Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second coming of TD, but not in a good way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second coming of TD, but not in a good way.

Droughns is looking fantastic. Teams have to gang-tackle him. But when I look at all the times he is being used (38 runs last game) I can't help but remember how we overused TD and possibly ended his career pre-maturely. If we keep using him at this pace he will blow a knee out.

Re: Second coming of TD, but not in a good way.

Originally posted by EMCF
    Droughns is looking fantastic. Teams have to gang-tackle him. But when I look at all the times he is being used (38 runs last game) I can't help but remember how we overused TD and possibly ended his career pre-maturely. If we keep using him at this pace he will blow a knee out.
    EMCF TD's career was ruined be having to tackle a guy after Griese threw an interception it wasn't imho not from over use. Honestly, I would not expect Shanahan to give the ball to Reuben 30 or more times every game. Ultimately I would bet that RD averages between 20 and 25 carries per game.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

no, rueben will get 25-30 a game....

Comment

Personally.. I think Droughns got so many carries because a certain OTHER running back in the league got used that many times in his games.. and rushed for 171 yrds. I think both Mike and Rueben wanted to show the Bronco fans that he is JUST as good.

Comment

Droughns got that many carries because of the weather conditions. It is better to run than to pass when it is raining.
          Smith's First Catch
          "It was Sept. 17, 1995, and as the clock ticked down to 0:00 in the game against Washington at Mile High Stadium, Smith outleaped the great Darrell Green to catch the game-winning touchdown pass from Elway."

Comment

but we could have used another running back to take some of those.

you think its a coincidence that Portis rushed 36 times for 171 yrds earlier, and Droughns ended up with 38 rushes for 178 yrds? *chuckles*... Mike is making a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!

you think its a coincidence that Portis rushed 36 times for 171 yrds earlier, and Droughns ended up with 38 rushes for 178 yrds? *chuckles*... Mike is making a point.
              I did not think it was a coincidence. I was hoping that Droughns would bust one so that he would have more yards than Portis.
              Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Rav, in the Post Game interview Shanahan said it because of the weather and that Droughns is the most sure handed back we have right now.
                John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Yes, but Shanny said after the game that he had confidence that Droughns wouldn't turn the ball over. What that says to me is that, although Shanny didn't out and out say it, he didn't want to risk a fumble by Griffin (who we already know has the history) or by Bell (who had that rep from college) in less than ideal weather conditions.

And to be honest, as a fan I felt a lot better about Droughns hanging onto that ball than any of our other backs.

And he might have been wanting to make sure Droughns out-rushed Portis.
                  "You can't take the sky from me..."
                  ------
                  "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

To think Shanahan gave the ball to Droughns so he could get more yards than Portis is utterly a$$inine.

1st off, Shanny doesn't get little up-to-the-minute tickers of all the action around the league like we fans do. How -would- he even have a clue how many yards Portis got? I'm betting $s to doughnuts that Shanny isn't watching early games 5 minutes before the start of our games.

Get real, already.

The ball was given to Droughns because he is a stud & we needed to run time off the clock minus the Little Gerbil putting it on the carpet.

Simple as that. Portis had NOthing to do with it.

T777
                    "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

***News flash***

The knee that ended TD's career was injured when he was in college. He was a time bomb. The knee he injured with the Broncos healed much better, but by the time he was recovered the degenerative condition in his other knee was too bad.

Nothing could have prevented what happened. Just be glad we got to use him to his full potential while he was healthy.

Comment

TD's career got cut short due to Matt Lepsis falling on his leg when they were chasing a Jets DB after he INT'd Griese's pass.

Comment

Re: ...

Originally posted by Trench777
                          The ball was given to Droughns because he is a stud & we needed to run time off the clock minus the Little Gerbil putting it on the carpet.

Simple as that. Portis had NOthing to do with it.

T777
                          I thought your post was great and to the point, up until the "Little Gerbil" comment. How 'bout dropping the name calling.....he IS a bronco and could very well play an important part in the remaining games......
                          "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                          tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                          men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
                            ***News flash***

The knee that ended TD's career was injured when he was in college. He was a time bomb. The knee he injured with the Broncos healed much better, but by the time he was recovered the degenerative condition in his other knee was too bad.

Nothing could have prevented what happened. Just be glad we got to use him to his full potential while he was healthy.

****News flash*****

Reuben broke his leg in college, so I guess he's a time bomb too.....

moron....
                            Rod Smith's response to Clinton Portis about being traded to Washington...

"Why the %^&! did we do that?"

Comment

T777

Of coure Mike didnt admit it.. or wish to make a POINT that it was because of it. I would say that the conditions DO make sense to run the ball.. of course they do. But we saw Shanahan give the ball to Griffen at the end of the TB game, after he (Quinten) had just fumbled three before that. So don't tell me that he just NOW feels that he needed Rueben to hang onto the ball during a 33-3 route. I'm sure he wanted to hang onto the ball, and grind it out, but come on.

To think Shanahan gave the ball to Droughns so he could get more yards than Portis is utterly a$$inine.

Really? So the thought that the coach of our team, the one that prides himself and prides the Broncos in the running game.. the one that got the MOST criticism for trading away Clinton Portis in the offseason... doesn't feel, at ANY time, that he has the need and desire to SHOW that he didn't make a mistake in the trade? You don't think that he felt crapped on by Portis deciding to hold out for more money? You don't think he has a little pride to show the critics that said he couldn't replace Clinton. The ones that kept saying THIS was the year he was going to be FIRED because of his personell decisions? You don't think he enjoys, sometimes, shutting those that said he would be coaching college football next year because of this trade? I think he was able to take advantage of the game and SHOW alllll those that doubted, alll those that called for his head, all those that said our running game would FAIL because of the loss of runnng backs and because of moved coaches, and even Clinton Portis himself. He doesn't NEED up to the MINUTE updates when the game was played BEFORE ours even started.

Come on guys. This isn't a CRITICISM on Mike.. its just a simple point that I think played a part in it. Don't be NAIVE enough to think that alll those things still don't sting a man..even a man like Mike SHanahan. He DOES have things to prove. He has to PROVE to everyone that he Didn't make a mistake. Because if he loses a game this year, (a single game and especially a big game) because our running game is failing.. then he's not going to hear the end of it!! He made one of the BIGGEST trades in NFL history, and you guys don't feel he has to try and DEFEND that trade with play on the field??? How does he defend it better than having BETTER numbers than the ones that left?

Portis..36 rushes for 171 yards...
                              Droughs...38 rushes for 178 yrds.

Thats a coincidence? really? yeah.. call ME asinine and I'll call you Naive.
                              Last edited by Ravage!!!; 10-20-2004, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X