Yea I would say we got a good deal with the Redskins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea I would say we got a good deal with the Redskins

Bailey has been working well and we are living up to our reputation for running backs so I would say we aren't hurting from the deal.
    "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

It was already proven that our D could stop just about anything except an elite WR. Now we got the Champ to neutralize that aspect.

And of course, let's not forget having Lynch and Kennedy patrolling the open field.

But in order to fix a problem, needed to make a sacrifice. Obviously Mike felt it was well worth it ... which it is IMO.

Comment

I absolutely HATED the Portis trade when I first heard about it. But as soon as I heard the kind of money that Portis wanted, and the attitude he was taking, I knew we needed to trade him. You don't need a cancer like that on your team. And personally, after his championship belt thing at the KC game, well, let's just say I lost a lot of respect for both Portis and his cheerleader Sharpe after that game. (Although I still love Sharpe, I just wish he wouldn't have promoted such a low class thing)

Anyway, now looking back on the deal, it was a GREAT move. Being Broncos fans, we haven't had a good corner in decades. Having one now and seeing what he brings to the team is just incredible. Our D was good last year, but they are just fantastic this year. And don't talk to me about turnovers. Yes, I would like to get more, but 3 and outs are about just as good. Oh, and we got a 2nd round pick? Honestly, after seeing how good Champ is, I can't believe Washington made this trade. Good for us.
      Where does the abuse of end? Where?

Comment

When I heard talks of the trade I was wishing it'd go through, cuz I knew we'd find a capable replacement. And I didn't like how Portis was demanding to be the highest paid runningback in the history of football. to me he wasn't worth it.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
        Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
        Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
        Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

I could not agree more. Champ has been everything we could have wanted and more. He can not only cover but he has made huge tackles in our run defense and has been a breath of fresh air and has not shown a proud spirit.

Right now at this time I wish Portis success in Washington, I will never forget what he did for my son at training camp and he was a good player for us. He got what he wanted, I just hope it is really what he wanted because he was really helped by the Denver running system and if he is looking for stats, I don't think he will get them in Washington.
          Just my opinion of course....
          Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

does anyone recall who the die hard ..broncos are gonna suck cause shanny traded the best back in the league ,people were?
            do you guys remember all the whinning,,
            sigpic
            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho
              does anyone recall who the die hard ..broncos are gonna suck cause shanny traded the best back in the league ,people were?
              do you guys remember all the whinning,,
              I wasnt posting on this board at that time. I probably would have been trippin a little. But I usually just see what happens and move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                I wasnt posting on this board at that time. I probably would have been trippin a little. But I usually just see what happens and move forward.

yeah we all move forward but , i think its funny how some fans who thought they knew the game so well couldnt see the benifit of having someone like bailey, and thought we gave up the world to get a defensive player who wouldnt help much. to that point i remember some posters were all upset that we traded the best corner, who in their opinion was better then bailey to the bengals
                sigpic
                when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
                  I could not agree more. Champ has been everything we could have wanted and more. He can not only cover but he has made huge tackles in our run defense and has been a breath of fresh air and has not shown a proud spirit.

Right now at this time I wish Portis success in Washington, I will never forget what he did for my son at training camp and he was a good player for us. He got what he wanted, I just hope it is really what he wanted because he was really helped by the Denver running system and if he is looking for stats, I don't think he will get them in Washington.
                  Just my opinion of course....
                  oh yeah...I have no hard feelings towards him, I hope he does well in DC. I'm glad he got to make a difference in your sons life and he did very well when he was here.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
                  Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
                  Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
                  Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho
                    yeah we all move forward but , i think its funny how some fans who thought they knew the game so well couldnt see the benifit of having someone like bailey, and thought we gave up the world to get a defensive player who wouldnt help much. to that point i remember some posters were all upset that we traded the best corner, who in their opinion was better then bailey to the bengals
                    I can remember some posts about Oneal being better than Champ. What a laugh? The thing about Bailey and Portis is not that fans actually know the true benefit of a shut down corner. They didnt know Bailey. Ppl are getting to know him now. I knew he was supposedly the best corner in the league. However, I never really watched or kept up with the redskins. Say if we were trading for Primetime in his prime. It would have been different, because ppl have seen him play alot of football.

