Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scouts Inc.: "Is Knowshon a No. 1?"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I'm willing to give Moreno the benefit of a doubt. The three strikes against him have been, Pass first offense, poor run blocking from his offensive line, and no "true" leading fullback to open holes for him.

    The one knock on Moreno that has to be put directly on him though is durability. He will have to make it through an entire season without missing games before he will get past the "injury-prone" label.

    Comment


    • #32
      Sad truth is this is what I thought when we drafted him, and the piece is dead on. I'll be surprised if we ever look back on Moreno's career and say "wow I'm glad we passed on Orakpo for this guy"


      That said, I hope he makes the probowl this year.
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

      Comment


      • #33
        Personally, I thought the writer of the article was a little biased towards his own opinion (I know, imagine that). Moreno averaged 4.2 yards a carry last year, and that needs to be balanced with the understanding he was running behind a line that blocked very poorly the first 2\3 of the season. All of the other backs managed around 2.2 ypc. Not only that, but I'm sure the writer has the common sense to know that if we weren't playing from behind...all the freakin time, we might be able to feed the rock to Moreno in the 2nd half of games a little more often. However, admitting that would of course shooting down his slanted article.

        Additionally, saying Moreno was good at "catching" is a huge understatement. Wooptie freakin doo. So what, I can catch just about anything thrown at me too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn it into a 1st down in the NFL. Moreno averaged over 10 yards a reception last year and, IMO, was one of the best receivers out of the backfield in the entire NFL last year.

        Moreno is starting to remind me alot of Brian Westrbrook during his prime in Philly. Brian was never an elite back between the tackles, but he was still greatly respected on game day because of how dangerous he was receiving out of the backfield. Moreno just living up to being that kind of a back would be a huge benefit to our team's success.
        Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 05-06-2011, 09:32 PM.
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

        Comment


        • #34
          We did address the run game in the only way we could in this draft. First of all; we took a RT and the run game starts on the line, not in the back! Secondly; there was no RB in this draft that could come in, compete and take the starting job. We cant just take a back just cause there is one available. It would have been a waist of a pick to take a back that could not earn the starting job.

          Let us not forget that our main priority was on defense! There were to many holes to fill and not enough picks in one draft to fill them. Despite what we may want, this is a multiple year rebuilding project.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
            I am pretty sure. I honestly do not remember anymore. He was someone I was looking at and when I read whatever it was I stopped.

            IIRC- I think he has or had numerous off field incidents, was a punk in the LR.....I could have him mixed up with someone, but I think that is the case. I dunno, turf toe seems pretty light to drop a guy with his skills out of the draft altogether.

            Anyone confirm or deny this?
            I did some searching and found this (from 2008), from http://sports-boards.net/forums/show...ine-in-trouble

            *This guy says:
            Kid is typical LOTS of talent but NO brains
            Mom and Dad both dead of AIDS by the time he was 11
            He has 2 kids already,....
            What a waste

            *Another guy says:
            Devine has had a history of run ins with the law and this just adds to the list.
            Deion took Noel Devine into his home. Devine STOLE his car. How do you steal the car of someone trying to help you and make your life better. The guy is a low life thug and I hope he doesn't see dollar one in the NFL

            Then there is a link (From 2008) ESPN: Mountaineers' Devine, 3 others plead no contest to battery charges http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3292510

            I have been a follower of Noel Devine and have been advocating for him on this board since 2009 (I didn't know the rules of drafting a player out of college at the time), and i don't recall ever hearing an incident of him being in trouble though. Last year he did injure his toe, and it did lead to him missing games, inwhich it did hurt his draft stock. I still would like to see the Broncos bring him in, and i believe that he realizes that this will be his chance and will make every effort to play in the NFL.

            Aloha
            Last edited by Broncoboy6; 05-06-2011, 10:40 PM.
            HE>i

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
              Personally, I thought the writer of the article was a little biased towards his own opinion (I know, imagine that). Moreno averaged 4.2 yards a carry last year, and that needs to be balanced with the understanding he was running behind a line that blocked very poorly the first 2\3 of the season. All of the other backs managed around 2.2 ypc. Not only that, but I'm sure the writer has the common sense to know that if we weren't playing from behind...all the freakin time, we might be able to feed the rock to Moreno in the 2nd half of games a little more often. However, admitting that would of course shooting down his slanted article.

              Additionally, saying Moreno was good at "catching" is a huge understatement. Wooptie freakin doo. So what, I can catch just about anything thrown at me too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn it into a 1st down in the NFL. Moreno averaged over 10 yards a reception last year and, IMO, was one of the best receivers out of the backfield in the entire NFL last year.

              Moreno is starting to remind me alot of Brian Westrbrook during his prime in Philly. Brian was never an elite back between the tackles, but he was still greatly respected on game day because of how dangerous he was receiving out of the backfield. Moreno just living up to being that kind of a back would be a huge benefit to our team's success.
              I don't think Moreno has the speed to be "another Westbrook". The bottom line is that I can't remember a single play where Moreno has touched the ball where I thought something like "Wow, this guy is impressive", or "We have our #1 RB". If he's as good as some here have said, I just haven't witnessed it yet (and I watch every game).

              I'm not saying he sucks (that would be Maroney); I think he could be a decent backup. But I just haven't seen anything from him yet that convinces me that he's a legitimate #1 running back in the NFL.

              I totally hope Moreno proves me wrong this year.

