Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow Board Members

Fellow Board Members-

Although I am on this board almost everyday I very rarely feel the need to comment or find it necessary to do so. I was sitting at my desk this afternoon reading over some posts by some of our boards most respected posters and thought I might give this a whirl. The post that inspired me specifically was one by CanDB, “Elway Fox and the Draft….Not to worried….Like I was!” His post was so optimistic and IMO written by my type of fan, a Proud and excited one. Should you choose to spend your time reading this from here on out is your own choice and if you do I appreciate your comments and opinions.

I guess it is important for me to start off quickly on how I became a Denver Broncos fan. My mom was born and raised in Denver in the 50’s and though my brother and I were born in Michigan she always gave us our dosage of Orange and Blue. From when I can remember (early 90’s) we always gathered for the much-awaited Broncos games. Even though the Orange crush was a little before my time, as well as Elways earlier years my mother and older brother always spoke of them installing Bronco passion within me well before I even understood football as I do now. Really I was 7 years old when I can actually remember watching Broncos games, this puts us about 1995 two years prior to the Broncos and John Elway making their super-bowl run. Though I would of already considered myself a die-hard at a young age, sporting Broncos jerseys in most of my school pictures it wasn’t until 2006 with the passing of my older brother did it become almost a sick obsession. Darrin Robert Allred, my older brother was the definition of a Die-Hard Denver Broncos fan. Everything he did was Broncos, however March 22nd 2006, eight months prior to the death of be-loved Darrent Williams, my brother passed away unexpectedly due to a heart attack. My brother was buried in an Orange Alternate Tatum Bell jersey, his casket enclosed in a orange and blue casket cover, and a Denver Broncos logo on his headstone. This would be were my passion ran deeper, not only do I love the Denver Broncos because I always have; now I feel it necessary to carry it on for him. May he rest and peace, and it is important for every one to know, not only to we have many former players (D-Will, Damien Nash, Kenny McKinley) as well as notable fans (Barrel Man) we also have one more angel in heaven watching over beloved Denver Broncos.

On a happier note growing up, Mike Shanahan was more of a father figure to me. Nothing to be taken away from my real dad, he was an amazing father, but Shanahan was more than just the coach of my favorite team. He was all I ever knew. Dan Reeves was before my time and Wade Phillips just a gleam in my eye. This being said I was devastated in the firing of Shanahan. It was incomprehensible for me. Looking back now a few years after such devastation I am able to make more sense of it. After losing Elway and CO, putting up lonely numbers such as a .569 winning percentage, 1 Division title and only winning 1 of 5 play off appearances it seemed as if my man Mike, couldn’t cut it in the fast changing NFL. Two glimmers of hope coming out of this or so It appeared, Jay Cutler and Peyton Hillis.

For me, Cutler was the second coming. His play excited me, and gave me hope. In my excitement for this young up and coming player I was often able to overlook the cry-baby and childish characteristics of him. However at the end of the day I still believe looking past all of this, Jay Cutler still has what it takes to be a successful NFL QB in my opinion.

Leading us to one of our most recent state of affairs. Josh McDaniels. I will be the first to admit, even though still hurt from Shanahans firing, I was excited about the young McDaniels coming to Denver. I could picture it all, a younger Bill Belichick, offensive minded pass-happy coach teaming up with Cutler and company and leading us to the promise land. A bit optimistic and ever so wrong, buts its where my head was at. Three short months after losing Shanny, boom my boy Cutler is gone.

First came the 2009 Draft where we all wondered to our self, is this young coach a genius or an egotistical moron. Knowshon Moreno, not what I expected but I was very open to a new play-maker on offense. This for me is where the draft went to crap. Picking up Robert Ayers with other linebackers on the board such as Clay Matthews, James Laurinaitis, heck even the falling Rey Maualuga. This one upset me, but in the staff I trust and I figured they make the money and with their resources they should know more than I. Already on edge McDaniels trades a future 1st round pick to move up for…… Maualuga?, nope Alphonso Smith a undersized corner back. Just didn’t make since. Out of the next 7 picks, I like 1 (Darcel McBath 2nd Round) can ignore another (David Bruton 4th Round) and hate all the others.

Six Straight wins start the 2009 season and this kid is as giddy as a school girl, thinking wow, here we are the glory days. Then came four straight losses, and our 2009 season fell apart. All year long I begged the question, why not use Peyton Hillis, many say it was due to a petty disagreement between the head coach and the young player, B-S. This was ridiculous. Before you know it, Hillis, Scheffler and B-Marsh three very talented and able players are gone… Heart Broken, onto the 2010 season we go.

