Greatest Bronco LB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Runner View Post
    Gradishar. It's a crime that an above-average LB like Harry Carson is in the HoF and Gradishar remains on the outside looking in. Inexcusable, actually.
    Bam! This is the argument I've been making for years. I also say it's a sham that a one dimensional player like Andree Tippett can get in before Meck, who had more All-Pro's and pro bowls!
    Last edited by broncojuan; 05-12-2011, 09:55 PM.
    Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Runner View Post
      Gradishar. It's a crime that an above-average LB like Harry Carson is in the HoF and Gradishar remains on the outside looking in. Inexcusable, actually.
      Gradishar was in a league of his own. He finished his career with the NFL record for most tackles all time with 2,049. He averaged over 200 tackles a season for ten seasons. Unbelievable! How he is not in the HOF is maybe the Hall's biggest travesty.
      sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Bronco Backers?

Originally posted by blonddad View Post
        Greatest Bronco linebacker of all time.
        Shame on you for not including Bob Swenson. :nono:
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I went with Mobley not because I think he was the best player but because he was my personal favorite to watch and cheer for...but also he was a good steady starter.
          sigpic
          Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
          You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
          You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
          Have It All - Blu3
          Conceited - Blu3
          Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
          All On You - Blu3

Comment

I say Karl Mecklenburg because he was the most disruptive force we have ever had on the defense imo. I think he was lucky enough to play with allot of other playmakers but he was the best playmaker of the bunch imo. One season he played 10 of the possible 11 defensive spots.

Here is my lists

1. Karl Mecklenburg
            2. Tom Jackson (I have never seen a LB better at getting penetration)
            3. Al Wilson (most dominating run defender we have ever had imo)
            4. Randy Gradishar
            5. John Mobley (will always have a spot on my list for making the victory play in our 1st super bowl win)
            6. Simon Fletcher (I consider more of a DE then LB but he is on the poll)
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by $Broncos$ View Post
              Karl Mechlenburg was our best player.

I personally loved watching Romanowski though since he was mad crazy in the head on the field.
              Word..........
              I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

Randy Gradishar. Legitimate HoF candidate. Just look at his body of work and his awards.

7× Pro Bowl selection (1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983)
                5× First-team All-Pro selection (1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981)
                1× Second-team All-Pro selection (1983)
                7× All-AFC selection (1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983)
                1978 NFL Defensive Player of the Year
                2× Denver Broncos MVP (1978, 1980)
                2× All-American (1972, 1973)
                Denver Broncos Ring of Fame
                Ohio State Varsity Hall of Fame
                Ohio State Football All-Century Team

Hall of Fame finalist in 2003, 2008. Semi-finalist in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...G/GradRa00.htm
                sigpic

Comment

I loved every player on the list. I hope to love Miller, too.

I went old school. My vote is for Randy Gradishar.

Randy Gradishar should be in the HOF. He was the undisputed leader of the best defense we ever had.

This was an easy vote for me.
                  sigpic

Comment

Gradishar.

Not only was he the greatest tackler in the history of the NFL, he was also the best short yardage LB that ever played.

When Gradishar was playing and the other team was in a 4th and 1, I would "pray" that they would go for it, cuz they weren't going to make it.

We were getting ready to play the Lions with the great RB Billy Simms and one of the local writers wrote a column about how Billy Simms was 6 for 6 getting first downs on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 so far that year.

Gradishar was something like 9 for 9 in stopping short yardage plays on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1.

The article made me very interested in this matchup...

During the game, on a short yardage, Simms went over RG. Gradishar stopped him.

Later, on another short yardage play, Simms went off LT. Gradishar stopped him.

Then, on yet another short yardage play, Simms tried to go around the left end. Gradishar stopped him.

After the game, Simms was then 6 out of 9 getting first downs and Gradishar was still a perfect 12 out of 12.

"How many number 53s are there?" - Howard Cosell

Comment

I put Von Miller on the list for reaction. No way (not yet, at least) he should be on the list but maybe one day....

People hating on Ian Gold. Gold was a personal favorite of mine. He is on the bottom of this list for me as well but I give no apologies for putting him on.

I loved Bob Swenson and Mike Croel (and Joe Rizzo, too) but chose players with longer careers with the Broncos. Romo had the fewest games (96) as a Bronco on the list.

Simon Fletcher started out at DE (hence his number 73) but played the majority of his career at OLB. He is the all-time sack leader for the Broncos and I feel the most under-appreciated. He had 16 sacks one year and still didn't make the Pro Bowl. I picked him for sentimental reasons but if I were picking objectively he would not be my choice.

If I were to pick objectively I think the choice comes down to Gradishar or Wilson with Mecklenburg third. Al Wilson is the most physical LB to wear the Orange and Blue but Gradishar had the best knack for making plays.

So my order goes:

Randy Gradishar
                      Al Wilson
                      Karl Mecklenburg
                      Tom Jackson
                      Bill Romanowski
                      John Mobley
                      Simon Fletcher
                      DJ Williams
                      Ian Gold

Who knows where Von Miller ends up?
                      Bronco fan since 1971

Comment

Originally posted by blonddad View Post
                        I put Von Miller on the list for reaction. No way (not yet, at least) he should be on the list but maybe one day....

People hating on Ian Gold. Gold was a personal favorite of mine. He is on the bottom of this list for me as well but I give no apologies for putting him on.

I loved Bob Swenson and Mike Croel (and Joe Rizzo, too) but chose players with longer careers with the Broncos. Romo had the fewest games (96) as a Bronco on the list.

Simon Fletcher started out at DE (hence his number 73) but played the majority of his career at OLB. He is the all-time sack leader for the Broncos and I feel the most under-appreciated. He had 16 sacks one year and still didn't make the Pro Bowl. I picked him for sentimental reasons but if I were picking objectively he would not be my choice.

If I were to pick objectively I think the choice comes down to Gradishar or Wilson with Mecklenburg third. Al Wilson is the most physical LB to wear the Orange and Blue but Gradishar had the best knack for making plays.

So my order goes:

Randy Gradishar
                        Al Wilson
                        Karl Mecklenburg
                        Tom Jackson
                        Bill Romanowski
                        John Mobley
                        Simon Fletcher
                        DJ Williams
                        Ian Gold

Who knows where Von Miller ends up?
                        IMO, Meck was the most physical LB we ever had...But it's a matter of opinion.

Comment

I think #9 is WAY to low for this group. They should easily be top 5.
                          Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Comment

#7 on offense and #77 on defense.

Comment

Those are the Dudes.

[QUOTE=broncojuan;3782911]

I think #9 is WAY to low for this group. They should easily be top 5.[/QUOTE

Swenson's and Rizzo's names should be on this poll, too. :thumb:

Thanks, Bro.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Randy Gradishar by a LAAANNDDD SLIDE!!! There was and is no better that I have seen in my lifetime!!!
                                sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Working...
                                X