No announcement yet.

The Defensive MVP so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well im gonna pull a Madden, and do what he does with his Horse Trailer : Player of the Game, and put up more than one guy.

Im going to nominate the entire defensive squad!
    2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
      Geez, are you a Greg Robinson fan who is still pissed that he was fired a few years back? Just having talent isn't going to let you have a great defense. You need BOTH talent AND a good/great coordinator. Robinson was an example of a coordinator who had really good talent and managed to waste it quite a bit. (e.*. His last Bronco season we were 24th in the league despite having the likes of Pryce, Romo, Mobley and Wilson.)

Coyer is a good coordinator and has done an admirable job of fitting the pieces together to form a potent defensive unit. Last year, we lost Mobley and Gold and had two first time starters at cornerback and yet we still finished with the #4 overall defense.

This year, we have Champ but have been missing our best defensive lineman for most of the season and our #2 corner and have two different starting linebackers from our main trio last year, yet Coyer has mixed and matched players (many new to the Broncos this year) well enough to have us ranked #1 in the NFL in defense.

His players all seem to be fans (except for Gardener last year) and he has even been described as the kind of coach that you'd run through a brick wall for. I'm not claiming he's one of the best all-time defensive coaches but I'm surprised when I hear people in this forum who don't want to give him any credit for the defense's success.
      I never mentioned *. Robinson, although he was the D-coordinator when Denver won the two SB's. I do believe one of the reasons Denver's defense hung in against GB in the first SB is a result of the pressure they brought on Farve. Atwater's forced fumble, Braxton's INT. I have it on tape if you want to see it again.

Yes, the Denver Defense was #4 last year and Coyer did a great job. Except we were torched against Indy, in the playoffs when it counts.

It appears to me that Denver does not bring much pressure via blitzes. The opposing QB's seem to have time to throw the ball downfield. Granted, they have not completed the big passes downfield (although we have had a few close ones). But will we be able to hold of P. Manning and T. Brady in the playoffs? Will we be able to hold off D. Culpepper or D. McNabb in the SB? I do not want to wait and find out. I say we bring pressure. That is what I am asking for - L. Coyer to be more aggressive and call more blitzes. Agasin, that is why we acquired C. Bailey, so that we can take more chances on D.

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
        He reminds me of Jim Johnso in philly and Monte Kiffen in Tampa. Old school defensive coordinators. Guys that seem like Generals more than coaches.
        Larry Coyer is nothing like Jim Johnson. Jim Johnson tries to but offenses in third and long situations and then bring defense presure on the QB to try and create turnovers.

Monte Kiffen runs his D similiar to Denver because of all the speed both TB and the DB have on defense. I still think that TB brings more pressure on the QB.

Comment

Originally posted by RCardoza278430
          Larry Coyer is nothing like Jim Johnson. Jim Johnson tries to but offenses in third and long situations and then bring defense presure on the QB to try and create turnovers.

Monte Kiffen runs his D similiar to Denver because of all the speed both TB and the DB have on defense. I still think that TB brings more pressure on the QB.
          I didnt mean that Coyer has a scheme like Johnson or Kiffen. He is just a old school coach like them.

Comment

I never mentioned *. Robinson, although he was the D-coordinator when Denver won the two SB's. I do believe one of the reasons Denver's defense hung in against GB in the first SB is a result of the pressure they brought on Farve. Atwater's forced fumble, Braxton's INT. I have it on tape if you want to see it again.

Yes, the Denver Defense was #4 last year and Coyer did a great job. Except we were torched against Indy, in the playoffs when it counts.

It appears to me that Denver does not bring much pressure via blitzes. The opposing QB's seem to have time to throw the ball downfield. Granted, they have not completed the big passes downfield (although we have had a few close ones). But will we be able to hold of P. Manning and T. Brady in the playoffs? Will we be able to hold off D. Culpepper or D. McNabb in the SB? I do not want to wait and find out. I say we bring pressure. That is what I am asking for - L. Coyer to be more aggressive and call more blitzes. Agasin, that is why we acquired C. Bailey, so that we can take more chances on D.
            Everyone is free to have their own opinion. But I just don't see how you can argue being the #1 defense. I guess some people are never satisfied.
            Last edited by luvdembroncs; 10-22-2004, 07:20 AM.
            Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

He is Blitzing a whole lot more than in the past. Havent you noticed. Middlebrooks has a sack. Kennedy has forced the QB to fumble. Lynch has been on the QB. Wilson and DJ have both got hits on the QB. He isnt doing it everydown, but he's getting the job done. Regardless of what you think, teams are gonna have time to go deep every once in a while.

Comment

I would have to say that entire team defense. They look so team oriented and so close on the field. They feel obligated to step up and make up for their recent playoff performance, now given that a few of them weren't here last post season, they still feel obligated to. The way they work together looks so damn natural.

I have to agree with Lava too. KK has really stepped his game up. Like I've been saying all along he just needed some veteran leadership and veteran help. Now he can focus on HIS assignment rather than having to worry on the other back there on the side of them have their down.

Kenoy is the vice grip, once he grabs you, you're going down to the ground.

D-BLOCK.
                D-BLOCK!

That's what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                  I just want to reiterate.
                  D.J. is leading the team in tackles. That's really impressive for a rookie. Who knows how good he'll be by the end of the year.
                  True.

Comment

Working...
                  X