April 2010, It’s draft time and hopefully a start to a new beginning. Boy sitting at the local Applebees with some friends I had no idea what I was in for. For me it was simple, we needed players along the trenches, as well as a WR and possibly a running back. Nor would a LB hurt. Round 1 pick 22 we select DT. Didn’t know much about him going in, was more of a Dez Bryant fan, but after some quick Blackberry work, I was very pleased with his speed and size and over all, was happy with the pick. There you have it, Good night everyone I will see you tomorrow for round two…. I remember it like it was yesterday, my buddy slapping me on the back, take a look Dave, there is was, the Denver Broncos have traded down and all I could see on the TV was the man, the myth, the legend… Tim Tebow, I believe there is a picture on Facebook somewhere, me, head in hands.. No, no, no, not Tim Tebow. At the time for me we traded away way too much for this type of player. But we will get to Tim Tebow later. Out of the next 7 picks 3 really excited me. Being in Decker, Cox, and Thompson. So there we were draft week was over and I found my self with many questions going into the 2010 season.

The 2010 Season is still fresh on the minds of most of use so I don’t need to touch to much on this. Being the optimist that I am I still had hope. Shortly after training camp begun we lost one of the biggest young stars on our defense. That in Elvis Dumervil. Crippling. When the season started off 2-4 I still had hope, Kyle Orton was “getting it done” but our defense looked less than desirable. Denver would go to lose their next four games including losing over seas to the Niners. Week 10 vs the Cheifs was really the last glint of hope for me until McDaniels firing. We came out quick that game boasting a 35 point lead with an excellent first quarter from Orton. We would go on to lose 2 more games before heading to Kansas City to face the Cheifs at Arrowhead this time. A week before this match-up reports came up that we were under investigation by the NFL. Great, now in my opinion one of the proudest franchises in the NFL, is being questioned for “cheating”. What has McDaniels done? Although later being determined that he and the Broncos declined to watch the film, and we gained no competitive advantage from it. It was still embarrassing to be a Broncos fan at this point. Following the loss to the Chiefs and elimination from the playoffs, McDaniels was fired. This for me was relief. Since his hiring in January of 09’ it seemed as if though nothing could go right. Horrible personal moves, horrible drafts, and scandals. I was glad to see him gone. Eirc Studeville would take over as interim head coach. At this point I didn’t except much, and also found my self thinking, give Tebow a shot. The next week Orton would be injured and it appeared as if Tim Tebow would get his start the following week in Oakland. I can see Tebow’s 40-yard TD run like it was yesterday. It was nothing short of Epic. For the first time since Cutler, I was excited about Denver’s future at the quarterback position. Although we went on to lose this game, it left me excited for week 16 against the Houston Texans. This game we all remember well, a 17-point lead was Houston’s going into halftime. A couple scores later, it was 23-10 Houston. In the final quarter of play Tebow rallied the troops passing for a 23-yard touchdown to Buckhalter, then running in one for himself, the lead was ours and the Denver defense stood strong (for once) to secure a win. Week 17 Tebow was still impressive, but we just couldn’t stop the Chargers running game. There we were, 4-12, season over and the only thing we could look forward to was the head coach search, the 2nd overall pick, and of course Tim Tebow.
    sigpic

Following the 2010 season to me it seemed as if Denver kicked it into 4WD and got out of the mud and started making forward progress again. With the promotion of Joe Ellis to Team president, hiring of the legendary John Elway as VP of football operations. Things were coming together. Eight days later former Head Coach of the Carolina Panthers John Fox was hired. To me he seemed as the perfect candinate for the Job for a team in rebuilding. Even though I was lobbying hard to bring Kubiak back, I was more than happy with the hiring. Since his hiring there hasn’t been much for the Broncos to do due to current CBA issues.

Before I get into the Draft I think it’s important for me to address the Tim Tebow situation. Truth be told I always thought Tebow had the potential to be something great coming off an amazing college career. That being said I didn’t want him to come to Denver, especially with what we gave up to get him late in the first round. We made the move and there was nothing I could do about it. Through out the next year, after seeing our Broncos struggle to get wins on the boards, and remain motivated I slowly eased my self into the thought of Tim Tebow. Then week 15 rolled around and Tim was given a chance by then interim Head Coach Eirc Studeville. Like mentioned before his 40-yard touchdown run gave me chills, and I was excited, but not sold. Through out the next three games, excitement was returned to the Broncos, and in my opinion we were solid at the quarterback position. Maybe he wasn’t as solid as a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but the kid made plays. Be it with his arm or legs. Sure he’s going to have some problems, he’s a rookie, sure picks will be thrown, he’s a rookie. IMO the numbers Tebow put up in his first three starts (40/81, 49COMP%, 651 YDS, 4TD 3 INT, 31 RUSHS, 199 YDS, 3 TDS) were more than enough to lock him in moving forward here. Sure they weren’t great numbers, but for a rookie in his first few starts, I personally see nothing to think he can’t make it in the NFL.

