Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We had the 7th ranked defense in 2009...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We had the 7th ranked defense in 2009...

I want to point out to all the doom and gloom posters on here that with almost the same personnel, minus Doom, we had the 7th ranked defense in the entire Nfl in 2009.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...1&d-447263-n=1

Why the big swing?

1. Injuries. When you lose one of the best pass rushers in the Nfl, offenses can just pick you apart without fear or pressure.

2. Culture change. Mike Nolan brought an attitude to our defense that Wink could not equal. Wink was behind the eight ball early because of injuries, but he could not find a way to overcome them.

3. No continuity and identity. With all the injuries, you would think we would simplify things to at least put out a solid base defense...did not happen...McD's needed to adjust each week to his opponents and complicate things even further for an already depleted team. Chaos would be the best word to describe our defense once a few plays broke down.

4. Schemes did not match talent. Our players were not athletic and versatile enough to pull off what McDaniels wanted. The Patriots took years to not only indoctrinate their shemes and philosophies into their players, but also draft the right kind of players that would fit their schemes. McD's tried to implant too much at once without building the foundation first. Whereas Nolan understood best how to get the most of what we had...the big reason Nolan moved on was McD's had a problem with Nolan not adjusting enough to our opponents.

***Please share any other reasons you feel were major contributors to our overall swing from one year to the next***

Why this gets me excited. With the right coach, which I believe Fox/Allen are, and a healthy Doom alone, there is no reason why we can't be a top 10 again. Posters will bring up our DT situation, and I will say that what we get in FA will already be better than R. Fields who was our starting NT that year.

Now you add in a:

- 3rd year Robert Ayers going back to his most natural position

- the most gifted athletic freak and prolific pass rusher the draft has seen since Derrick Thomas in Von Miller

- the huge maturity and versatility of Big Vickerson manning one of our DT spots

- DJ Williams going back to WLB where he is pro bowl caliber

- Nate Irving/Mays combination bringing the pain and leadership we so desperately have needed at the Mike

- Rahim Moore and Darcel Mcbath duo covering ground and ball hawking that very few teams could match with talent and coverage skills. Plus two safeties I feel real confident in playing the nickel and dime if needed without cringing...ugh, Nate Jones.

- one of the most feared pass rushes in football that will allow second year CB Cox plus Goodman and Bailey get back to some big INT #'s.

- Dawkins and Carter that can be great thumpers for us in the run game.

- a defensive coordinator in Allen that along with Fox will establish an identity that we are the Denver Broncos and this is how we take it too an offense. If we continually bring it, they will eventually crumble!

- lastly John Fox...he has already proven to turnaround a dismal defense over the course of a year when he first took over Carolina. He has way more talent to work with here than he did back than. I'm looking forward to see what he can do!
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

In 2009, we had a lot of other things besides Dumervil:

1.Mike Nolan, reliable DC
    2.Darrell Reid, 4 sacks as a situational OLB
    3.Vonnie Holliday, 5 sacks as a situational DE
    4.Brian Dawkins playing at a higher level early in the season
    5.Andra Davis playing well at ILB early in the season
    6.Andre Goodman healthy, playing all 16 games, 17 p. def, 5 ints

And maybe this list can go on.

2010 came, the defense suffered from poor invetment, got very little help from the draft, which was offense-heavy.

Dumervil makes a huge difference. That's why we drafted Von Miller, to make sure the pass rush gets back to where it should be.

But the 2010 defense had multiple issues.
    sigpic

Comment

To be fair, our defense in 09 was still utter garbage against the run.

Comment

Excellent post!!!!!!!

I am also one to see a big turnaround in this D, combining the right coaching with amazing amount of natural talent, and possibly the soon to be most feared pass rush in the NFL!!! This will be a team of opportunists, and I expect a serious improvement in sacks, fumbles, interceptions and lower completion rates.

I expect Ayers and DJ to play at the level we expect of both of them.

Comment

2010 came, the defense suffered from poor invetment, got very little help from the draft, which was offense-heavy.

Dumervil makes a huge difference. That's why we drafted Von Miller, to make sure the pass rush gets back to where it should be.

Good points Rod! I could not think of everything off the top of my head. Andra Davis I think was overlooked by a lot of us fans, but he brought great stability and leadership up the middle for us. Hoping Irving can fill that role and more. Goodman got 5 int's because of the pressure we were bringing that year...I see him Champ and Cox really having a field day with INT's in 2011.
          "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

The decline of our defense in 2010 was troubling.

