Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's more important? A great pass rush VS a great secondary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that's not what's being asked, so it's really dumb to even be discussing it. He's asking "which is more important on a complete team", not "which unit plays better by itself".

Knoxman's point was very reasonable, and he's actually addressing the real question. And while I agree that pressure impacts INT numbers, the reverse is also true. Coverage impacts sack numbers. In the end, INTs are primarily a factor of coverage, and sacks are primarily a factor of pressure.

So I stick with my stance that a ball-hawking secondary will get you more turnovers than a great pass rush will.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lomax View Post
      Well that's not what's being asked, so it's really dumb to even be discussing it. He's asking "which is more important on a complete team", not "which unit plays better by itself".

Knoxman's point was very reasonable, and he's actually addressing the real question. And while I agree that pressure impacts INT numbers, the reverse is also true. Coverage impacts sack numbers. In the end, INTs are primarily a factor of coverage, and sacks are primarily a factor of pressure.

So I stick with my stance that a ball-hawking secondary will get you more turnovers than a great pass rush will.
      I just re-read the OP, and you are right, he did pose the option of a great pass rush + mediocre secondary vs. great secondary + mediocre rush. I was initially remembering the poll itself. So I'll grant you that, but I still believe a great pass rush is better than a great secondary. Pressure the QB and he doesn't have time to look for open receivers. And with inexperienced QBs that pressure can make him force throws which lead to INTs.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X