Now to the 2011 NFL DRAFT to take place next week. I believe it would be stupid for us to draft another QB anywhere in the first 5 rounds of the draft. To waste another pick on a QB would be a complete waste considering the level of our defense. We need a better front 4, we need to stop the run, and we need youth in our aging secondary. As far as all the hype, or “smokescreens” regarding us taking a QB early, I do believe it is just that, a smokescreen. I see our best draft coming from shopping the 2nd overall pick and getting ourselves more mid round picks in the 2nd-4th rounds. That being said I’d like to share with you my mock draft.

We have many needs on both sides of the football, but I think it is important to focus on the following positions in no specific order. Defensive Tackle, Linebacker, Safety, Offensive Line, Running-back and tight-end.
    I prefer to trade down to the 3rd-5th overall picks (Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona) Assuming this doesn’t happen and we pick at the 2nd overall slot, here is how I’d like to see it go.

1st Round 2nd Overall- Defensive Tackle Marcell Dareus Alabama
    I like Dareus over Fairley for the following reason. It seems the Fairley relied to much on his quickness in college and will be eaten up in the NFL, to me he seems like another Glen Dorsey. Dareus is able to anchor well against the run, thick lower body, and great upper body strength. Dareus seems to be all we need at definsive tackle and doesn’t carry the off field issues Fairley does.
    Other possible picks: Von Miller LB, Patrick Peterson CB

2nd Round 36th Overall- Defensive Tackle Stephen Paea Oregon State
    Another DT is only going to help, with very few on our current roster I see this being a smart move in suring up our front 4. He is a natural run plugger due to his short, squatty build and rare upper- and lower-body strength. Just what we need.
    Other possible picks: Marvin Austin DT, Greg Jones LB

2nd Round 46th Overall- Free Safety Quinton Carter Oklahoma
    A Safety to eventually replace the aging Brian Dawkins, and add some youth to our secondary. Very athletic safety able to cover in man, is a head hunter against the run, and has speed and play making ability to be a great two deep centerfielder.
    Other possible picks: Danny Watkins OG, Deunta Williams FS

3rd Round 67th Overall- Running Back DeMarco Murray Oklahoma
    North-south runner who runs tough between the tackles despite his reputation as a speed back, once outside Murray makes defenses pay with hard-nosed running and a breakaway speed. Will be a great change of pace back combined with Moreno.
    Other possible picks: Casey Matthews LB, Luke Stocker TE

6th Round 186th Overall- Offensive Guard David Arkin Missouri State
    Smart, good pass blocker, good footwork and agility, plays with good balance, physical and relentless, gives a good effort, very competitive.
    Other possible picks: Jamie Harper RB, Charlie Gantt TE

6th Round 189th Overall- Linebacker Akeem Dent Georgia
    Is well built and athletic, has the wheels to get to the corner and shut off the wide run. Can change directions well, and has the ability to turn and run with tight ends in coverage. Quality tackler with good form.
    Other possible picks: Mario Fannin RB, Jarriel King OT

7th Round 247th Overall- Tight End Schuylar Oordt Northern Iowa
    Great run blocking tight end and should be there in the 7th round, at 6’6 258, he posses the frame to be a great blocker, and his height and straight line speed give him the ability to stretch the field.
    Other possible picks: Anthony Sherman FB, J.T. Thomas LB

So there you have it. When its all said and done we got two new dominate forces at defensive tackle, young playmakers at Running back and safety, new depth at offensive line and linebacker, as well as a potential starter at tight end.

Before I close I’d like to take a minute here to speak my mind on what our message boards have become in the few short years I’ve been visiting. It seems as if every post I read, every comment made by someone turns into an argument, or someone bashing the other. I do believe everyone on here, no matter how much knowledge they have, or how good of a poster they are, is entitled to their opinion. No matter if you feel it is wrong or right. Sure some stupid posts come up, re-posting can be a problem. But since when is it necessary to get personal and bash people for this. I know it’s a long shot, but imagine if for every disagreement we agreed to disagree without making it personal. For every repost we let the mods handle it, and for the really dumb statements, or ideas, we just let it go. Wishful thinking, but I for one would love to see these boards return to the “happy place” where us fans got together to discuss our teams without all the hate.

