Brian Dawkins Needs to Retire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Dawkins Needs to Retire

Here is my opinion on the Denver secondary. Our cb's are good (assuming that Perrish Cox doesn't go to jail.) But our safety has been lacking since John Lynch left. Honestly I can't think of a decent safety that Denver has had since him, correct me if I'm wrong.

Dawkins is old. I'm sorry Denver but he is. Do I love him as a person and a player? Yes. Absolutely yes. But I specifically remember that San Diego game (the 2nd to last time we played San Diego) and he tried to finger tackle Darren Sproles and let him go for a 50 yard TD. Dawkins is injury prone.

This is why in my opinion we need to let many of the rookies play. They won't get injured as often. He just was injured like half of the season and we need a consistent safety. I don't know about you guys but I am excited to see Rahim Moore play. Hopefully he will be a hard hitting safety. I want to see tackles that aren't jersey grabs. I want to see him take down those running backs like I take down hamburgers around lunchtime!!

And the best part is he seems like a good player guy. I'm pretty pumped about Rahim Moore and I want to send B. Dawkins off with honors worthy of a great Bronco player. Who knows? Maybe he can come back daily to give inspirational speeches to players!
    sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

I think all this talk that Dawkins is done is WAY overblown.

He had a bad knee injury that lingered all year last year and his mobility and range was severely hampered by it.

But, in his week 17 game vs. SD, he appeared to be healthy again and was the Dawkins we are used to seeing. He got an early 3rd down sack, he was good all game vs. Antonio Gates, whether the stats reflect so or not, and had the impact we are used to seeing out of him.

We all know he's not a quitter and I think there's not a chance in hell he throws the towel in, because he knows he still has it.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I disagree, and just so you know, Rahim Moore is not a big hitter at safety. Quinton Carter has more potential to be that kind of guy.

Comment

I rather have him stay and mentor these guys.
        sigpic

Comment

no thanks...
          2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Also, I don't get this "injury prone" crap.

He had a knee hamper him for a season, Polamalu had a lingering injury last year, is he injury prone? Is Tom Brady after he missed that whole season?

Comment

I'd like to keep Dawk for another year. He has a LOT to teach the young guys. He has a lot of leadership to add to this team. And there is no way both rookies are ready this year.

Keep Dawk.
              *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
              *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
              *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I'd keep Dawk and let him groom Carter for the future.

Hill is probably gone.

Comment

Guys please remember that we had NO PASS RUSH.
                  with no pass rush any safety will have a bad year, even that guy from the steelers.

With a improved pass rush dawkins will make the pro bowl again.
                  sigpic Thanks Tebow for everything that you did on your short time being a Bronco. I will always be a fan of yours no matter where you are at.

Comment

Dawkins will play one more season. Damn, he will make $6 million in 2011. That's a very good reason to keep playing, and the Broncos have shown no interest in releasing him so far. He will serve as a mentor to Moore and Carter. Whatever they learn from Dawkins in terms of technique and work ethic will be carried for the rest of their careers. Let him play more zone coverage and get more rest on the sideline, help as a run stopper in the box, blitz.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                      he was good all game vs. Antonio Gates, whether the stats reflect so or not,
                      Antonio Gates was on IR in week 17.

Either way he's here next season, if only as a mentor. Fox wouldn't come out and say that he plans on "leaning on Dawkins this year," if they had any plans to cut him.
                      Last edited by Rob Letts; 05-08-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I want Dawkins back for at least one more year.

The young safeties have much to learn and he'll be a great mentor.

Both of the rookies stated that Dawkins was someone they respected and looked forward to working with.

Has he lost a step or two? Yes, he has.

Can he still be productive as a team leader and inspiration? By all means, YES!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

If Dawkins is kept on the team for next year, he's not going to be playing your typical SS role. I suspect he'll be playing the prototypical SLB role while Miller is going to be blitzing like a 3-4 OLB.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                            If Dawkins is kept on the team for next year, he's not going to be playing your typical SS role. I suspect he'll be playing the prototypical SLB role while Miller is going to be blitzing like a 3-4 OLB.
                            This is a really good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Letts View Post
                              Antonio Gates was on IR in week 17.

Either way he's here next season, if only as a mentor. Fox wouldn't come out and say that he plans on "leaning on Dawkins this year," if they had any plans to cut him.
                              Wow, that was a brainfart.

McMichael, I meant.

Comment

Working...
                              X