Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The top 3 hardest schedules according to the NFL go to........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There must be a stat that takes into account the % of time that the previous year's results are accurate for the year following......in other words, what's the correlation year over year?

I'll bet schedule toughness is less linked to the previous year's outcome as some would think (or conversely, ease of schedule).

It also has a whole lot to do with how much better or worse you play, as a team.

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
      #1 Carolina
      #2 Buffalo
      #3 Denver

Anyone else think this is odd? Why do the 3 worst teams in football last year have the 3 hardest schedules according to the NFL?
      Not a big deal. Just the luck of the draw sometimes. Strength of schedule right now is based on the record other teams had last year.

Part of it is that we are playing the NFC North division this year, and their records were pretty decent. Part of it is that in our own division we are the only team with a losing record last year.

So, the first thing to remember is that very few of the teams we play this season will likely play just like they did last year. We didn't play last year like we had the year before, for example. Other teams will have injuries, they will not have the same rosters, so some of the changes they have had to implement will improve their rosters, or they could be worse.
      You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
        Your last sentnce said it all...Tebow will be up to the task, or he'll die trying.

The Chargers still need a clutch coach, The Chiefs will miss Weiss (Haley looked like walking death in draft interviews,) and the Raiders still have Al Davis at the helm (speaking of walking death,Yeow.)

On top of that we will make opposing QB's eat turf more than any team in the league this year and for many to come. All things considered we should at least win our home games against division for a change.

Glass half full
        Clutch coach or not, as long as Rivers is at the helm he will be a threat to divisional teams

With Davis looking like walking death he still knows how to play division rivals. And after last years divisional sweep.. he's not over yet.

I'm not saying superbowls will come from this division.. but earning the title as Division Champs will be far more difficult.

Comment

Just thought it was a funny coincidence. Not putting a ton of validity into it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            There must be a stat that takes into account the % of time that the previous year's results are accurate for the year following......in other words, what's the correlation year over year?

I'll bet schedule toughness is less linked to the previous year's outcome as some would think (or conversely, ease of schedule).

It also has a whole lot to do with how much better or worse you play, as a team.
            This...should be very easy to calculate...I might just do it...

Can someone point me to the strength of schedule or maybe just the original draft order (before trades) for the past 10 years?
            Last edited by jgod654; 05-15-2011, 11:35 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

It's because you don't have the pleasure of playing yourself, a terrible team.

Your division mates play you (a bad team) 2 times, while you play them (good teams).

Comment

The only teams worth fearing are the Packers and Patriots IMO. The rest are manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
                  It's because you don't have the pleasure of playing yourself, a terrible team.

Your division mates play you (a bad team) 2 times, while you play them (good teams).
                  I read that at first, I totally read it completely different than intended I didnt see the terrible team part lol.

Strength schedule does not really matter, look at the NFC South, AFC North etc, divisions are so competitive the first goal is to survive your own. What happen to the Raiders last season was a fluke, they should of won the division.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jgod654 View Post
                    This...should be very easy to calculate...I might just do it...

Can someone point me to the strength of schedule or maybe just the original draft order (before trades) for the past 10 years?
                    I don't know shortcuts, but if you are trying to figure draft order each year, here's a manual but accurate way that I know of....

- go to NFL.com
                    - enter "standings"
                    - make sure you have "regular season"
                    - sort on "league"

this will give you the correct draft order (in reverse actually), for each year. You can go back 10 years for sure.

Probably an easier way......someone please go for it!

Comment

The lamest thing about SOS is that it doesnt take into account (and it can't) any of the offseason changes. So, if Peyton Manning or Drew Brees blow out their ACL (God forbid), that wouldnt be taken into account. If Clay Matthews or BJ Raji get traded to the Broncos, that wouldnt be taken into account.

So. . . IMO SOS should be ignored.
                      Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                        #1 Carolina
                        #2 Buffalo
                        #3 Denver

Anyone else think this is odd? Why do the 3 worst teams in football last year have the 3 hardest schedules according to the NFL?
                        Well, it's a good thing we only have to win one game at a time then

Comment

I know a lot of this is a repeat but...

Every year there are a handful of people who scream foul about how the NFL is screwing them because "we have the toughest S.O.S." It's a stupid arguement and shouldn't even be a discussion. Especially since many posters have made the ever so obvious point about how - - If your team sucks than your division opponents have a weaker S.O.S because they play you twice vs. having to play themselves twice.

All but 2 opponents are set many years in advance. Basically you play each of your division foes twice (6 games), then everyone in your division plays the same four teams from another AFC division, and ditto for a NFC division. These 14 opponents are decided at least 5 years in advance (barring an expansion franchise comes along) The final 2 opponents are from the 2 remaining AFC divisions, and you play the team that finished in the same place (i.e 4th this year for us) as you.

Personally I feel we caught a very favorable draw with our 2 opponents that are decided by S.O.S. (Cincy and Tennessee). You couldn't ask for 2 weaker, more plagued with issues teams other than possibly playing ourselves twice. Tenn has a new coach, new rookie QB and Cincy as of now looks like they'll have a 2nd round rookie QB and a rookie WR.
                          Last edited by ECBeastor; 05-17-2011, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Cool. This way when we go 6-10, we'll have improved but will still be in line for great draft picks that we'll need to turn this thing around. I think another solid draft and we'll be good to go. (We have a lot of holes.)
                            sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Working...
                            X