looks to be one. Some of the older fans would have to help you out a little more.

Comment

oh and Rod smith

Comment

Hey, how about TOM JACKSON!!!

Comment

Rod Smith - more of a leader by actions then words

Al Wilson - one of the best leaders we have ever had

Shannon Sharpe (I actually did not realize how good of a leader he was until he went to Balt and help build Trent Dilfer up as a QB, everytime during that year when Dilfer came under fire Sharpe was there supporting him with his own unique words that gave you the feel it was more then just the normal lip service teams put forth)

John Elway - he held team meetings, he would do things with EVERY teammate outside of football, he took what ended up being paycuts (was actually defering the money to years he did not play) so we could sign players. ALWAYS competed on the field no matter how bad it got...best leader of all time imo.

Alex Gibbs - not a player I know but this guy had his fingers in just about every aspect of a team that the OL coach can. When RBs/TEs/WRs would mess up Gibbs would get into their face. When Shanahan was calling too many passing plays Gibbs would bring it up to Shanahan. Meanwhile he had COMPLETE control over what maybe was one of the best OLs in history...rules were changed because of how his OL played. We love to remember TD, Elway, Sharpe, Rod Smith and other greats from the Super Bowls but we were dominant because of our OL.

Dennis Smith - fearless safety. Seemed to always make a big hit or force a fumble when the defense really needed it. One of my favorite games he played was the game against Wash when Elway got food poisoning. Their RB (forgot his name) was tearing us up. After a couple Smith hits and a forced fumble you could see the RB no longer had the mental confidence to play at top level.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Dawkins and Plummer

Comment

No love for Steve Atwater he was our Polamalu no he didnt get a lot of INT's but he was a tackler a blitzer and emotional and team leader that took us to the SB.

Try winning a SB without him

After that Al Wilson was the heart and sole of the defense and we havent had the same leadershhip since the fastest MLB in the league left the game
              Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 02-03-2011, 11:30 AM.
              2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
                Hey, how about TOM JACKSON!!!
                End of conversation.

If I had to start today with building a new franchise, and I could take any player in the history of the Denver Broncos to be my first player, it wouldn't be John Elway.

It would be Tom Jackson. The one, the only, the emotional heart and soul of the Orange Crush Defense.

"It's all over fat man!"

He made us great at a time we shouldn't even have been good.

Elway could toss the pill. That's for sure. But Tom Jackson made a bad team good - on both sides of the ball, every single day.

He never got in trouble. Not once. Not ever. He has remained a very public figure his entire life, and has never once been on the wrong side of the news reel.

You can build a franchise around a quarterback like Elway, but you can build a dynasty around someone like Tom Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
                  After that Al Wilson was the heart and sole of the defense and we havent had the same leadershhip since the fastest MLB in the league left the game
                  I miss Big Al's play...

He was one of our greatest.
                  Disclamer: Anything stated by Hippie Guy is meant to be sarcasm and should not be construed as or mistaken for anything serious.

Comment

Floyd Little??

I don't know lol. Just wanted to go with someone who hasn't been stated yet

But my thinking was that after all, he is "the franchise." And his hall of fame speech had "leadership-like" qualities imo. Still not sure if that translates to what he did about 50 years ago....just throwing names out there
                    sigpic
                    Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

Comment

I would put in a vote for Randy Gradishar.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie Guy View Post
                        I miss Big Al's play...

He was one of our greatest.
                        If we could merge Martez Wilsons athleticism and ball skills with Greg Jones leadership and personality weld have the next Al Wilson. I wish we could bring him back as an assistant LB coach just for his leadership and maybe we can mold the next great MLB into him
                        Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 02-03-2011, 02:28 PM.
                        2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

If you want a name that isn't as well known as some others: Ray May.

Ray May only played a couple of years at LB for the Broncos, but he was a great leader. He came from the Colts and gave our young D (including a young Tom Jackson) leadership and credibility and helped transform our D into the Orange Crush.

May was best known for having all the D players hold hands in the huddle to show unity.

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                          End of conversation.

If I had to start today with building a new franchise, and I could take any player in the history of the Denver Broncos to be my first player, it wouldn't be John Elway.

It would be Tom Jackson. The one, the only, the emotional heart and soul of the Orange Crush Defense.

"It's all over fat man!"

Elway could toss the pill. That's for sure. But Tom Jackson made a bad team good - on both sides of the ball, every single day.

He never got in trouble. Not once. Not ever. He has remained a very public figure his entire life, and has never once been on the wrong side of the news reel.

You can build a franchise around a quarterback like Elway, but you can build a dynasty around someone like Tom Jackson.
                          And taking TJ over Elway...Seriously? And what "bad" team did TJ play on? I'm as big a TJ fan as anyone, but let's get real.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                            If you want a name that isn't as well known as some others: Ray May.

Ray May only played a couple of years at LB for the Broncos, but he was a great leader. He came from the Colts and gave our young D (including a young Tom Jackson) leadership and credibility and helped transform our D into the Orange Crush.

May was best known for having all the D players hold hands in the huddle to show unity.

And taking TJ over Elway...Seriously? And what "bad" team did TJ play on? I'm as big a TJ fan as anyone, but let's get real.
                            Jackson played from 1973 until 1986. Look up our records from those years. Look at the players.

73: 7-5-2
                            74: 7-6-1
                            75: 6-8
                            76: 9-5
                            77: 12-2
                            78: 10-6
                            79: 10-6
                            80: 8-8
                            81: 10-6
                            82 (strike year): 2-7
                            83: 9-7
                            84: 13-3
                            85: 11-5
                            86: 11-6

Even in 77' we had an amazing run defense - but we had what was close to the worst pass defense in the entire NFL (if not the worst).

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                              End of conversation.

"It's all over fat man!"

What about Gradishar. Didn't Jackson even say that the defense looked up to him?

Comment

Working...
                              X