No announcement yet.

ESPN "Audible" on Broncos QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, aren't they gonna look silly in a few years then?

In three years, when Tebow is in every conversation as being one of the best in the league, then all these guys will be talking about how they "always had a feeling about this kid".....it's what they do, talk. They get paid to talk and have opinions, even if they are wrong ones. In fact, i'd imagine that the networks encorage them to provide polarizing opinions, because A) people LOVE to hate other people with stupid opinions, and B) everyone agreeing is boring and doesn't bring in viewers......

It's ALL about bringing in viewers, because without them, these jokers wouldn't be on TV spewing verbal diaherea in the first place......

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
      Ask any member of that Ravens team, and the team after they let Dilfer go...

He was the unquestioned leader of that team, and when Billick drop kicked him out the team didn't know how to respond.

Everyone wants to make fun of Dilfer and say that the D won him a ring, but if that were true, why didn't the Ravens win another ring the next year? They had every starter on D back almost.
      The reason they never won again is that they exhausted all of their energy and talent that season carrying his sorry a$$!!!!!!

/Sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        ... how successful he was as an NFL QB, Trent Dilfer is an assiduous student of the game and the quarterback position. I like to hear what he has to say because I'm a student of the game, too. I enjoyed his comments at the draft.

He likes Kyle Orton and maybe he sympathizes with him. He has criticisms of Tebow, but I'm sure Tim himself is interested in them. Part of being coachable is the willingness to take criticism, seeing yourself through the eyes of others and improving as a result.

It is unnecessary to run down some one expressing an opinion differing from one's own. Being open to other viewpoints widens one's perspective.
        I agree with you 99% of the time Sam, and I don't necessarily disagree with you here. I feel & have always felt that regardless of Dilfer's effort at studying the game, he is a self loving tool. Perhaps he himself would be a better analyst if he took your advice.

He has revisionist history on 'how to play the game'. In his years at Tampa he was usually condescending if anyone dared to ask him why he would muff & fumble the ball away or hold the ball for 5 seconds & take a sack then limp off the field and yell at the lineman. All of which felt like was at least once per game.
        Last edited by Southtown; 05-04-2011, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southtown View Post
          If anyone is to be listened to it is Steve Young....and no I don't think he was mocking Tim. He went on national TV last year and defended Tim and said he's the real deal & something special.
          If you listen carefully to Steve Young (whether he's talking about Tebow, Newton, or some other quarterback), he's the most grounded and accurate commentator. Because he admits he doesn't know. He explains how what it actually takes to be a successful quarterback in the NFL is almost indiscernible at this stage -- a very specific ability that almost cannot be learned. (I won't go into how he describes that skill at length).

So Young is a skeptic of the guys who think they know when a quarterback can't do it at this level (because they said it about him), and when they say they can tell a guy CAN.

And on that same level, my jury is still out on Tebow. That's what is so frustrating to me about the criticisms. Most of the things people say are either not true, or aren't the things that will sink him. You don't really know until he has to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            ... how successful he was as an NFL QB, Trent Dilfer is an assiduous student of the game and the quarterback position. I like to hear what he has to say because I'm a student of the game, too. I enjoyed his comments at the draft.

He likes Kyle Orton and maybe he sympathizes with him. He has criticisms of Tebow, but I'm sure Tim himself is interested in them. Part of being coachable is the willingness to take criticism, seeing yourself through the eyes of others and improving as a result.

It is unnecessary to run down some one expressing an opinion differing from one's own. Being open to other viewpoints widens one's perspective.
            See my post above. Dilfer boarders on being a sycophant at times. He has "his guys" that he likes and of course guys that he doesn't like. McElroy is his guy apparently. Tebow isn't. Unfortunately for me, I don't want to know that. I just want the analysis without his opinion. I can say a guy is fast and explosive, or that a release is compact and quick without letting you know if I like the guy or not.

Comment

Originally posted by TecmoElway View Post
              Edwards, Young, Dilfer, and K. Johnson talking football on ESPN...question came up, "Who starts?" referring to Orton or Tebow.

Dilfer said Orton is in a lose, lose situation and can only be viewed as a scape goat by Denver fans. He said the Broncos are a really bad football team and that Orton should do everything to get out of Denver.

Edwards said, Orton starts because Fox stated it (we know this was awhile ago) and Edwards also said, "You know what Tebow can do?" Steve Young inserted "Score" and Edwards said "He can move the ball and he will take the rest of the team with him."

Thought I'd pass the info along and my quotes of what was said isn't 100% accurate, but a close paraphrase. I got the feeling Young and Edwards like Tebow. Dilfer also made a comment in jest about how Tebow is a money-maker.
              Steve Young made it pretty clear last year (forgot which game) that he thinks Orton is trash.

Think his exact comment was something to the effect

"When things go bad with Orton his performance goes downhill fast. It does in some way with all QBs but with Orton the performance drop comes faster and harder then any other QB when the situation gets less then ideal"

On a side note, nothing but garbage comes out of ESPN now. They have good stats and a faster website then NFL.com but ESPN is more about self promoting then actually promoting the news, specially if your city does not have a ESPN hub.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                Steve Young made it pretty clear last year (forgot which game) that he thinks Orton is trash.

