Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fox Names Mays starting MLB ... For Now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox Names Mays starting MLB ... For Now.

Coach John Fox said on a conference call with fans Monday that Joe Mays is the Broncos' starting middle linebacker as of this moment.
    Fox confirmed that top-70 pick Nate Irving is Mays' competition, and there's little doubt the rookie will win. Fox has long been an advocate of highly athletic middle 'backers, from Will Witherspoon to Dan Morgan to Jon Beason. Irving fits that mold much better than Mays, who's a slow-moving thumper
    Rotoworld.com

Anyway I didn't really expect him to be on the top of the Depth chart.. Guess all this proves is DJ is WLB and Haggan is probably a SAM.
    sigpic
    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Good.

I like Haggan, even though he isn't anything special. Wonder if he will still be a captain, even though he prob won't play as much.

Wonder if Miller becomes a captain as a Rookie?

I expect it to be Miller - Irving - Williams.
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

I think Mays has alot of potential..
      I really like our LB depth now. it's going to be our strength this year
      sigpic

Comment

I loved what Mays did for us last year.

Even though we were struggling, he showed up every game he played in and played as if it was a playoff game.

I'm not sure what "it" is, but he definitely has something.

DJ, Mays and Miller at LB would be pretty beastly....We can let Irvin develop for a while and make a decision later on pending on how Mays is doing.

No reason why we cant have fresh players on the field at all times though. Ayers, Haggan and Woodyard can all be productive as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerEra06 View Post

Even though we were struggling, he showed up every game he played in and played as if it was a playoff game.

DJ, Mays and Miller at LB would be pretty beastly....We can let Irvin develop for a while and make a decision later on pending on how Mays is doing.

No reason why we cant have fresh players on the field at all times though. Ayers, Haggan and Woodyard can all be productive as well.
          yup its very clear at this point that fox and elway believe our problems last year went well beyond a lack of talent. it was a lack of heart as well. we didnt have any real leaders on the field (other than dawkins who is in the secondary) we need some firey guys DJ isnt that Haggan isnt that nobody was in that front 7

Mays was, Miller is, ive heard good things about moore and irving as well.

this draft amazes me with how much these kids love the game, and WANT to be broncos, i havent been this happy with a draft class in a long time
          sigpic
          -------

Comment

Ayers is a DE now

sigpic

Comment

Woodyard, Irving, and Miller will probably be the starters come opening day.

-D.J. will probably be suspended at the beginning of the year

-I love Mays in the 3-4 defense, but IMO, he will not beat out Irving in a 4-3 defense.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
                Ayers is a DE now
                Oh ok.

Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post

-I love Mays in the 3-4 defense, but IMO, he will not beat out Irving in a 4-3 defense.
                  hmm, I forgot about the possible suspension..what a shame.

I still prefer Mays over Irving right now. Mays has already proven he can be an extremely productive player at an elite level and his leadship/fire will go a long way.

With Miller more than likely starting right off the bat, I'd prefer to have some more experience in the other LBs. I'm a big fan of Woodyard, however he hasn't gotten consistent NFL experience either.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post

suspended for what?

ROYAL 09!

Comment

Originally posted by orangeCRUSHH View Post
                      suspended for what?
                      His second DUI

sigpic

Comment

I'd hope he makes the team, dude is a beast on ST's, and lays some big hits, see Moaki last year.

I think in the end Irving starts Week 1.

Comment

hmm, I forgot about the possible suspension..what a shame.

I still prefer Mays over Irving right now. Mays has already proven he can be an extremely productive player at an elite level and his leadship/fire will go a long way.

With Miller more than likely starting right off the bat, I'd prefer to have some more experience in the other LBs. I'm a big fan of Woodyard, however he hasn't gotten consistent NFL experience either.
                          Please lets not use Mays and Elite in the same sentence. I'll admit, he had a couple of good games, but lets just chill out on the "Elite" level status.

EFX loves Irving because of his LEADERSHIP, speed, instincts, and style of play, so I hardly doubt Mays is going to be able to hold him back.

Woodyard has gotten more consistent NFL experience than Mays have. So now what. Reality is we're probably going to be starting atleast 4 rookies this year, which Elway and Xanders said they were looking for with our 1st 4 picks.

And like I told MUG, if D.J. is suspended for the first 4 games, i'm not 100% convinced that D.J. would get back on the field. Let's be honest, we all know that Woodyard is a BEAST on the Weakside. And since D.J. is on his last leg with us, we may just move on without him.
                          sigpic

Comment

They have the LB listed by position on the website now:

ILB: Irving, Mohamed
                            MLB: Braxton, mays
                            SLB: Miller, haggan, Robinson
                            WLB: DJ, Dominic

WW is listed as WLB on RFA list along with harris, Thomas, Prater, and McBean.
                            I wonder what the difference is between ILB and MLB? Veikune has been moved to DE. At OT, they only have Herb taylor and Chris Clark behind Clady and Franklin. I would think another OT in FA would be a target.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                              They have the LB listed by position on the website now:

ILB: Irving, Mohamed
                              MLB: Braxton, mays
                              SLB: Miller, haggan, Robinson
                              WLB: DJ, Dominic

No WW. His future is uncertain due to FA I guess.
                              I wonder what the difference is between ILB and MLB? Veikune has been moved to DE. At OT, they only have Herb taylor and Chris Clark behind Clady and Franklin. I would think another OT in FA would be a target.
                              I wonder what's the difference too. First thing came to mind was 3-4 defense. Unlike Thomas, WOODY wants to comeback. I think he mentioned in one of his twitter messages to miller about let's get ready for work, or something like that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X