X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jrhampton
    replied
    Originally posted by TXBRONC
    Hard to call Ashely a failure when he's doing his job. Btw you don't have a chance to catch what isn't thrown your way. He also remains in the starting line up unlike others who cann't handle the rigors of being a starter.

We are primarily a run team always have been. But the top 2 receivers have been catching about 80 catches each year since Mikeys came to coach with a high of 100 for both Rod and Eddie for a couple of years. Rod has averaged 87 catches a year since he has been a consistant starter in 1997. The TE's have also caught about 70 passes a year.

I know that you, most of the board and I do not agree about assshley.

I just expect more form a #1 daft choice than I do a undrafted FA or the #2 pick rookie.

Not taking anything away from Rod, as he is superb.

Rod is on pace for 72+ plus receptions, and 900+ plus yards.
    assshley is on pace for 42+ plus receptions, and 800+ plus yards.
    Watts is on pace for 27+ plus receptions, and 400+ plus yards.

One thing that is not facored in is Eteh yards that WR's get from drawing PI calls. But that might be offset somewhat be the holding calls they get when we run the ball. This is porbably a wash to some degree.

asshley does not get the looks from the QB IMHO because he:
    has either not been open,
    not getting off the LOS,
    has been open and not in the correct spot,
    has not been able to hang on to the ball over tha past year with Jake,
    or just is so far down the progression that Jake does not see him.
    Or lastly but more likely he does not have the confidence that the ball will be held onto if it is thrown.

The progression thing can be corrected by the offensive coordinator, the rest of it is squarely on the shoulders of assshley and postion coaches.

I hope he can make a major contribution, but so far I think he was a waste of a #1 pick.

Maybe time to get Nate Jackson or Luke some game time.
    Last edited by Jrhampton; 10-24-2004, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PutzierChic06
    replied
    No one really knows who will get the ball each game since, like you said, we do spread the ball around a lot. The past two games, Putzier has been leading in reception yardage.. you would think Rod would have more or Lelie.. I think it is kind of exciting.

Leave a comment:

• Peerless
    replied
    We are a run first team you know. Jake just trust's Rod more because he knows that rod can catch the ball. Ash is a #2 WR right now, no more eddy mac to take his spot during the game. Another reason is we spread the ball out more, just like the pats. Do they really have a go2 guy? Look last game, Rod had 1 catch for 28 yards.

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by Jrhampton
    Kinda like ashley and nash. We probably do need to repaet those failures! Lets not waste draft choices.
    Hard to call Ashely a failure when he's doing his job. Btw you don't have a chance to catch what isn't thrown your way. He also remains in the starting line up unlike others who cann't handle the rigors of being a starter.

Leave a comment:

• KC10KC31KC88
    replied
    MIkeys track record dafting WR's in the first round.

What do you call a breakout season?

He is on pace to catch 43 passes this year is that what you expect from a highly regarded #1 top 20 draft choice!
    Compared by some on this board to Moss, speed hands and acrobatic catches.
    Speaking of assshley jst found this on teh web site..
    "Lelie has at least one catch of 30 yards or more in five of the Broncos' six games this year, and has an 19.3-yards-per-catch average. Lelie is on pace for 40 receptions; if he maintains his current clip for receptions and yardage per catch, he would notch the highest receiving average for a Broncos wideout with 40 or more catches since Al Denson amassed 19.5 yards per reception on 46 grabs in 1967.

Even though he's off to a good start, he says he hasn't heard the pat-on-the-back speech from Smith yet. That's because Lelie's accomplishments -- while stellar in helping the Broncos' offense to a No. 5 league ranking -- only represent three-eighths of the season."

Again what do you call a break out season 3 more catches than last year?
    Its not your WR's fault it is your stinkin QB! He sucks and that why you WR's suck because they can't get the ball! Also you run it 75% of the ttime!

Leave a comment:

• Jrhampton
    replied
    Originally posted by DBfan4lyfe
    Lelie is breaking out... Nash just sucks...

Who said they were gonna be busts- or the future Nashes?
    MIkeys track record dafting WR's in the first round.

What do you call a breakout season?

He is on pace to catch 43 passes this year is that what you expect from a highly regarded #1 top 20 draft choice!
    Compared by some on this board to Moss, speed hands and acrobatic catches.
    Speaking of assshley jst found this on teh web site..
    "Lelie has at least one catch of 30 yards or more in five of the Broncos' six games this year, and has an 19.3-yards-per-catch average. Lelie is on pace for 40 receptions; if he maintains his current clip for receptions and yardage per catch, he would notch the highest receiving average for a Broncos wideout with 40 or more catches since Al Denson amassed 19.5 yards per reception on 46 grabs in 1967.

Even though he's off to a good start, he says he hasn't heard the pat-on-the-back speech from Smith yet. That's because Lelie's accomplishments -- while stellar in helping the Broncos' offense to a No. 5 league ranking -- only represent three-eighths of the season."

Again what do you call a break out season 3 more catches than last year?

Leave a comment:

• flowerpatti
    replied
    Rod's got 3 or 4 more good years...I love that man!

Leave a comment:

• ReleaseTheBeast7
    replied
    Kinda like assshley and nash. We probably do need to repaet those failures! Lets not waste draft choices.
    Lelie is breaking out... Nash just sucks...

Who said they were gonna be busts- or the future Nashes?

Leave a comment:

• Jrhampton
    replied
    Him or Mike Williams- but it will be Braylon cuz Mike didn't play this year... And I wouldn't mind having either on this team, but I want this year to be the year that we draft a WR in the first round.
    Kinda like assshley and nash. We probably do need to repaet those failures! Lets not waste draft choices.

Leave a comment:

• ReleaseTheBeast7
    replied
    Originally posted by DrunkPanda
    bah, we are gonna have to trade REALLY high up in the draft to get him. i bet he'll be the first wide receiver to be drafted
    Him or Mike Williams- but it will be Braylon cuz Mike didn't play this year... And I wouldn't mind having either on this team, but I want this year to be the year that we draft a WR in the first round.

Leave a comment:

• Jrhampton
    replied
    2 good seasons, and 3 or 4 seasons left. I love his leadership, I love his ability to catch the ball, I love his love for the game, this guy is the man. I will miss this guy.
    Well said. Let me add I do not share the enthusaium that a few have in assshley. So far he has not shown he can catch 60+ balls a year. That is 3.75 per game he is on pace to catch 43 that is 2.7 passes per game.

Now he might be a homerun hitter and at 2.6 per game if they all TD’s we will be ok. But I think that is unlikely. Need to help get 900-1200 yards and about 80 catches to be the new #1 receiver. Does anyone really think he will get there before Rod retires? That really means he has to double his production from the past two-year s and average about 5 receptions a game the rest of THIS season.

Thought so, me neither.

Leave a comment:

• DrunkPanda
    replied
    One Name, 2 Words...

BRAYLON EDWARDS!
    bah, we are gonna have to trade REALLY high up in the draft to get him. i bet he'll be the first wide receiver to be drafted

Leave a comment:

• PutzierChic06
    replied
    I was hoping Eddie would come back and coach or do something for the Broncos.. we'll see.. it's still early.

Leave a comment:

• Peerless
    replied
    That would be awesome if he was a WR coach. He could be the best in the nfl!

Leave a comment:

• AlWilsonOwnsU
    replied
    Rod will play at LEAST 2 more years.....at least 2!!

He will know when its his time to give it up...and iwouldnt be suprised to see him as a WR coach for the Broncos in the near future.

But right now he doesnt look like hes slowing down yet so lets not talk retirement!

(i truly think Darius Watts is a Rod Smith clone)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X