Think his exact comment was something to the effect

"When things go bad with Orton his performance goes downhill fast. It does in some way with all QBs but with Orton the performance drop comes faster and harder then any other QB when the situation gets less then ideal"

On a side note, nothing but garbage comes out of ESPN now. They have good stats and a faster website then NFL.com but ESPN is more about self promoting then actually promoting the news, specially if your city does not have a ESPN hub.
                Dilfer's issue isn't the fact that he was possibly the worst QB to ever win a SB. It's that his opinion on any QB is heavily colored by his own suckitude as a QB. He invariably gravitates to QBs who he thinks are cerebral, except that in his mind the only cerebral QBs are guys who are physically limited like Orton and Rivers. A guy like Tebow isn't "cerebral" in his eyes. Most of this may hae been a defense mechanism he came up with to deal with the fact that he wasn't an Elway/Favre type of guy, which is now the type of guy he invariably picks against. To make matters worse, rather than acknowledge his bias, he trots out his incredibly biased opinions with more arrogance than his far more accomplished peers.

As for Orton, it's telling that the two most stinging criticisms of him have come from Gruden (who talked about his performance being good mostly when the result of the game wasn't in the balance) and Young (who realizes Orton is a front-runner). Despite that, I'd like to see Orton stick around at a reasonable price to be the short-term bridge and long-term backup here.
                Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by AC1 View Post
                  As for Orton, it's telling that the two most stinging criticisms of him have come from Gruden (who talked about his performance being good mostly when the result of the game wasn't in the balance) and Young (who realizes Orton is a front-runner). Despite that, I'd like to see Orton stick around at a reasonable price to be the short-term bridge and long-term backup here.
                  That's precisely why we need to dump him.

I'd rather not pay the man 8 mill a year to keel over on third down...

Comment

I think with even a slightly improved run game and less leaning on Orton on every third down, we'd see a remarkable improvement.
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by 4th Amigo View Post
                      Well, aren't they gonna look silly in a few years then?

In three years, when Tebow is in every conversation as being one of the best in the league, then all these guys will be talking about how they "always had a feeling about this kid".....it's what they do, talk. They get paid to talk and have opinions, even if they are wrong ones. In fact, i'd imagine that the networks encorage them to provide polarizing opinions, because A) people LOVE to hate other people with stupid opinions, and B) everyone agreeing is boring and doesn't bring in viewers......

It's ALL about bringing in viewers, because without them, these jokers wouldn't be on TV spewing verbal diaherea in the first place......
                      Ding ding ding! Absolutely right.

Esp. like the part about how they ALL "had a feeling about that kid" whenever anyone succeeds. Fail or succeed, they are all gonna say they knew it was coming. Our communal gnat-like attn span is mostly to blame, but thats not going away anytime soon
                      "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

I don't think Dilfer knows the definition of a scapegoat. The Broncos were a bad football team and Orton was a part of that. There's no scapegoating about it.
                        sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
                          I don't think Dilfer knows the definition of a scapegoat. The Broncos were a bad football team and Orton was a part of that. There's no scapegoating about it.
                          Dilfer's whole worldview is colored by the fact that he was

(1) highly rated coming out of college, taken #6 overall (so he tends to view consensus evaluation of QB talent as reliable.

(2) lousy as a pro early in his career (so he tends to think quarterbacks can get a raw deal and be a "scapegoat." AND

(3) A superbowl quarterback when he got to the Ravens (so he tends to think he was awesome after all, and his opinion is therefore awesome).

I actually like a lot of what he has to say, but he has these fundamental biases built in to his psyche.

I like guys like Rich Gannon or Terry Bradshaw, who were told they needed to switch positions. They understand what really makes a quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post

(1) highly rated coming out of college, taken #6 overall (so he tends to view consensus evaluation of QB talent as reliable.

(2) lousy as a pro early in his career (so he tends to think quarterbacks can get a raw deal and be a "scapegoat." AND

(3) A superbowl quarterback when he got to the Ravens (so he tends to think he was awesome after all, and his opinion is therefore awesome).

I actually like a lot of what he has to say, but he has these fundamental biases built in to his psyche.

I like guys like Rich Gannon or Terry Bradshaw, who were told they needed to switch positions. They understand what really makes a quarterback.
                            So You like QB's that were told they couldn't make it as a QB (and you're a Tebow homer), and Dilfer likes QB's who seem to be "cerebral" (aka immobile)...and you're bashing him for his opinion?

Anyone else see the irony here?
                            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post

I definitely agree with this. Also, he does work for the 4 letter network... let's not forget how that factors into his 'analysis' of players.
                              sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                                So You like QB's that were told they couldn't make it as a QB (and you're a Tebow homer), and Dilfer likes QB's who seem to be "cerebral" (aka immobile)...and you're bashing him for his opinion?

Anyone else see the irony here?
                                "It was a bitter irony -- the football fan suggested that the professional commentator was biased, when that same football fan was also biased. Oh, the irony . . . ."

Sounds like a Twilight Zone episode to me.

(Newsflash: I am thoroughly biased. It's the fun of following sports as a fan. And it's fun to poke holes in the guys who carry on like they are not).

Comment

Working...
                                X