Comment

I didn't like it at first, but Portis was grousing about his contract (again), and now its looking like a steal IMO.
                      This space for rent

Comment

All the hand wringing, an whining about what are we going to do about losing poorti$$.

When Mikey saw that poorti$$ had signed with a new agent Drew Something he knew that there was going to be trouble.

Mikey bent over backwards trying to accommodate his fears about injury, but would not back down about the new contract.

The greedy bastard wanted to be the highest paid RB ever, even though he was about the 5th or 6th most productive in the league over the two years.

I just hope that there are allot of incentive clauses in his contract that because of the crappy team he went to, that he will never meet them. Would serve the greedy punk good.

Comment

I was one of the first to question the trade not because of losing Portis but because of the times that I had seen Bailey play I was not overly impressed. Maybe it was because he had a bad game and that the announcers were talking up how the other corner was playing better than Bailey.

Now however after watching him play I have a whole new respect for him. First off most corners have a reputation for not sticking their noses in the play (Deon sanders) but I've seen Bailey several times jump up and make a play on a running back.

His ability to cover and shut down one side of the field makes the defence all the better because the safeties and linebackers can cheat over if they need to. It just makes the whole defence better. Don't forget having Lynch around certainly helps as guys aren't too keen on going over the middle.

As for Portis he's had a couple of big games but I bet if you were to ask a Redskins fan they would say they are disappointed. I think he is a good back but there may be more to the Bronco running back fatory than people give credit for.

Comment

As soon as i heard about the trade I was stoked because I knew it was gonna be a big deal for us. Looking back at the playoff game in Indy, Portis didnt really do anything, and Marvin Harrison torched our pass defense. This year with the addition of Bailey, Lynch and Williams to our D which was already ranked 4 last year our D is unbelievable. Plus we got Tatum Bell, a guy with Portis' speed, and Droughns has come on and looks like he can put up Portis type numbers on his own.

Also when you have a proven system that has produced 4 backs who have gone over 1000 yards, a league MVP, and two rookies of the year, it is almost your duty to trade away the "flavor of the month" as Portis was for the good of the team, knowing that you have a plethora of talent waiting to get on the field.

This is a great move that promoted the team concept instead of individual greediness.
                            Last edited by CONative2291984; 10-21-2004, 01:36 PM.
                            The Denver Broncos - 6 Time AFC Champions ('77, '86, '87, '89, '97, '98)

2 Time NFL Champions ('97, '98)

Stomping on the Competition since 1960.

Comment

Originally posted by Atwater His Ass
                              I absolutely HATED the Portis trade when I first heard about it. But as soon as I heard the kind of money that Portis wanted, and the attitude he was taking, I knew we needed to trade him. You don't need a cancer like that on your team. And personally, after his championship belt thing at the KC game, well, let's just say I lost a lot of respect for both Portis and his cheerleader Sharpe after that game. (Although I still love Sharpe, I just wish he wouldn't have promoted such a low class thing)

Anyway, now looking back on the deal, it was a GREAT move. Being Broncos fans, we haven't had a good corner in decades. Having one now and seeing what he brings to the team is just incredible. Our D was good last year, but they are just fantastic this year. And don't talk to me about turnovers. Yes, I would like to get more, but 3 and outs are about just as good. Oh, and we got a 2nd round pick? Honestly, after seeing how good Champ is, I can't believe Washington made this trade. Good for us.
                              what about when we played NE and he called in for the national gaurd ... i know that aint a cancer but in comparrison that is just about the same thing championship belt _ natioanl guard
                              The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                              While he sits by his hearth at home.
                              Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                              That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X