A smaller Kevin Vickerson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    I would expect all DL in most NFL defenses to rotate on a regular basis. It is advisable.

Running between the tackles isn't going to yield a high return for effort in yards gained if every gap has a defender in it regardless of size.

In a gap control D (six gaps), backside is covered by two defenders for cutback and three are pursuing to the sideline on playside.

Fox said he wanted speed and Allen said he wants to attack. Don't kill the messenger.

Who will wear down more quickly even in rotation? A fat DT who is asked to pursue or a lighter DL who is conditioned to run? Remember Gilbert Brown in SB XXXII?

You played D. Team speed on D is a big deal if the middle can be closed to the run. That is possible with the right alignments and calls.

So, you're asking us to rely on depth that we don't have yet?

I agree with what you're saying, but there are questions as to whether we are going to have good enough talent on our starting 2 DTs let alone depth.

Gilbert Brown is why I'm saying we need to find a balance. Gilbert Brown was listed at 340 lbs. LISTED being the key words. He was probably more like 380 or higher.

If Gilbert Brown were 330 or 340, then he would've been a much more effective player. That guy literally ate his way out of the NFL.

285 is at the other end of the Gilbert Brown extreme in my mind.

Comment

Kevin Vickerson Drops 30 pounds shows up to denver at 285

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...itch-in-denver

Kevin Vickerson has turned this upside-down offseason into his own personal episode of "The Biggest Loser."

The Broncos defensive tackle surprised teammates on Tuesday when he showed up for a Denver-area voluntary players-only workout having lost more than 30 pounds.

"They were like, 'Where is the rest of you at?'" Vickerson said, according to The Denver Post. "I look like I looked at Michigan State."

Vickerson is now at a lean 285 pounds, down from his 321-pound playing weight last season. He shed the weight to better fit into coach John Fox's new 4-3 defense, where he will start at tackle. He played defensive end last season in a 3-4 scheme.

Vickerson -- who was signed during training camp after being cut by the Seattle Seahawks -- was a bright spot on a Broncos defense that finished dead last in football last season. The 28-year-old was rewarded for his production with a two-year, $4.75 million contract extension signed prior to the lockout in March. Because of the timing of the pact, he receives a $1 million bonus this summer regardless of labor strife.

"I'm happy with the deal, but I'm not satisfied," Vickerson said. "I still have to work. I still have to prove myself."

Fox retained defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely, a man Vickerson has formed a good relationship with. Fox has high hopes for Vickerson, who he sees as a player on the verge of taking his game to the next level.

"He's a young guy that has bounced around a little bit. I don't know if he's turned the corner, but he's definitely on the curve and a guy that we think can definitely help us," Fox said. "He's got a lot of the tools, physically, that we're looking for."

Vickerson was the only starting defensive lineman to attend the voluntary workouts organized by veteran safety Brian Dawkins. His attendance paired with his sleek new image are two signs the veteran is looking to entrench himself in Denver for the long haul.

"They expressed to me they want me to be the starter and be a vocal leader, so that's what I'm trying to do."
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

I have it on good information that the Broncos don't need any defensive tackles on the roster.

Comment

then our Defense wont work, we need 2 big good men to anchor our D he is one of them.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

There was a lengthy discusion on this already.

However it is a different article from last time though.

Comment

285 is never lean. Its just less fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                then our Defense wont work, we need 2 big good men to anchor our D he is one of them.

Whup, here's a new quote from Fox when he saw the new thinner Vickerson: "Oh yeah, defensive tackle is a position!"

Comment

Originally posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
                  No it isn't.

Look at a 285 pound man, average joe on the street at look at a 285 pound athlete. Yes less fat but he is lean.

A lean man. Filled out

Comment

Originally posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
                    U have no idea what ur talking about. This guy is 319(40 lbs heavier and only 3 inches taller), is he not lean?

http://cache.heraldinteractive.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/solder-combine.jpg

How bout him at 310?

http://www.thearchnemesis.com/images/Yao%20Ming%20Van%20Gundy.jpg

Comment

• http://www.thearchnemesis.com/images...an%20Gundy.jpg

Comment

• http://cache.heraldinteractive.com/b...er-combine.jpg

Comment

• http://cmsimg.indystar.com/apps/pbcs...W=300&Border=0

Comment

• Madfanatic we undertand you proved the guy that he was wrong. Calm down.

Comment

• Lol its not a guy. I'm calm though.

Comment

Working...
                              X