With many of the same players from 2009, one would have to presume much of the trouble came from poor coaching and/or lack of execution. Even without Dumervil, no way should this team have dropped from 7th to 32nd.

Like many of you, I saw our players out of position, looking confused, and disgusted at each other last season. This tells me they were not prepared for what they were facing.

I have confidence that the new coaching staff will have our players better prepared. I thinking hiring Fox is exactly what this team needed. Hiring Dennis Allen was brilliant. These two guys will do everything they can to improve the defense.

It's time to put the "D" back in Denver.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah I'll have to agree with the post up above, 2009 our run D was not great. That being said, the combination of Nolan/McDaniels/Wink/ better dline/healthier secondary obviously played a role. None the less, if we want to win in our division the defense is going to have to stop the run. We play some of the best running games in the league and that is why I think John Fox was hired. Orange Crush back in Denver, lets do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post

Andra Davis was a huge asset for us. Not a flashy player in any sense of the word. But he was an angry thumper in the middle for us, and it really rubbed off on DJ that year.

In 2010 we didn't see that until Mays got some playing time
                Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

Actually the defense was good for the first 6 games of 2009, so good it offset some of the bad of the last 10 games.

Night and day difference from the bye week. We did not allow a single 100 yard rusher before the bye week in 09.

After the bye week, we only held 3 teams to under 100 yards rushing.
                  3 of those post bye week games were over 200 yards rushing, 1 over 300.

7 teams had more than 20 first downs post bye week, only 2 teams had exactly 20 first downs pre bye week.

5 out of the 6 pre bye week games, opponents held under 20 points.

2 out of the 10 post bye week games, opponents held under 20 points.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlueOrange7 View Post
                    Yeah I'll have to agree with the post up above, 2009 our run D was not great. That being said, the combination of Nolan/McDaniels/Wink/ better dline/healthier secondary obviously played a role. None the less, if we want to win in our division the defense is going to have to stop the run. We play some of the best running games in the league and that is why I think John Fox was hired. Orange Crush back in Denver, lets do this.

For me, Orange Crush is all about having a top quality Linebacking crew......and for what I know, we are building one as we speak. I really think the names - Miller, DJ, Irving along with Haggan, Woodyard, Mays, etc. are going to get it done for us in the D mid section. For that matter, Doom and even Ayers could be lined up there from time to time. This is an abundance of talent, and varied skills......they can't beat us without a real fight anymore!!

Comment

Great Posts! I personally think that Mike Nolan was given way to much credit for for the outstanding defense we fielded for the first 6 games of the 2009 season. A lot of Josh McDaniels hatred had been going around here, while there has been a love feast for Mike Nolan.

What I saw happening at the beginning of 2009, was that between Josh and Mike, they put together a very different defense from what we had in 2008. Josh envisioned a player like Elvis Dumerville playing a different role and Mike Nolan made it happen. On the flip side of that coin - and the reason that I think that the love for Nolan and the disrespect for Wink is misplaced - is that after playing those darn Ravens (as always) we ended up in shambles. In the last ten games of the 2009 season we were exactly as lousy as in 2010 (ok maybe a bit less so given the better general health). About 2/3 of Elvis sacks came in the first 6 games, we were dominated on the run after that.

2009 in my books shoved a DC that did not adjust well, and the Defense under Nolan was 100% responsible for loosing the Raiders, Eagles game, and the KC game. Nolans defense did not play well down the stretch even with the minimal amounts of injuries.

Injuries made Wink's and Josh' jobs very difficult in 2010 - we can easily improve, and we got some promising young players both on O & D.

Comment

They were one of the worst in the league down the stretch and a lot of smoke and mirrors was the reason our defense was rated that high.

Comment

The defense ran out of gas also due to a lack of depth.

Also McD started to take over the play calling.
                          sigpic

Comment

9th ranked defense is a flawed statistic because the Defense started out being #2 for about 6 weeks into the season. Why?

Dumervil + Nolan with a new scheme. Once there was a lot of game tape on them, things fell apart. Dawkins was also playing out of his mind & that obviously changed last season.
                            sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Letting go of Nolan was such a huge mistake by McD.

Probably was the most underrated signing last season was Nolan to the Dolphins. From 22nd defense in 09 to 6th in 2010 with basically a bunch of nobodies outside of Wake & Dansby.

Comment

Working...
                              X