Defense in 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I wouldn't count on any rookies starting game one except for Miller, and that's not even guaranteed.

The likeliness of a short season makes it very unlikely that Moore is going to unseat a veteran like Hill.
    I think Irving and Franklin are very likely day 1 starts as well, especially Franklin. If Harris is not re-signed they really have no one else. I also don't think WW starts unless DJ is suspended. Barring suspension I see Miller and DJ starting then Irving, Mays, Robinson and Haggan will compete for the MLB spot. I think Irving would win it. You have a point though, with very little time to learn the pro offense, haggan might win by default. I just think Fox will put the playmakers on the field and coach them up as they go.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 05-01-2011, 04:44 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      I think Irving and Franklin are very likely day 1 starts as well, especially Franklin. If Harris is not re-signed they really have no one else. I also don't think WW starts unless DJ is suspended. Barring suspension I see Miller and DJ starting then Irving, Mays, Robinson and Haggan will compete for the MLB spot. I think Irving would win it. You have a point though, with very little time to learn the pro offense, haggan might win by default. I just think Fox will put the playmakers on the field and coach them up as they go.
      I agree on Franklin. Harris may not be around, and even if he is he has had back problems that have kept him off the field. I like the guy, he is good when healthy, he just isnt healthy that often.

Its going to be an exciting training camp and pre-season (if we have them).

BTW, 1000th post!
      Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
      Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

D line Potential

I know the system will be different and we have to bring back some players, but when people talk about how poor we are against the run why is there no mention of the teams we did stop the run against.

Several times last season we went up against the top rushing teams(at the time) in the league and shut them down. MJD, Arian Foster, Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, the Jets as a duo of LT and Green, or the KC duo of J. Charles and T. Jones(at least once).

This was with them being on the field all the time. Many times we would get the stop on first and second only to give up a 4 yard pass play and a new set of downs. That can't be placed on the DTs. They had no pass rush help to force the punt.

And many of the bigger games came on a small selection of blown runs. Now I'm not saying that our rush D was great, but it wasn't piss poor either. If anything I would call it inconsistent.

McFadden..,well what can say. Nobody would have thought that would happen either(much less twice).

So is there really no potential with the tools we have (or had I guess)?

Comment

Originally posted by Zanders76 View Post
          I know the system will be different and we have to bring back some players, but when people talk about how poor we are against the run why is there no mention of the teams we did stop the run against.

Several times last season we went up against the top rushing teams(at the time) in the league and shut them down. MJD, Arian Foster, Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, the Jets as a duo of LT and Green, or the KC duo of J. Charles and T. Jones(at least once).

This was with them being on the field all the time. Many times we would get the stop on first and second only to give up a 4 yard pass play and a new set of downs. That can't be placed on the DTs. They had no pass rush help to force the punt.

And many of the bigger games came on a small selection of blown runs. Now I'm not saying that our rush D was great, but it wasn't piss poor either. If anything I would call it inconsistent.

McFadden..,well what can say. Nobody would have thought that would happen either(much less twice).

So is there really no potential with the tools we have (or had I guess)?
          Same thought ran through my mind. Keep in mind a lot of our problems is our older guys are getting worn out from doing all the work and by the end of the game a 12 year old can put up numbers on our D. Our young boys can be a huge benefit for our older players. Especially if they play at an at least average level. Watch the Doom and Von team take a LOT of stress on our older guys (Champ, Dawkins, Renaldo, DJ)

Besides Fox knows more about Defense than ANYBODY on our squad, Xanders has a fairley decent eye and Elway peeks over both shoulders. They both have an idea how to run our line. I'm pretty excited!

Comment

Well said. I noticed that during the season. Like the last couple of years though, it seemed to worsen as the season progressed. Fatigue? Probably.

I'm glad they didn't reach in the draft (Dareus would have been nice). DT, unless your name is Suh, usually struggle when they face NFL OLinemen. Hopefully, they can pick up an established vet to add to the potential draftees and existing players and the Broncos will be more consistent this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco1263 View Post
              Well said. I noticed that during the season. Like the last couple of years though, it seemed to worsen as the season progressed. Fatigue? Probably.

I'm glad they didn't reach in the draft (Dareus would have been nice). DT, unless your name is Suh, usually struggle when they face NFL OLinemen. Hopefully, they can pick up an established vet to add to the potential draftees and existing players and the Broncos will be more consistent this year.
              The way I see it if we can get at least 3 SOLID starters from this draft its decent. I mean they want 4 and we'd all love them all to be studs but if we get 3 SOLID starters who make an impact I'm happy. Our pass defense is going to be exciting this year!

Comment

If anything it makes the Franklin pick so much more valuable. Getting the running game going would exponentially upgrade the ability of our run D to remain rested and gain a little more consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanders76 View Post
                  If anything it makes the Franklin pick so much more valuable. Getting the running game going would exponentially upgrade the ability of our run D to remain rested and gain a little more consistency.
                  I hope this guy is half the beast as Clady. If so we could have a pretty primo line along with a fresh, newly Foxxy built D-line. Our team is taking a lot of right steps guys

Comment

Working...
                  X