No announcement yet.

Tim Tebow Part 4 (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really don't care what Tebow looks like throwing the ball, if he leads the team to victory that is all that matters. Tebow could go 9-20 175 1td 1 int, and rushing 6-50 1td
    I'm kind of like a big deal... sort of like a superhero.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaytea11 View Post

+1

I like Tim, but it seems evident to me that he doesn't have it to be an elite QB. What team wants a 3-4 year "project" QB... The elite QBs in the league are peaking by their 4th years.. not just getting started....

How can you say taht since he hasn't had ONE bad game since coming into the league? I mean...some elite QBs nearly had entire seasons of games that would have Tebow done for good.

I guess it's how you "look" doing it more than what you get done. ANY rookie QB...would like the first 3 game stat line that Tebow has. Any rookie QB would take not looking like a tool in any of their first preseason/regular season games.

Not saying he's elite...but everything I've seen on the field says he CAN be elite while not looking just like everyone else or doing it the same way.
      John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

Comment

• I just don't understand how so many of these talking heads can continue to repeat "college success just doesn't translate to the NFL"...however, when they actually like a prospect, they're all over the wonderful things they were able to do in college. You'd be hard pressed to show me a lack of success in Tim's college performance.

So he looks awkward throwing the ball. So what!? There's a new bowler on the professional bowling circuit (not sure how many people besides me actually watch pro bowling but whatever) who bowls with two hands. It's unconventional, but it works. Golfers now use the belly putters. Again, it's unconventional but it works. Until you can prove to me that Tebow can't win games with a decent cast of talent around him in the NFL, you cannot convince me that his throwing style is anything to be concerned about.
        Proud to be a lifelong crazed woman and descendant of a Colorado "century family"! (My family has been here since at least 1840)

Comment

• Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
          Lol if Tebow has problems under duress....Wth that say about the Ortonater?
          It doesn't matter how Orton IS under duress it's how he looks throwing every other time.
          Records don't matter, going fetal doesn't matter, bringing out the punter over and over doesn't matter.

He LOOKS like a QB....like Grbac, like Griese (though not as good), like Joey Harrington. So, he'll play for years....unfortunately.
          John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

Comment

• I have always thought that Tebow reminds me of Steve Young. He doesn't have the strongest arm in the league, but he has a great ability to scramble and make things happen downfield.
            11/22/11

Comment

• Originally posted by KO8pectate View Post
              Way to early in his career for Hoge to be saying Tim can never fix things. Just trying to get more web hits .
              I agree with you but Hoge is taking it further to say all these young QBs he doesn't like will never change. He has also added today that being accurate isn't about completing passes. With his analysis, I can think of several top 10 QBs today that would not be in the league if teams rated them with these standards the first couple of years in the league.

Hoge is starting to look like a complete hack. It's the NFL - if you don't look like I want you to look you aren't any good. Productivity be damned. I get what he is saying about ball placement but he using one or two examples and going from point A to point Z.

College ball is pumping out more and more spread option QBs today. Very few programs run a straight pro style offense. All these guys will take time to learn a new system unless the offenses in the NFL change. The shotgun snap is much more prominent today than 10 years ago in the NFL. What you expect to see in QBs on the field today may not be the same 5 years from now.

P.S. I actually think Orton is a perfect example of how QBs can change. He came from a spread system and has gotten some better it seems each year. He looks like a pocket passer today and I doubt he did his first year or two. Correct me if I'm wrong.
              Last edited by Nimrod; 08-17-2011, 11:40 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Just waiting for the "how-dare-you-compare-Tebow-to-a-hall-of-famer" rants to start.

Comment

• Why does Tebow have to be compared with anyone? Tebow is a different kind of QB, and if you have to compare him with anyone, it should be Vick. Tebow makes plays with his legs and is more comfortable throwing on the run. I believe forcing Tebow to stay in the pocket is a mistake. While I think Tebow should become comfortable in the pocket, Tebow should be allowed to play his game when the game is on the line.

Even Elway himself should realize the importance of playing his type of game. Under Reves Elway was hindered and only allowed to play his game in the 4th quarter when they were behind. It is why Elway is famous for all those 4th quarter come backs. Shannahan allowed Elway to play his type of game early on, which helped Denver to be up by 14 by the end of the 1st quarter. A defense can be much more aggressive when they play with a lead.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by KO8pectate View Post
                    Way to early in his career for Hoge to be saying Tim can never fix things. Just trying to get more web hits .
                    I refuse to click on any link that mentions Gregg Doyel. I'm getting close to that with Hoge.

Whatever his valid points were, they've already been made. The rest is sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
                      Why does Tebow have to be compared with anyone?
                      It's not so much comparing Tebow with Young, it's comparing a situation and how the perception by many real and self-proclaimed experts was wrong.