              Comment


              • #37
                I think he's a very good runner who plays hard, but you can't be a #1 back if you can't stay on the field and take the bulk of the carrys

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by biglig View Post
                  We definitely need help. Knowshon has shown that he is not a #1. He is a decent 3rd down back and thats about it. We need to make a splash in FA and DW would be a great fit. Cedric Benson's name also keeps coming up. Its an uphill battle for Lendale, Buck can't stay healthy, Ball is a great pounder and will be a good backup. Help definitely needed badly and Im sure Fox is on it.
                  Knowshon, if given 20 touches per game, will average about 1,400-1,500 total yards and double digit TD's every year, so YES, he is a #1 back.

                  My ONLY concern with Knowshon is durability, but he will play hurt so thats a good sign. I think this system fits him very well, and I think he can be a pro-bowl player if we feed him the ball and he can stay healthy. At times last year he was the only one on offense that I saw going all out, the 59-14 Raiders beatdown comes to mind, everyone else had completely given up, but he was giving everything he had, that's the type of player I want manning the #1 spot at RB for my team.

                  I think we need to add 1 complimentary back in FA, I'm thinking a guy like Tim Hightower, Michael Bush, Steve Slaton, or Kenneth Darby would be nice additions. Screw DeAngelo, he will cost too much.

                  Moreno will have 1,000 yards this year, I guarantee it!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    When healthy and when our line played decently he was a stud.

                    And no, he isn't a speed back, and he isn't a powerback. He's a guy that can do it all, and I remember Denver had a lot of success with another running back from Georgia who wasn't the fastest or the strongest, but could just do it all.

                    He needs some consistency on the line, and he needs the coach to commit to using the run more. He also would probably do nicely with a partner to split some carries. If we can get him around 20 carries a game I think we'll see a lot of production.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
                      I don't think Moreno has the speed to be "another Westbrook". The bottom line is that I can't remember a single play where Moreno has touched the ball where I thought something like "Wow, this guy is impressive", or "We have our #1 RB". If he's as good as some here have said, I just haven't witnessed it yet (and I watch every game).

                      I'm not saying he sucks (that would be Maroney); I think he could be a decent backup. But I just haven't seen anything from him yet that convinces me that he's a legitimate #1 running back in the NFL.

                      I totally hope Moreno proves me wrong this year.
                      I respect your opinion, and see where you're coming from. I haven't obviously seen him reel off 70 yard runs, but I have seen him do impressive things with the ball in his hands, most of which have been after the catch.

                      I agree that he doesn't have Westbrook's straightline speed, but he is very dangerous in the open field in his own right. Much of the problem he had last year was dodging guys in the backfield, not in the open field.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Running Backs

                        Even teams who use single RB formations rotate their players. Another back needs to be added to the committee.

                        Moreno is best between the tackles. He will do well being give or pitch from spread/gun with wide line splits.

                        If Fox wants McCoy to play a regular X, Y, Z formation in I or split backs, Moreno will do well with a lead blocker, too.

                        He is young. Let's not throw him away yet.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                          He's a #1 RB but we need a better backup.

                          Buck is old and injury prone
                          White maybe but he just tore his achillies
                          Ball has potential but not as a #2

                          I'd love to get Michael Bush..
                          Rejoice in the O-Line upgrade and don't be surprised to see Ball blow you away this year. If KM stays healthy obviously it's a huge plus. The no fullback thing still makes me scratch my head but we added a couple of high end TE's.

                          You can't defend them all...:thumb:
                          [sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                            I respect your opinion, and see where you're coming from. I haven't obviously seen him reel off 70 yard runs, but I have seen him do impressive things with the ball in his hands, most of which have been after the catch.

                            I agree that he doesn't have Westbrook's straightline speed, but he is very dangerous in the open field in his own right. Much of the problem he had last year was dodging guys in the backfield, not in the open field.
                            I'll agree that he's better when he can catch the ball in-stride, but even then I'm not sure I'd call him "dangerous" in the open field. This is a guy with a career-long rush of 36 yards. He's only had 5 runs in his entire career over 20 yards--and only 8 receptions of 20+. He's not a big-play guy like Westbrook.

                            Again, I think Moreno can be useful to the team. He is a good receiver out of the backfield. But I think that, like Westbrook for much of his career, his greatest value will be as a complement to another back who can be the main workhorse. My point is that I'm far from convinced--even putting durability concerns to the side--that Moreno has the skill set to be an every-down #1 running back in the NFL.

                            I am, however, perfectly fine giving him one more season to prove me wrong.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                              Knowshon, if given 20 touches per game, will average about 1,400-1,500 total yards and double digit TD's every year, so YES, he is a #1 back.

                              My ONLY concern with Knowshon is durability, but he will play hurt so thats a good sign. I think this system fits him very well, and I think he can be a pro-bowl player if we feed him the ball and he can stay healthy. At times last year he was the only one on offense that I saw going all out, the 59-14 Raiders beatdown comes to mind, everyone else had completely given up, but he was giving everything he had, that's the type of player I want manning the #1 spot at RB for my team.

                              I think we need to add 1 complimentary back in FA, I'm thinking a guy like Tim Hightower, Michael Bush, Steve Slaton, or Kenneth Darby would be nice additions. Screw DeAngelo, he will cost too much.

                              Moreno will have 1,000 yards this year, I guarantee it!
                              I disagree my good man. He won't get the 20 touches a game first of all because he will splitting time with another back or playing exclusively on third down. He has shown nothing to deserve 20 touches and be #1. He will be better because of Fox's system but so will everyone else. We just need someone that can put their head down and get the tough yards- KM is simply not that guy. How can you guarantee 1000 yards from him and question his durability at the same time? He's best in space after the catch (Reggie Bush type).

                              Put together a KM NFL high lite real (all 30 seconds of it) and then put a DW real (all 30 minutes + of it) and then tell me DW isn't worth the $. Fox will bring in help, hopefully DW.
                              "I've gone great lengths to expand my threshold of pain" - HR

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X