ESPN: Broncos' defining moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN: Broncos' defining moment

This is pretty cool and wanted to know what Broncos Country thought!

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...efining-moment
    What key event significantly changed the fortunes of the Broncos -– for better or worse? Give us your take and we’ll give you our definitive moment May 24.

A good starting point is the 1983 trade for quarterback John Elway with Baltimore shortly after the draft. Elway refused to sign with the Colts, but he was more than willing to go to Denver after the trade. It started a stunning 16-season playing career for Elway, who led the Broncos to five Super Bowls, including wins in his final two years as a player. Elway is now in his first year as the Broncos’ front-office football leader, and it all began 28 years ago.

Another nominee is the hiring of Mike Shanahan as head coach in 1995. Shanahan coached the team to two Super Bowl wins in his 14-year tenure with the team, which ended in 2008.

The drafting of running back Terrell Davis in 1995 in the sixth round is also a huge moment in Broncos history. Davis became an instant star and gave Elway the necessary offensive help to finally win the Super Bowl. Davis’ NFL career was cut short by injuries, but he was a superstar for a key period in Denver's history.

Our last nominee is the Broncos' upset victory over Green Bay in Super Bowl XXXII. The Broncos finally achieved what they and Elway were chasing for years.

If you have a better option, hit Other in the SportsNation poll and let us know in the comment section.
    '83 Trade for John Elway
    55.46%
    Hiring of Mike Shanahan as Coach in '95
    7.56%
    Drafting of Terrell Davis in '95
    5.04%
    Super Bowl XXXII Victory over Green Bay
    26.05%
    Other (Please Explain in your Post)
    5.88%
    sigpic

One could argue, that even with the trade for Elway, the hiring of Shanahan, if this one play in the preseason does not happen... We have an empty trophy case.
    Last edited by Frenchy180; 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM.
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
    Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

where would we be without 7
      sigpic

Comment

I will be the vast minority, but I voted Terrell Davis because, without him, the Broncos would not have any Super Bowl ring.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
          I will be the vast minority, but I voted Terrell Davis because, without him, the Broncos would not have any Super Bowl ring.
          This

Elway was great but he couldn't do it alone. Would not have won without Davis.

Comment

I voted with hiring Mike Shanahan. He was the architect of those Super Bowl winning teams. I give him the credit for getting the right guys in the right places at the right time.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
              Agreed.

But the question was "What key event significantly changed the fortunes of the Broncos -– for better or worse?"

Getting Elway changed the mediocre fortunes of The Broncos to Competitor for 15 years. Getting Davis changed The Broncos Fortunes from Competitor to Champion for 2 years. (Of which Elway also was a major part)

So I had to go Elway in '83

sigpic
              \

Comment

Elway couldn't have done it without Davis, but Davis wouldn't have gotten close without Elway. I voted for 7.
                sigpic
                Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Week 15 2008 Season: Dwayne Bowe drops an onside kick with 1 minute left in the Chargers game. The Broncos had a 3 game lead with 3 weeks to go. The Chargers went on to win their last two games and the Broncos lost 3 in a row. This led to the disaster that was Josh McDaniels. If Bowe had held onto that onside kick, we would have made the playoffs in 08, Shanny would still be here, Cutler would still be here, Marshall, Hillis would still be here. Alphonso smith and Richard Quinn and Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers and other wasted 1st and 2nd round draft picks would NOT be here. And we would have a young nucleus headed in the right direction for the future. Blame Dwayne Bowe for everything bad that has happened since.

The Future

NBA's Greatest Player Ever

Comment

we would only have 1 or 2 afc championships if it wasn't for elway.. How can anyone not vote for him
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snake=Superbowl View Post
                      Week 15 2008 Season: Dwayne Bowe drops an onside kick with 1 minute left in the Chargers game. The Broncos had a 3 game lead with 3 weeks to go. The Chargers went on to win their last two games and the Broncos lost 3 in a row. This led to the disaster that was Josh McDaniels. If Bowe had held onto that onside kick, we would have made the playoffs in 08, Shanny would still be here, Cutler would still be here, Marshall, Hillis would still be here. Alphonso smith and Richard Quinn and Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers and other wasted 1st and 2nd round draft picks would NOT be here. And we would have a young nucleus headed in the right direction for the future. Blame Dwayne Bowe for everything bad that has happened since.
                      Thank god he dropped that kick. I couldn't imagine many more years of Shanahan's outdated ineptitude. I thank the guy for bringing us 2 superbowls, but that doesn't mean we are indebted to him forever. He didn't know how to build a team.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Blondie79

Comment

I voted Shanahan. Until he was hired we were the lovable losers, always getting pounded in the big game.
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Nothing comes close to Elway.
                          "Dwight Howard On The Post Dog!!"

Comment

So...is that Other than??
                            sigpic

Comment

One could also blame the kicker for missing a chip shot of a field goal or was it an extra point?

After thinking a bit more about this question... What changed our fortunes hasn't been listed in this thread... I don't know exactly what moment to give credit for it though... but couldn't '77 be considered what changed us from lovable losers to Super Bowl contenders?
                              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                              Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X