Only time will tell if this is the case with Tebow. His book hasn't been written yet.

Comment

• Ironic, how Shanahan and Kubiak sort of showed Young the way.

Comment

• Last I heard, SY was not too high on TT.
                          "There's only one person carrying the ball right here."
                          -Tim Tebow, 12/26/10, game winning drive

XV knows touchdowns.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
                            Why does Tebow have to be compared with anyone? Tebow is a different kind of QB, and if you have to compare him with anyone, it should be Vick. Tebow makes plays with his legs and is more comfortable throwing on the run. I believe forcing Tebow to stay in the pocket is a mistake. While I think Tebow should become comfortable in the pocket, Tebow should be allowed to play his game when the game is on the line.

Even Elway himself should realize the importance of playing his type of game. Under Reves Elway was hindered and only allowed to play his game in the 4th quarter when they were behind. It is why Elway is famous for all those 4th quarter come backs. Shannahan allowed Elway to play his type of game early on, which helped Denver to be up by 14 by the end of the 1st quarter. A defense can be much more aggressive when they play with a lead.
                            His accuracy is horrible when he hast to throw on the run...

Comment

• Originally posted by phaytal View Post
                              Sorry, but you are wrong.

Absolutely nothing has changed in the past 20 years as far as what a team looks for in a quarterback. No team wants a quarterback whos skill set is to check his first read, determine if they can make that pass, and if not, tuck it and run. Not one.

Tim Tebow would have been the same thing 20 years ago as he is today; a tight end playing the wrong position. Except I'm guessing 20 years ago, the Parcels and Ditkas of the world would have told him drop the quarterback fantasy and learn to block. You're my new starting TE.
                              Blah blah blah, Tim can't play at this level, blah blah blah.

By your "logic" a good percentage of very good quarterbacks that have had very successful careers in the NFL should have instead been forced to be tight ends, or running backs, or safeties, or whatever. Your argument is total crap.

Originally posted by jaytea11 View Post

+1

I like Tim, but it seems evident to me that he doesn't have it to be an elite QB. What team wants a 3-4 year "project" QB... The elite QBs in the league are peaking by their 4th years.. not just getting started....
                              The fact is, NO ONE has seen near enough of Tebow to tell what's "evident" or not. Again, many very successful QB's in the past have had a LOT worse first 3 starts than Tebow has had. I swear, by yours and everyone else's "expert" analysis for what constitutes a great quarterback, a lot of really good QB's wouldn't have even been given a chance at all to play at the NFL level.

Why is anyone at all listening to a word Hoge says about anything related to the skills of a quarterback?!? He was a running back for god's sake, and not a very good one at that. Why is he even being taken seriously at all when it comes to judging whether a QB will be successful or not at this level when he's had 3 starts and not even two full training camps at this level?

And speaking of funky deliveries, has anyone bothered to noticed how stupid Phillip Rivers' delivery is?!? He damn near throws it side armed! Please, stop with this delivery nonsense about Tebow. Every QB has balls batted down at the line. It happens, and having a higher release point will not eliminate it. Throwing accuracy will no doubt improve with better footwork, and Tebow is working on that. Any QB that plays in a spread offense in college will have exactly the same issues with footwork that Tebow has. So just give him some time to get it down.

The bottom line is, Tebow's still working on things and he's not been given near enough time to do so at this point. When he's given his chance to start for more than 3 games we'll hopefully be able to tell at that point whether he can perform at the NFL level or not. Until then, it's just Monday morning quarterbacking at it's worst. And Hoge is stirring the pot as much as he can because he wants to keep getting his name out there and he seems to think he has some sort of "expertise" on the matter.

Comment

• A lot of people are saying "I don't care if Tebow looks pretty doing it".

Well, ask yourself why pro QBs look good doing things. Mostly it's because of good mechanics. Think of good mechanics like free throws. If you have the same mechanics for a free throw, then you have the same feel every time that you make a free throw. It's the same amount of strength. The same amount of spin. If you have all of that, you can be consistent in your free throws.

It's the exact same for mechanics for a QB. You need to be able to make things repeatable. Your drop has to the be the same. Your delivery has to be the same. Then the lead you try to give your WR will have the exact same feel every time. The loft over the LBs will be have the exact same feel. If you do it right, you won't even have to think about it. But if you swing your off arm down causing more torque in your body some of the time, but not all of the time, then it changes the flight of the ball. You might have a more of a right to left action on the football than you normally have because of that force. That would cause your lead to be off for your receiver. It either causes you to have too much lead, or throw behind your receiver.

Tebow needs to take his game where Steve Young took his game. It's going to take time and it's going to take a lot of hard work. He needs to get started.

Comment

Working...
                                X