• Show
Clear All

• It’s time the Broncos ended the silly quarterback debate in Denver

http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=4253

WHO ARE THEY KIDDING?
    5_5_Online_Daily

It’s time the Broncos ended the silly quarterback debate in Denver
    By James Merilatt

Supposedly, there’s a quarterback controversy in the Mile High City. The Broncos would lead us to believe that there are actually two signal callers in the hunt to be under center next season in Denver. The evidence just doesn’t seem to jive with that story.

On Tuesday, one quarterback was in town, attending an event held at Invesco Field as the keynote speaker. He took center stage on the Broncos home field, addressing a group of accomplished student-athletes to provide encouragement and share his thoughts on finding success, dealing with adversity and overcoming challenges.

The other quarterback was nowhere to be found.

As the John Lynch Foundation luncheon wound down, one quarterback was inviting his newest teammate, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft and the young man being called upon to become the cornerstone of the Broncos rebuilding defense, to work out with him before leaving town. He was the one challenging Von Miller, the highest draft choice in Denver history, to not let a moment pass by without pushing himself to be the very best.

The other quarterback wasn’t in the building.

This development should come as no surprise, however, as one quarterback has been busy during the NFL lockout. In addition to personal appearances, endorsement photo shoots and speaking engagements, he’s been working out eight hours a day to hone his craft. And his efforts go above and beyond running and lifting weights; he’s not just trying to stay in shape during the work stoppage. He’s spending countless hours working on his skills, ironing out the kinks in his game and becoming a more polished passer.

The other quarterback is doing who knows what.

But it’s not just in isolation that one quarterback is working out. He’s also busy rallying his teammates, getting them on the field together for informal offseason conditioning and drills. He’s throwing passes to two of his best wide receivers, Brandon Lloyd and Jabar Gaffney, fine tuning the timing that will be critical when they step on the field together this fall. And he’s taking the playbook that he was able to snag during the brief break in the lockout and circulating it to the Broncos newest offensive additions, soon-to-be rookie tight ends Julius Thomas and Virgil Green.

The other quarterback is apparently enjoying his extended vacation.

As time goes on, it is becoming more and more evident that Tim Tebow will be the Broncos starting quarterback in 2011. He’s the one exhibiting the type of leadership that is required to be successful playing the most demanding position in all of sports. He’s the one putting in the work necessary to achieve greatness. He’s the one who teammates are rallying behind.

Meanwhile, Kyle Orton is conspicuously absent. He’s a no-show, not being heard from since he piled his offensive linemen into a private plane and jetted the gang off to Las Vegas at the end of last season, apparently celebrating the fact that he had a stat-heavy season during his 3-10 stint as the Broncos starting quarterback. He’s not appearing at events around town. He’s not organizing team activities during the lockout. He’s not busting his tail to improve his game. And he’s not getting teammates flocking to be by his side.

Which one sounds like the Broncos starting quarterback, Tebow or Orton? The answer, of course, is painfully obvious. Tebow is the guy who is right for the job; Orton is a wannabe who isn’t up to the task.

Yet, the Broncos continue their charade. They continue to publicly state that Orton would be under center if the season started today. They repeatedly go out of their way to downplay Tebow’s skills. It’s the message being repeated over and over at Dove Valley.

The question is simple: Why?

Perhaps it is all a smokescreen, a ruse designed to elevate Orton’s trade value once the lockout ends. But that seems like a silly notion; there’s not a general manager in the league who is going to up his bid for the quarterback because he actually believes the Broncos consider Orton their starter.

Or perhaps it’s the truth, a reality that isn’t outside the realm of possibility simply because it would be hard to believe. But honestly planning to stick with Orton would be wildly unpopular with a fan base that is already on pins and needles. And it would risk alienating a roster that has increasingly showed signs of being in Tebow’s camp.

The Broncos brass showed some moxie last weekend during the NFL Draft, sticking to their guns to select the players they believe are the right fit in Denver. It’s time for John Elway, Brian Xanders and John Fox to once again show their mettle.

It’s time to end the debate. It’s time to end the suspense. It’s time to get everyone in the organization heading down the same path. It’s time to end the farcical quarterback controversy. It’s time to name Tim Tebow the Broncos starting quarterback.

That’s a direction everyone, except for perhaps one mysteriously missing person, can get behind
    Last edited by soloking; 05-05-2011, 09:49 AM.

Tim is out there putting in the work and rounding ups the troops! We need to move Orton as soon as free agency begins!

Comment

Comment

I'm a big Tebow fan, but this article (and a lot of the stuff being said lately) seems really unfair to Kyle Orton.

For all we know, Orton has been busting his butt working out all offseason too, but because he doesn't have the madia hype machine trailing him 24/7, we just haven't heard about it. Just because we haven't seen him doesn't mean he is sitting on a beach somewhere not thinking about football.

I think Tebow is the future in Denver, but I just don't see why people are trying to make Orton out to be a bad guy. From all accounts, he's a hard worker and a good teammate.

Supporting one guy doesn't mean you have to hate the other.

Ideally, I hope that once camp begins we have a QB competition on our hands the quality of which the NFL has never seen before.

Comment

I'd say by their actions the QB's have indicated who they think will be the starter next year...

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
            I'm a big Tebow fan, but this article (and a lot of the stuff being said lately) seems really unfair to Kyle Orton.

For all we know, Orton has been busting his butt working out all offseason too, but because he doesn't have the madia hype machine trailing him 24/7, we just haven't heard about it. Just because we haven't seen him doesn't mean he is sitting on a beach somewhere not thinking about football.

I think Tebow is the future in Denver, but I just don't see why people are trying to make Orton out to be a bad guy. From all accounts, he's a hard worker and a good teammate.

Ideally, I hope that once camp begins we have a QB competition on our hands the quality of which the NFL has never seen before.
            That was what I had in mind. Cp to you.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
              I'd say by their actions the QB's have indicated who they think will be the starter next year...
              It would seem the fans have indicated who their QB is as well. Now about the FO....
              [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morningplastic View Post
                That was what I had in mind. Cp to you.
                Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post

Same from me. Tebow's hype machine will probably let us know when Tebow's poop turns green from drinking purple Gatorade.

There's no need to tear one down to build another up.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                  Same from me. Tebow's hype machine will probably let us know when Tebow's poop turns green from drinking purple Gatorade.

There's no need to tear one down to build another up.
                  So how does tearing down "Tebow's hype machine" help exactly?

Comment

So how does tearing down "Tebow's hype machine" help exactly?
                    I didn't know I was supposed to support the hype machine. MY BAD.

sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                      I didn't know I was supposed to support the hype machine. MY BAD.

Can one be neutral with a hype-machine? Hard to say.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                        Can one be neutral with a hype-machine? Hard to say.
                        Why be neutral?

I feel that as a fan of the Broncos I have a DUTY to be the hype machine

Edited to add: No green yet, still solid granite

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81
                          haha I love it!
                          sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                          Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Why be neutral?

I feel that as a fan of the Broncos I have a DUTY to be the hype machine

Edited to add: No green yet, still solid granite
                            I'm bought in, I'm just saying neutral is better than opposed.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81
                              Where's Matt Prater when this is all going on? Right Cory? :doh:

Comment

Working...
                              X