ESPN: Broncos' defining moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

towards the 2 Superbowls

I'd go with acquiring Elway when we talk about the road to the 2 Superbowls. There were other things needed to get it, Elway couldn't have done it alone, but I think Elway being here made it possible to acquire the other stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
      One could argue, that even with the trade for Elway, the hiring of Shanahan, if this one play in the preseason does not happen... We have an empty trophy case.
      good one I'd cp u if they counted
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

I voted Elway cause the Franchise changed so much because of that one move including the 5 Superbowl appearances and a lot of people say that he needed others to help-true but I'm also sure a lot of fa that came here had elway as part of the reasons in their mind. and look who is back in charge again to get us back on track

He had people around him and we lost against Jacksonville in first playoff game the year before because we couldn't pressure Brunell and then.......

Elway gave up money so we could aquire free agent Neil Smith and he sures up a defense that held alll the way to a sb win so aquiring Neil Smith that year has to rank up there in important moments it led to superbowl win

Also that year we aquired (from the panthers deja vu) we aquired fb howard griffith who played a key roll blocking for td and recieving especially with a huge catch in afc championship game so that fa also has to be a important moment

The Helicopter is just one play but in the middle of the biggest game in franchise history it galvanized the whole team and we road the momentum to our first superbowl. so that has to be biggest play in my mind for the Broncos so it deserves mention imo

I'll stop there

cp to op like the thread if mine counted anyway lol
        Last edited by FL BRONCO; 05-11-2011, 07:51 PM.
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

With all due respect to those that chose something different, but BY FAR the singular most defining moment of this team is, and will probably always be the trade to send Elway here.....Elway is the Broncos, the Broncos are Elway....he has been retired for thirteen years now, and When people think about the Broncos, they think of Elway. He is a Football icon, and even more, a Broncos icon. He completely changed the face of this franchise like nobody had before, or since.....not Shanny, Davis, nobody.

It's nowhere close.....not even remotely.....Getting Elway and his career here has completely, utterly, and totally defined this team.....therefore what happened in 1983 is the defining moment if this team.....without question.....

Comment

I had to go with #7. While there were other pieces that were needed to get the first SB win, #7 was the one that got the ball rolling. You build a team around the QB, not the RB or coach.
            sigpic

Comment

Elway. Shanny + Td got us Super Bowls but, Elway put this franchise on the map IMO.
              sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Don't get me wrong on this, but getting TD gave us the last piece in the puzzle and as a result, the tides turned.

3rd.
                Adopted Poster
                AZ Snake Fan

Comment

I voted other

Because of Gerald and Allen Phipps stepping up and buying the franchise thus saving them from going to possibly Atlanta.

That was the one thing my uncle told me about the Bronco's, and how the fans responded to the Phipps for buying the team. That has stuck with me all this time.

If the deal had never been worked out there would have been no Bronco's. And from what I gather from talking about people who were there at the time, that was the very beginning of Broncomania.

Which to me, has lead to the real defining moment of the Broncos
                  People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tacmale View Post
                    Because of Gerald and Allen Phipps stepping up and buying the franchise thus saving them from going to possibly Atlanta.

That was the one thing my uncle told me about the Bronco's, and how the fans responded to the Phipps for buying the team. That has stuck with me all this time.

If the deal had never been worked out there would have been no Bronco's. And from what I gather from talking about people who were there at the time, that was the very beginning of Broncomania.

Which to me, has lead to the real defining moment of the Broncos
                    Mentioning them also brings to mind Floyd Little whose nickname is "The Franchise". If I'm not mistaken, John Elway once called Floyd Little the greatest Bronco.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Been watching the Broncos since the 70s.

Best thing the team did - Trade for Elway

Worst thing team did - Hire Josh McD
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        Mentioning them also brings to mind Floyd Little whose nickname is "The Franchise". If I'm not mistaken, John Elway once called Floyd Little the greatest Bronco.
                        I'm glad someone mentioned "The Franchise". There's been a lot of past speculation that if Floyd Little wouldn't have been drafted the Broncos would have moved because he finally gave the fans some excitement and made the Broncos competitive, even though they didn't win a lot of games.
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Trading for John Elway back in '83.
                          Without him, we wouldn't have had any chance for a single Super Bowl. And yes, he couldn't do it alone, but he was the main guy in this team.
                          sigpic

Comment

I voted the superbowl but prematurely. After a little more thought it was the John Elway trade. If John Elway hadn't recently joined are front office, and currently still influencing this organization in a positive way - I'd say it was that first superbowl. But yea, since I think John will do so much more going forward I'd say him being a part of Bronco nation forever changed the Broncos, and will continue to do so hopefully for a long time.

Comment

Tough choice between Elway and Davis, but had to go with #7. :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                              X