• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
    montana 1

elway 2

i used to have brady above elway, till spygate
    Brady's never been that great against Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron.moberg View Post
      Elway is the comeback king. So, I feel like it's harder to be more clutch than the guy with the most comebacks. But, I'm extremely bias so who knows
      In fact by that standard the comeback king is Jake Plummer - he had a significantly higher percentage of 4th Q comebacks than anyone else - and had he played as long as Elway he would have humbled Elways number of comebacks.

What Elway did was produce some really big comebacks.

Comment

Total BS!

I think that program was completely BS. Elway should have been the #1 clutch QB. They kept talking about how Montana won so many super bowls, but that wasn't the question. It was clutch play. Except for a few notable games, the 49ers pretty much blew teams off the field during those years. That's not clutch play, that's being a good quarterback on a good team. How many SB's did Montana win again when he went to KC?

Elway on the other hand has more come from behind victorys, bar none. THAT's clutch play. How many victories in the last 5 or even 2 minutes? So I know you can make an argument for Montana as best all time due to the superbowls, etc. but as far as a clutch player, Elway PROVED it. More times than any other.

I think you could make a strong argument that if you'd switched those two QB's between teams, Elway would likely have had even more success than Montana. Montana was good, but he did not have near the playmaking ability Elway did. He simply was fortunate enough to play in a time of no salary cap, with a fabulously wealthy owner who spared no expense on his team and kept great players on the squad. How many pro-bowl and HOF players did Montana play with as compared to Elway again? Come on. They should have given Elway the spot in this program.

Comment

Percentage?

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
          In fact by that standard the comeback king is Jake Plummer - he had a significantly higher percentage of 4th Q comebacks than anyone else - and had he played as long as Elway he would have humbled Elways number of comebacks.

What Elway did was produce some really big comebacks.
          Percentage counts for nothing. Plummer was really good in his comebacks and if he'd played 16 years, who knows. But he didn't. End of story. Same way Brett Favre is getting and going to get credit for all the records he owns now since he played 4-5 more years than everyone else. Does it really make him better than the QB's who did it in the usual 15-16 seasons? I don't think so.

Comment

Elway

Many people don't realize this, but Jerry Rice wasn't a 49er yet when Montana won his first super bowl. They had Freddie Solomon, Dwight Clark, and the TE was Charle Young. Montana's game was nothing like Elway's. Montana never had a rocket arm. What he did have was great mechanics which gave him great accuracy and he made good decisions on the field. He didn't make many mistakes and the 49ers usually had good defenses.

Comment

Montana was a product of a west coast system that couldn't be stopped back in the day. It was fairly new and no defense was built or designed to stop it. Montana had Rice and Craig...Elway had ?...oh yeah, his heart and determination.

Comment

Working...
              X