In closing, I’d like to thank those of those who took time to read this quite lengthy post, and I also hope it instored in you some excitement and optimism as CanDB’s post did for me. Cant wait for the draft next week, and hopefully we will be able to watch our boys in orange and blue this upcoming season. Stay classy Bronco Country, thanks for your time.

-Dave
    sigpic

Comment

Me and my brother at a young age

RIP Darrin Robert Allred
      sigpic

Comment

That was one hell of a read.

Comment

That was a very, very long-winded build up to a mock draft and a message to keep things civil on the forums.

It would be nice if people could agree to disagree online (and debate without trolling) but the problems are thus. One, we are all on this website (mostly) because we are passionate about this team. And as we all know, passion makes people do and say stupid things upon occasion, and get worked up over things they should probably let go. Two, this is the internet, and we are all (relatively) anonymous. People barely respect each other IRL anymore, it's very difficult to expect them to behave better in such a situation online. Three, the smack section would be boring.
          sigpic
          - ★ -
          2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Just thought I'd let ya'all know what this fan was thinking, as far as keeping things civil on the boards I know it will be quite impossible, but it is just something that seems to pop into my head ever time im here on the boards.

All in all the post was meant to bring optimism to the boards, and bring things back to the basics, our football team. We are in for a hell of a draft and us as fans of this organisation have been through a lot this past decade.

Thanks for reading.....

-Dave
            sigpic

Comment

Hey Dave, thanks for sharing your love of the Broncos and some of your personal life with us.

I enjoyed reading it, it's a good synopsis for the new fans who might not have all the details yet of everything that's went on here in Bronco land over the last few years.

I have to agree with the previous poster who stated that the hostility and anger is unlikely to diminish on these boards. He makes a very valid point that anonymity and passion combined is a perfect breeding ground for disrespect and crudity.

I do wish that things "could" be more civil and that we could "all" respect other's viewpoints, even when we disagree vehemently. I'm an old fogy though, and age tends to mellow people and take away some of the fire of youth. Thankfully we do have the mods and the Coc to keep anyone from getting too far out of line. I would encourage ANYONE who reads a post where someone is totally out of line, to report it to the mods. Thankfully, we can pass the onus of dealing with these people on to them.

Anyway, enough rambling, thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading it and certainly appreciate the time it must have taken to write it all out!

Comment

Originally posted by IPICKEDYOUOFF View Post
                Through out the next three games, excitement was returned to the Broncos, and in my opinion we were solid at the quarterback position. Maybe he wasn’t as solid as a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but the kid made plays. Be it with his arm or legs. Sure he’s going to have some problems, he’s a rookie, sure picks will be thrown, he’s a rookie. IMO the numbers Tebow put up in his first three starts (40/81, 49COMP%, 651 YDS, 4TD 3 INT, 31 RUSHS, 199 YDS, 3 TDS) were more than enough to lock him in moving forward here. Sure they weren’t great numbers, but for a rookie in his first few starts, I personally see nothing to think he can’t make it in the NFL.
                I agree. I don't see why he can't make it in the NFL. He's a warrior who works to get better.

Comparing Tebow's first three starts to Sam Bradfords (the glorified #1 pick) first three starts; Tebow actually was BETTER.

Bradford: 69/117 (58.9%) 655 yards 4 TD 5 INT 72 QB rating 1-2 W/L

Tebow: 40/81 (49.3%) 651 yards 4 TD 3 INT 82.7 QB rating 1-2 W/L

Now yes, Tebow has a far worse completion %; but he threw for almost more yards (on fewer pass attempts), the same amount of TD's with 2 fewer INT's. Not bad for a guy who "wouldn't be able to throw in the NFL at all."

Add that, and the fact that he had 199 rushing yards with 3 TD's, why WOULDN'T Denver give Tebow a shot in 2011??

People (including me) at one point came in and said Tim Tebow can't function at the NFL level. Heck, some people even went to greater lengths and said he wouldn't even be able to complete a pass, throw a touchdown, or win a game.

He PROVED them all wrong.

His passing will only get better with more practice, more reps, and more game experience. We had an entire season last year to help gain him experience, yet Josh McDaniel's was too damn stubborn too.

Hopefully Elway and Fox won't make the same mistake McDaniel's made.
                Last edited by Peerless; 04-22-2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story and may your brother rest in peace.

My one and only brother and I have what I call a Broncos relationship. We never see or talk to each other all year... Until the season or the draft and then we text and talk about nothing but the Broncos.

