Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defense in 2011

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Defense in 2011

    If the season was to start today, how would your defense look if you could only use the players we have on our roster now.

    No free agents
    No draft picks
    No current broncos leaving as FAs


    LDE- Ayers/ Veikune
    NT- Kevin Vickerson/ Ron Fields
    UT- Marcus Thomas/ McBean
    RDE- Dumervil/ Hunter
    LOLB- DJ williams/ Haggan
    MLB- Mays/ Larsen
    ROLB- Woodyard
    LCB- Bailey/ Cox
    RCB- Goodman/ Thompson
    SS- McBath/ Dawkins
    FS- Hill/ Bruton


    With our current roster, i'm not sure how this defense would hold up. The linebackers would be an issue, no true Mike backer, and little depth at OLB.

    The corners are about the only solid group. The safety position is clearly an issue. I'm not sure if Dawkins has any left in the tank, although he will bring all he has to offer. McBath is still largely an unknown, and Hill, while a very savvy player, is getting older and isn't that impressive a physical specimen as it is.

    The DL is decent. Not great, but certainly not the worst we have had the last few years. Vickerson and Thomas both have excellent motors. Ayers could have a break out year with his hand back in the dirt. Dumervil will provide a much needed pass rush.

    Overall though, it is very clear that our team needs some help on this side of the ball.
    Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
    Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

  • #2
    Originally posted by broncsfan21 View Post
    If the season was to start today, how would your defense look if you could only use the players we have on our roster now.

    No free agents
    No draft picks
    No current broncos leaving as FAs


    LDE- Ayers/ Veikune
    NT- Kevin Vickerson/ Ron Fields
    UT- Marcus Thomas/ McBean
    RDE- Dumervil/ Hunter
    LOLB- DJ williams/ Haggan
    MLB- Mays/ Larsen
    ROLB- Woodyard
    LCB- Bailey/ Cox
    RCB- Goodman/ Thompson
    SS- McBath/ Dawkins
    FS- Hill/ Bruton


    With our current roster, i'm not sure how this defense would hold up. The linebackers would be an issue, no true Mike backer, and little depth at OLB.

    The corners are about the only solid group. The safety position is clearly an issue. I'm not sure if Dawkins has any left in the tank, although he will bring all he has to offer. McBath is still largely an unknown, and Hill, while a very savvy player, is getting older and isn't that impressive a physical specimen as it is.

    The DL is decent. Not great, but certainly not the worst we have had the last few years. Vickerson and Thomas both have excellent motors. Ayers could have a break out year with his hand back in the dirt. Dumervil will provide a much needed pass rush.

    Overall though, it is very clear that our team needs some help on this side of the ball.
    It's better than the POS this defense was in the 34...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
      It's better than the POS this defense was in the 34...
      Thats very true.

      Our LB depth was better in the 34, but that can be fixed
      Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
      Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by broncsfan21 View Post
        Thats very true.

        Our LB depth was better in the 34, but that can be fixed
        That's another reason that Miller make the most sense if they rate him near or equal to Darius. Plus this draft is deeper in DLine - Not that I want them to force any pick for need.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by broncsfan21 View Post
          If the season was to start today, how would your defense look if you could only use the players we have on our roster now.

          No free agents
          No draft picks
          No current broncos leaving as FAs


          LDE- Ayers/ Veikune
          NT- Kevin Vickerson/ Ron Fields
          UT- Marcus Thomas/ McBean
          RDE- Dumervil/ Hunter
          LOLB- DJ williams/ Haggan
          MLB- Mays/ Larsen
          ROLB- Woodyard
          LCB- Bailey/ Cox
          RCB- Goodman/ Thompson
          SS- McBath/ Dawkins
          FS- Hill/ Bruton


          With our current roster, i'm not sure how this defense would hold up. The linebackers would be an issue, no true Mike backer, and little depth at OLB.

          The corners are about the only solid group. The safety position is clearly an issue. I'm not sure if Dawkins has any left in the tank, although he will bring all he has to offer. McBath is still largely an unknown, and Hill, while a very savvy player, is getting older and isn't that impressive a physical specimen as it is.

          The DL is decent. Not great, but certainly not the worst we have had the last few years. Vickerson and Thomas both have excellent motors. Ayers could have a break out year with his hand back in the dirt. Dumervil will provide a much needed pass rush.

          Overall though, it is very clear that our team needs some help on this side of the ball.
          Fields, Thomas, McBean, and WW are all FA so are not on the team currently. WW is a RFA so he might be. So this defense would not hold up at all since Vickerson, Unrein, and Louis are the only DT on the roster currently and DJ very well might be suspended for the first 4 games leaving Mays, haggan, and Larsen as your starters.

          Personally, of the guys currently on the roster, I would put Lee Robinson at MLB backed up by Mays, Haggan at SOLB, and DJ at WOLB backed up by WW if he counts.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
            Fields, Thomas, McBean, and WW are all FA so are not on the team currently. WW is a RFA so he might be. So this defense would not hold up at all since Vickerson, Unrein, and Louis are the only DT on the roster currently and DJ very well might be suspended for the first 4 games leaving Mays, haggan, and Larsen as your starters.

