Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We had the 7th ranked defense in 2009...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luckyshot
    replied
    Originally posted by crash123go View Post
    Uh dude that was the same game. The 2009 game against the volts mcdaniels took play calling away and his defense only had 1 TD scored on them. Nolans did absolutely nothing against manning
    Great, obviously McDaniels continue that same line of success and it carried into the defense into the following year.

One game does not make it the right way to go.

Leave a comment:

• broncolassiter
    replied
    The fact is that McD is not a defensive minded coach and should have left the defense to his coaches. As with all people. they are only as good as the sum of there talents. McD like a lot of other kids, thought he knew more than the generation before him. Give McD 10 years and time to develop his talents and learn that he can't know everything, he will be a good coach.

McD's system may very well work, but you have to have the right tools for the job. It's like a carpenter trying to cut lumber with a hammer, it won't work, just like a saw can't drive nails. McD's system would need the right skills in each job.

Leave a comment:

• crash123go
    replied
    Originally posted by Luckyshot View Post
    Really??

You mean that with the personnel we had, Nolan blew it and McD should of just taken over because Nolan called aggressive blitzing against a team that went to the SuperBowl.

Then McD did better against an injury riddle Colts team that could not even make it to the playoffs.

Last year was one of the worst Colt teams in the Peyton Manning era, not counting his rookie year. Of course the Broncos did better, but it still does not change the fact that without Nolan and with McDs new defensive staff/personnel that we were at the overall bottom of defense.

And then oddly, the real shocker is, that Nolan goes to Miami and his team defense was ranked 6th when it was near the bottom the league before he got there.

Nolan carried this team much more than McD speeches,sideline faces, fist pumps, and the famous " I have never been part of a losing season in my life", than McD ever did.

I will spin that broken record again, if McD kept his ego in check and let Nolan do his job he would still have a job as our head coach.
    Uh dude that was the same game. The 2009 game against the volts mcdaniels took play calling away and his defense only had 1 TD scored on them. Nolans did absolutely nothing against manning

Leave a comment:

• johnlimburg
    replied
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...%3A+Broncos%29

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14219106

I need to go find the other stuff I had about the situation but its been a while now since I had to go look it up.
    This doesn't tell us who put together the game plan and called it like I said. He may have for one game however I doubt he called it for the whole game and didn't put together the game plan alone. And where is the evidence for the other games after that where people beleive he took over play calling.

Leave a comment:

• Luckyshot
    replied
    Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Exactly. We don't know who is employing the defensive game plan and then calling it. No one knows except for the coaching staff and the players.
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...%3A+Broncos%29

As I was told by several players, the beginning of the end for Nolan was the Indianapolis Colts' game — the 13th of the season. To review, the Broncos carried an 8-4 record into that game, having won their last two. McDaniels won the coin toss, deferred, and then Peyton Manning put the Colts up 21-0 after three possessions.

During that 21-0 blitzkrieg, Nolan called some plays — particularly the run-blitz — that McDaniels didn't like. The hostile way McDaniels handled that communication breakdown was not well-received by Nolan. A month and four consecutive losses later, Nolan and McDaniels mutually agreed to part ways, without much comment
    http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14219106

According to an NFL source, the relationship between McDaniels and Nolan, while not contentious, began to gradually develop an irritant, like a scratch that wouldn't stop itching. Nolan believed he would have more autonomous control of the defense. And McDaniels, like Belichick, is a head coach who oversees all phases of a football operation.

I need to go find the other stuff I had about the situation but its been a while now since I had to go look it up.

Leave a comment:

• Luckyshot
    replied
    Originally posted by crash123go View Post
    Actually it was nolans play calling and his inability to stop peyton manning is why he took over play calling and as I remember it mcdaniels defense picked off manning atleast 3 times and only allowed 1 TD
    Really??

You mean that with the personnel we had, Nolan blew it and McD should of just taken over because Nolan called aggressive blitzing against a team that went to the SuperBowl.

Then McD did better against an injury riddle Colts team that could not even make it to the playoffs.

Last year was one of the worst Colt teams in the Peyton Manning era, not counting his rookie year. Of course the Broncos did better, but it still does not change the fact that without Nolan and with McDs new defensive staff/personnel that we were at the overall bottom of defense.