If it weren't for the Broncos I wouldn't see my brother at all. I wonder how I would feel if he died, maybe I should call him and tell him I love him... or at least that we should draft Dareus over Peterson (his favorite). lol.

sigpic
                  \

Comment

Wow! Excellant post, very well thought out and written. CP to you and your brother!

Comment

Hey Dave..........I'm also a Dave.

First and foremost, thanks for the reference to my post. I always say, as long as one person gets something out of what I write, it's worth the effort.

Sorry about your brother. Hopefully you will carry on with pride, utilizing the special meaning of his life to guide you in the right direction. You have the power of two my friend....

And yes, we can look forward to our Broncos getting it done.....maybe not too far this year, but ever growing, led by what I believe are the right folks. I'm thinking 2012 would be a great year to make a big splash!

As for McDaniels......I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time, because that's what I do for my HC. But I finally gave up on him too, for several reasons:
                      - stubbornness / inflexibility (for example....his approach to the draft and his "small board" made little sense)
                      - too much drama
                      - too many personnel changes (Cutler, though guilty himself) should have been handled differently, and Nolan's departure made me wonder what was going on)
                      - seems to have created an atmosphere whereby players were tight

On the other hand, I pull for Moreno and Ayers, and I believe Beadles and Walton may surprise. Tebow should be given every chance to prove himself. He did inspire the team and the fans in those last 3 games!

As for the board......I guess I am used to the "lack of class" here sometimes. I sure didn't buy into it when I first joined. Some folks here are far too rude. For me it's about tone......and people should not take a swing at someone who is just voicing their opinion. But as I say, I have come to expect some of it, and have gotten a little too deep with a few members, when I have tried to straighten them out myself. When in doubt, report the post to the mods. Not the way I like to handle things, but in some cases it's a no win, by taking them on yourself. Always consider the source, and the ones that appear troublesome are likely not worth your time.

I'll let you go now......but stay positive, and know that there are a lot of great folks here!

:thumb:
                      Last edited by CanDB; 04-23-2011, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker View Post
                        Thanks for sharing your story and may your brother rest in peace.

My one and only brother and I have what I call a Broncos relationship. We never see or talk to each other all year... Until the season or the draft and then we text and talk about nothing but the Broncos.

If it weren't for the Broncos I wouldn't see my brother at all. I wonder how I would feel if he died, maybe I should call him and tell him I love him... or at least that we should draft Dareus over Peterson (his favorite). lol.
                        Im glad my post inspired you to contact your brother, if nothing but that comes from it Im glad. I told my brother I loved him all the time as he did for me and that made his passing a lot easier because there was no questions as to if he knew I loved him, and I knew he loved me.... I challenge you to tell your brother you love him when you speak tonight (or tomorrow) after the first round..

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        Hey Dave..........I'm also a Dave.

First and foremost, thanks for the reference to my post. I always say, as long as one person gets something out of what I write, it's worth the effort.

Sorry about your brother. Hopefully you will carry on with pride, utilizing the special meaning of his life to guide you in the right direction. You have the power of two my friend....

And yes, we can look forward to our Broncos getting it done.....maybe not too far this year, but ever growing, led by what I believe are the right folks. I'm thinking 2012 would be a great year to make a big splash!

As for McDaniels......I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time, because that's what I do for my HC. But I finally gave up on him too, for several reasons:
                        - stubbornness / inflexibility (for example....his approach to the draft and his "small board" made little sense)
                        - too much drama
                        - too many personnel changes (Cutler, though guilty himself) should have been handled differently, and Nolan's departure made me wonder what was going on)
                        - seems to have created an atmosphere whereby players were tight

On the other hand, I pull for Moreno and Ayers, and I believe Beadles and Walton may surprise. Tebow should be given every chance to prove himself. He did inspire the team and the fans in those last 3 games!

As for the board......I guess I am used to the "lack of class" here sometimes. I sure didn't buy into it when I first joined. Some folks here are far too rude. For me it's about tone......and people should not take a swing at someone who is just voicing their opinion. But as I say, I have come to expect some of it, and have gotten a little too deep with a few members, when I have tried to straighten them out myself. When in doubt, report the post to the mods. Not the way I like to handle things, but in some cases it's a no win, by taking them on yourself. Always consider the source, and the ones that appear troublesome are likely not worth your time.

I'll let you go now......but stay positive, and know that there are a lot of great folks here!

These boards truly are a better place with posters like you...

-Dave
                        sigpic

Comment

You should post more often. Love to see some level headed people in discussion!:thumb:
                          sigpic

Comment

Boooooooooooo

sigpic
                            2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Working...
                            X