Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Elway named #2 clutch QB by NFL Network

Does he deserve to be number 2?

Who do you think are the top 10 clutch QBs in the NFLs history?

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
    Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
    Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
    Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
    I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

#1 on my list is Joe Montana. I'm sure the folks of Cincinnati will agree.

Comment

Watched that today on NFL Network absolutely Elway deserves #2, Montana should #1 which he is....
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chillez View Post
        Watched that today on NFL Network absolutely Elway deserves #2, Montana should #1 which he is....
        Elway seemed to have more comebacks and was more consistent in comeback victories over decades. He had to comeback because his offense stunk around him until the very end. He made the other players better around him. Even after getting beat the whole game he came back with pure will. An overachiever in the clutch based on the teams he was on.

Montana was on a team full of hall of famers and came back when they stopped underachieving in games. Put him on the Broncos for two decades and he wouldnt have his lofty status. He bounced to the Chiefs and found success there, but didnt have the consistent clutch ability though the years like Elway did.

Comment

Elway is the comeback king. So, I feel like it's harder to be more clutch than the guy with the most comebacks. But, I'm extremely bias so who knows
          sigpic
          MILE HIGH MAGIC HAPPENS IN ORANGE!

2011 Adopt a Bronco: The Beast off the Bench Adam Weber!!!

Originally posted by Jay3
          Yes. For two Super Bowls I would be willing to carpet bomb Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron.moberg View Post
            Elway is the comeback king. So, I feel like it's harder to be more clutch than the guy with the most comebacks. But, I'm extremely bias so who knows
            A comeback seals the deal of the clutch issue. No victory or comeback means clutch for a while but get couldnt get it done.

Comment

montana 1

elway 2

i used to have brady above elway, till spygate
              sigpic

Comment

Its honestly a toss up for me between Elway and Montana for #1.

I would take Montana for a whole clutch game, however if the game came down to 1 play with seconds left there is NOBODY I would want under center more than Tebow...wait...oops I meant Elway lol!!
                sigpic

Comment

I do think Montana should be ahead of Elway on this list. He came up big in every super bowl he played in, as opposed to Elway who lost his first 3. That's why Montana should be #1. Now as for which quarterback I would want if I needed to come from behind to win....well that's Elway all day long.
                  sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Yeah but the comebacks are a little bit of a misnomer....Elways had a lot, but a lot of the reason the Montana had fewer was because those niner teams would always smoke other teams....You cant have a comeback when you are up by 14+...Plus look at the playoff record....That is total clutch
                    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Where was marino on the list? He should be pretty high considering he has the most comebacks of all time.

Comment

I think if Elway played for the Niners in the late 80's early 90's (oh my god with Rice catching his rockets) he would have broken evry record and need both hands to wear all his rings. If Montana played with the Broncos in the same time period, they would of had to move to get a new stadium.
                        sigpic
                        I Adopt #77 well damn!
                        Milla Da QB Killa' #77
                        Fox Rocks #77

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                          i used to have brady above elway, till spygate
                          I'm not buying spygate as an excuse for Brady's success in clutch situations, or just his success in general. It's fair to assume that the Patriots have not been using illegal video tapes since they got busted early in 2007, right? Brady's had a higher QB rating post-spygate than he did in the years they were supposedly using the tapes, and the Patriots have a better win percentage. Obviously there are other factors at work here, but I think we can throw out the tapes being a major reason for the success of Brady and the Patriots. I don't like New England, Belichick, or Brady, but people want to act like the Pats were the only ones doing this video taping thing and that it was the only reason they won three Super Bowls and I think that's crap.

Having said that, Elway's still better than Brady in the clutch.

Comment

I agree, but I think the argument you get is that Montana had more bigger moments (read more Superbowl appearances) than Elway, and I think that's why people have Montana ahead. Elway had more quantity in worse situations, which to some people (like me), that puts Elway ahead of Montana.

Personally, I think if John Elway is more clutch than Joe Montana. If you put John Elway in Montana's position with Bill Walsh there to teach him the game more and teach him the system, then to me, it would be no contest. Elway would've been a monster for a very long time, and he'd probably be considered the best all time hands down, end of conversation.

Does that mean Montana wasn't clutch? No. I just think Elway was so special that way. And since the question isn't "who is the most clutch, and also in the best situation", I gotta go with Elway.

Comment

When Elway and Montana were in their prime coaches in the NFL were polled and most of them picked Elway as the one QB who they would like to have to win one game. This was from a article in USA Today in the early 1990s.
                              Would be interesting to see what they would have said about one drive

For example the question would be "If you had one drive to win a game and had to put the QB on any team....which QB would you have wanted?"

Montana went up allot on my grade scale when he went to KC and played really well but he never took that team to playoff success.

Imo Montana, Brady and Elway all belong at number 1, when it comes to clutch...call it a three way tie I guess. I can make a good solid case for any of them at the top.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                              X