Scouts Inc.: "Is Knowshon a No. 1?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouts Inc.: "Is Knowshon a No. 1?"

Posting this even though it's not great insight and doesn't really tell us anything new, but because I've been asking myself the same questions since we didn't get any RB help in the draft:

A weekly look at a player whose performance must improve in 2011.

Surprisingly, the Broncos did not address the running back position in the draft, and we all know that coach John Fox wants to run the ball plenty. Maybe the Broncos will make a strong play for a runner in free agency -- DeAngelo Williams certainly would make a lot of sense. But landing Williams isn't a sure thing, and that leaves Knowshon Moreno as the clear-cut No. 1 running back in Denver.

The previous regime in Denver used a very high draft pick on Moreno. I was critical of the pick at the time. Simply put, I didn't think Moreno was a special enough player to warrant such a selection. That has proved true throughout his tenure in Denver.

Moreno's yards per rush and yards per reception increased in his second season. He does have some versatility and is a solid contributor in the passing game. But Moreno isn't a game-breaker or the type of back who wears down a defense. The longest run of his career is only 36 yards.

He doesn't have a niche. Last year, Moreno rushed for more than 100 yards twice -- including a 161-yard effort against Kansas City. But other than those two games, he eclipsed 60 yards on the ground only once. As starting NFL running backs go, Moreno has average run instincts, elusiveness and burst. He isn't particularly fluid with the ball in his hands. He does catch the ball well, but isn't a great blocker. Durability might be an issue.

Former coach Josh McDaniels led a heavy pass-first offense. That won't be the case with Fox in charge. He clearly prefers a two-back attack. For various reasons, Correll Buckhalter, LenDale White and Laurence Maroney cannot be counted on. The Broncos need to add further help at this position. If they cannot upgrade to a guy like Williams, Moreno will be the lead back in Denver. Is he up to the task? I have my doubts.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6486034

I think that Knowshon is a solid but unspectacular NFL running back. He's not the type of workhorse that a team can grind away at defenses with, and I haven't seen real flashes of greatness from him since he entered the league. Even if we get some FA help in the backfield (and DeAngelo would be a good fit, IMO), it's not clear that Moreno is anything close to "the answer" for us right now. And it's not like we have any promising young dark horses on the team either. Our RB position needs a total rebuild, IMO.
    Last edited by MileHighInNY; 05-06-2011, 12:25 PM.

He's a #1 RB but we need a better backup.

Buck is old and injury prone
    White maybe but he just tore his achillies
    Ball has potential but not as a #2

I'd love to get Michael Bush..

Comment

There was times where Kno was carrying this team on the field and then the Broncos decided to do 6 passing plays in a row. We will see what happens with a more run friendly system. People have to remember we also have Lendale White coming back.
      sigpic

Comment

Yep. We will sign a rb or trade for orton, but I think white plays a big role too

Comment

I think he's an above average back who does everything well but doesn't have a specialty. He isn't a punishing runner and he doesn't have breakaway speed. Simply put, he isn't a game breaker. I think he can be a number 1 back because of his versatility and hard-running, but he's never going to be the player a team game plans against and he needs a good number 2 to take away some carries because he can't seem to stay healthy. He should have been a late first round pick, somewhere in the 20-32 range. Taking him over defensive talents like Orakpo and Cushing (especially Orakpo, who I thought was the obvious pick) was a big mistake.
          Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

I personally think we need a speed back.

knowshon starts...

Lenwhale despite his ankle is still a bull and is the power guy.

So a game breaker speed back is what I want. However, I would gladly take any of the following backs to compliment know.

in no order:

derrick loche
            sproles
            deangelo
            graig cooper
            via tu'i
            tatum bell- did i really just say that?
            ronnie brown
            michael bush
            So far:
            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

We definitely need help. Knowshon has shown that he is not a #1. He is a decent 3rd down back and thats about it. We need to make a splash in FA and DW would be a great fit. Cedric Benson's name also keeps coming up. Its an uphill battle for Lendale, Buck can't stay healthy, Ball is a great pounder and will be a good backup. Help definitely needed badly and Im sure Fox is on it.
              "I've gone great lengths to expand my threshold of pain" - HR

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post

how can you say that knowshon is a #1 back? he has shown no signs of burst. no elusiveness. no power. no nose to find holes (though hard to come by). you say buck is injury prone, well so is knowshon. buck has actually been more reliable than knowshon the bast two seasons

Comment

So many times on these boards, it seems the total picture is over looked for a pin on a table in the picture.