            Personally, of the guys currently on the roster, I would put Lee Robinson at MLB backed up by Mays, Haggan at SOLB, and DJ at WOLB backed up by WW if he counts.
            What about braxton Kelly isn't he still on the roster? He could be a option since him and woodyard played in a 4-3 together for a while
            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
              Fields, Thomas, McBean, and WW are all FA so are not on the team currently. WW is a RFA so he might be. So this defense would not hold up at all since Vickerson, Unrein, and Louis are the only DT on the roster currently and DJ very well might be suspended for the first 4 games leaving Mays, haggan, and Larsen as your starters.

              Personally, of the guys currently on the roster, I would put Lee Robinson at MLB backed up by Mays, Haggan at SOLB, and DJ at WOLB backed up by WW if he counts.
              Yea, i've been debating on whether DJ should be Will or Sam. He likes Will the best, but he is also a very talented Sam backer. Woodyard could probably only play Will, and I was trying to get our best linebackers all on the field.

              Lee Robinson is an interesting proposition at Mike, I havent seen much of him, although we don't really have a legitimate MLB, so its definitely a possibility.
              Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
              Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gideon333 View Post
                That's another reason that Miller make the most sense if they rate him near or equal to Darius. Plus this draft is deeper in DLine - Not that I want them to force any pick for need.
                Miller seems more suited towards a 34 defense though doesn't he? I am not all that familiar with his abilities, how is he in pass protection? From what i have seen he seems like he is just a pass rusher?
                Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bronco Lover

                  The whole defense in general needs help. From top to bottom. It's not just part of it, it's all of it.
                  D.E

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Terminology

                    Broncos are switching to a four man line/split front 4-3.

                    The OP is using the designation NT and UT for the two DTs.

                    When you say NT, do you mean 1 tech/A Gap?

                    When you say UT do you mean Under Tackle, as in undershifted to the weak side?

                    An undershifted 4-3 line has a 5 tech over the OT on the weak side, a 3 tech on the weak side, a 1 tech on the strong side and a 9 tech on the strong side. This leaves the strong side T as well as the B and C Gaps uncovered. One way to solve this inherent weakness would be to put the strong side end in a 5 and the Sam backer in the 9.

                    I wonder if an undershifted line is really that much in use? Wouldn't it be better to overshift to the strong side instead? That is, put the weakside DT in the 1 tech; in other words over tackle not under tackle.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      Broncos are switching to a four man line/split front 4-3.

                      The OP is using the designation NT and UT for the two DTs.

                      When you say NT, do you mean 1 tech/A Gap?

                      When you say UT do you mean Under Tackle, as in undershifted to the weak side?

                      An undershifted 4-3 line has a 5 tech over the OT on the weak side, a 3 tech on the weak side, a 1 tech on the strong side and a 9 tech on the strong side. This leaves the strong side T as well as the B and C Gaps uncovered. One way to solve this inherent weakness would be to put the strong side end in a 5 and the Sam backer in the 9.

                      I wonder if an undershifted line is really that much in use? Wouldn't it be better to overshift to the strong side instead? That is, put the weakside DT in the 1 tech; in other words over tackle not under tackle.
                      Yes that makes sense, overshifting to the strong side rather than the weak.

                      Although, since we still have many players that were brought in to run a 34, could we not pull off an undershifted line? Do you think Ayers or Haggan could play in the 9 spot as Sam backers?
                      Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                      Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think ...

                        Originally posted by broncsfan21 View Post
                        Yes that makes sense, overshifting to the strong side rather than the weak.

                        Although, since we still have many players that were brought in to run a 34, could we not pull off an undershifted line? Do you think Ayers or Haggan could play in the 9 spot as Sam backers?
                        ...Ayers and Hunter are due to join Dumervil as DEs.

                        I think Haggan could play Sam as long as you never put him in single coverage. I think he could do the short zone; hook-curl-flat.

                        Actually I think DJ and Larsen at Mike, Woodyard at Will and Haggan at Sam are a start. Don't really know what to do with Mays (not a 4-3 Mike IMO) and Veikune (probably Will, maybe Sam).
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                          ...Ayers and Hunter are due to join Dumervil as DEs.

                          I think Haggan could play Sam as long as you never put him in single coverage. I think he could do the short zone; hook-curl-flat.

                          Actually I think DJ and Larsen at Mike, Woodyard at Will and Haggan at Sam are a start. Don't really know what to do with Mays (not a 4-3 Mike IMO) and Veikune (probably Will, maybe Sam).
                          they already said veikune is going back to a DE
                          A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            ...Ayers and Hunter are due to join Dumervil as DEs.

                            I think Haggan could play Sam as long as you never put him in single coverage. I think he could do the short zone; hook-curl-flat.

                            Actually I think DJ and Larsen at Mike, Woodyard at Will and Haggan at Sam are a start. Don't really know what to do with Mays (not a 4-3 Mike IMO) and Veikune (probably Will, maybe Sam).
                            I agree on Haggan, he could play sam as long as he doesn't have much responsibility in coverage other than the coverage you mentioned.

                            Mays was perfect as the Ted in the 34, however i agree that his place in a 43 is debatable. He would be a liability at Mike, could he play Sam?

                            Veikune i see playing DE, he was successful in college as a pass rusher, hopefully we can get some production out of him.

                            I like Larsen at Mike, he played the spot well back in 08 against the Falcons.

                            DJ i feel needs to play as an OLB, while he made a tremendous amount of tackles the year he played Mike, they weren't where you want your mlb to be making them.
                            Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                            Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sam, I'd be interested to hear what you would do on defense with our current personnel.

                              I consider you one of the primary authorities on the x's and o's on these boards, and as a student of the game I'd love to hear your ideas.
                              Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                              Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X