And then oddly, the real shocker is, that Nolan goes to Miami and his team defense was ranked 6th when it was near the bottom the league before he got there.

Nolan carried this team much more than McD speeches,sideline faces, fist pumps, and the famous " I have never been part of a losing season in my life", than McD ever did.

I will spin that broken record again, if McD kept his ego in check and let Nolan do his job he would still have a job as our head coach.

Leave a comment:

• marcus_miller
    replied
    I'd say that whole mess is #1 on my list of most disappointing Broncos moments. IDK if disappointing is the right word. Maybe it's just, pissed me off the most.

I waited for years and years to have a great D and we were given it with Nolan and then it just got taken away. I personally think McD handled something wrong. One way or another bottom line is McD screwed that whole situation up. I wasn't on the fire McD train but, I surely wasn't on the fan wagon after Nolan "mutually parted ways".

Leave a comment:

• MoXplant
    replied
    Ya know, the first 6 games we won on the play of our defense - they carried our team.

Everyone was like 'wow' - this defense is tough!

Then they went from very hot - orange crush hot - to freezing cold.

I am convinced something happened there. McD fighting with Nolan? Locker room shake-up? Where's the Paul Harvey on what happended...?

I know some will say that other teams figured us out, and to some extent I will agree that being totally one dimensional - HS level on offense made us easy to out score, but our defensive collapse was epic and I'm not convinced that 7 or the next 8 teams we played found the magic team to rendering our defense totally - TOTALLY ineffective, especially after such an amazing start...

Leave a comment:

• johnlimburg
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    You are making up quite some things. The disagreements between Nolan and McDaniels came during the Colts game, where the defense got smoked by Manning, before they started doing better later in the game. There is no indication that McDaniels mandated anything but effort.
    Exactly. We don't know who is employing the defensive game plan and then calling it. No one knows except for the coaching staff and the players.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoFanDK
    replied
    Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
    They finished 7th in overall D. They were number one leading up to the Pittsburgh game.

You can try to call it smoke and mirrors but that D was holding teams without a single first down in the second half of games. That is simply beast mode.

Game tape? I hope that isn't serious.

The D was told to change their philosophy by McD himself!

Before this post, I said it in a few other threads, there is no reason this team can't go to middle of the pack. If everybody stays healthy and the O can actually do something other than go 3 and out, this team could go top 10 on D.
    You are making up quite some things. The disagreements between Nolan and McDaniels came during the Colts game, where the defense got smoked by Manning, before they started doing better later in the game. There is no indication that McDaniels mandated anything but effort.

Leave a comment:

• johnlimburg
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco_Armada View Post
    we had a defense at one time?
    Yeh pre 2006

Leave a comment:

• Bronco_Armada
    replied
    we had a defense at one time?

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    The only reason they were ranked 7th overall in 2009 is because they started out strong but utterly failed in the second half of the season.

Leave a comment:

• BluenOrnge4Life
    replied
    Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
    They finished 7th in overall D. They were number one leading up to the Pittsburgh game.

You can try to call it smoke and mirrors but that D was holding teams without a single first down in the second half of games. That is simply beast mode.

Game tape? I hope that isn't serious.

The D was told to change their philosophy by McD himself!

Before this post, I said it in a few other threads, there is no reason this team can't go to middle of the pack. If everybody stays healthy and the O can actually do something other than go 3 and out, this team could go top 10 on D.
    Oh really, You care to tell me how that Defense finished in rushing yards allowed? The Pitts game is your measuring stick, so you base your judgement off of what a team does only 8 weeks into a season? You care to tell me how they did the final 8 weeks?

That same team went 2-8 down the stretch and A LOT had to do with the defense. Not even Nolan can continue to make up for a lack of talent.

Leave a comment:

• crash123go
    replied
    McD control freak needs got in the way, he did not like Nolan's aggressive philosophy and demanded play calling. The Front Office really blew it giving McD all that power.
    Actually it was nolans play calling and his inability to stop peyton manning is why he took over play calling and as I remember it mcdaniels defense picked off manning atleast 3 times and only allowed 1 TD

Leave a comment:

Working...
X