Example: LT has had a bit of a resurgence. He changed teams and actually preformed better. How? Why?. Well to start with he is running behind Tony Richardson, the FB from KC when all those RBs had 1500 to 2000 yards year in and year out. Then the Jets had the great OL and willingness to commit to the run. Who would of thought LT's numbers would actually get better? If you looked at the whole picture, it was spelled out in all caps.

Lets look at the teams that have sucked, the teams are improving, the great teams, and the teams on the decline. Inject any player at any position and tell me what that player is worth, kinda hard to do.

Lets look at Dumm. I think it's fair to say, pre Nolan, Dumm was just another average player. Under Nolan he became a superstar, best in the league, Player of the Year etc etc etc. There is a very real possibility in the new system he could become just marginally average again.......What will the experts and most of the posters on here say....?.... Well I guess he never made it back 100% form that injury...... There will be the pin on the table in the picture.

One of my favorite examples was LG Hutchinson from Seattle who went to the Vikes. Some on here wanted to sign Alexander, It was never really Alexander IMO it was Hutchinson that produced Alexanders yards. Hutchinson leaves and Alexanders numbers go in the toilet right after signing a big contract that lead to Hutchinson not able to be signed. He goes to the Vikes and Peterson is drafted and a star is born.

Now we look at Moreno, actually lets look at the Pats, Moreno had played in the same system. When is the last time a Pats RB lived up to their expectations? Why? People had the wrong expectations. Single back spread O, just is not going to produce great numbers from the RB position.

Now lets look at the line Moreno has run behind. His rookie year the line was by far and away better then the line he had his sophomore year. Lets look at the style of O over the last two years and what do we find. 2 years of near record breaking numbers in the passing game. What does that do to the running game?

I polled the question of player vs. scheme, a few times, and it's always the player that comes out on top, not even close. I think it's the other way around scheme makes the player. The player's abilities do come into play to be great but, with out the proper scheming mediocre is the best you can hope for, even out of a great player.

One thing is for certain, it takes two for a thing to go right, it takes two to make it out of sight, in the case of football, it takes everybody and everything to make it out of sight.

With the commitment to the run game back under Fox, (supposedly) I expect Moreno to do much better. Also Zone Blocking seems to be making his way back and should help increase rushing production.

Still though, we have two line men that are 2nd year players and probably a RT that is a rookie. We have NO useful FB on this team. I don't expect much of a running game from a single back formation.

Moreno has the skill set, thats for sure. The question is not of Moreno's worth as applied to where he was drafted, it's more of can he be used in a way that will maximize his potential for an accurate reading on his worth. I for one don't see a Super Duper Dramatic improvement but, I do see an improvement in Moreno's production. It all depends on how well things come together.

Lets not forget that Moreno has incredible character and as long as he fits in well at the country club it doesn't matter if he DOESN'T grind his cleats into a defenders hand for an extra inch, as long as he knows which fork to use at the table.
                  Last edited by marcus_miller; 05-06-2011, 02:21 PM.
                  I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

Fantasy football says.... NO! All kidding aside, I'm no expert, I just know that when I watch the guy play I do not see a starting NFL RB that impresses compared to his peers starting in the NFL at the same position.

Comment

I think we seen some signs last year that he could be a number one back for this team... Then we seen him get hurt... Again. The dude is constantly hurt...
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                      Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                        I think we seen some signs last year that he could be a number one back for this team... Then we seen him get hurt... Again. The dude is constantly hurt...
                        How do you stay healthy when you have no run blockers
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                          High character / pleasant young man and ability to grind his teeth, get mean and play through pain. I wonder if there is a scientific study that can find any parallels between the mind sets and impacts of injuries. Ever heard the saying, raise him to be hard to deal with a hard world. A boy named sue!
                          Last edited by marcus_miller; 05-06-2011, 04:26 PM.
                          I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

Originally posted by Luckyshot View Post
                            How do you stay healthy when you have no run blockers
                            pretty sure that hamstring tears and ankle injuries don't have much to do with the run blocking... the dude is made of glass as far as I'm concerned...
                            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                            Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post

Buck is getting old but he was the better RB last year imo. Kno Mo is supposed to be #1 and hopefully he can be - frankly we still don't know if he was worth -what was it 12th overall?

In one of the vids at db.com either Elway Fox or Xanders mentioned the RB position and whether or not it's on their list to improve. They also mentioned the receiver position and I do recall they sounded satisfied with that squad -

I love our receiver corp btw. They can really help Tebow look like the wizard we know he can be.
                              The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Working...
                              X