Class of the AFC? (and discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class of the AFC? (and discussion)

The Broncos are only 8-5 and fighting for their playoff lives...but is anybody clearly better? Take a look:

Denver:
    --Overall offense #7, rushing #1, passing #24
    --Overall defense #3, rushing #5, passing #12
    Weaknesses: Not staying focused against weak teams. Not staying healthy. Passing offense? If Denver hadn't lost Jake for 4 games, all their offensive stats would probably be better (especially passing), not to mention their record.

New England:
    --Overall offense #17, rushing #25, passing #9
    --Overall defense #6, rushing #4, passing #4
    Weaknesses: Rushing offense. How can a team this bad at running the ball have the league's best record? We almost beat them despite starting our 3rd-string QB.

Kansas City:
    --Overall offense #3, rushing #12, passing #4
    --Overall defense #28, rushing #30, passing #13
    Weaknesses: Defense, rushing in particular. This will kill them in the playoffs. We should have won the first game and DESTROYED them in the second.

Indianapolis:
    --Overall offense #2, rushing #24, passing #1
    --Overall defense #12, rushing #15, passing #2
    Weaknesses: Rushing offense. They rock in the passing game but one-dimensional offenses tend to have troubles against good defenses. Their rushing defense is only fair. We play them in two weeks, so we'll see personally how good they are.

Tennessee:
    --Overall offense #10, rushing #27, passing #5
    --Overall defense #14, rushing #1, passing #11
    Weaknesses: Just like Indy, they struggle to run the ball. Their overall defense is good but nothing special. We won't play them unless it's in the playoffs; if we do, I like our chances.

Baltimore:
    --Overall offense #22, rushing #2, passing #32
    --Overall defense #4, rushing #10, passing #6
    Weaknesses: Their passing offense (except for one game) is terrible. They've looked good at home the past few weeks but, again, one-dimensional offenses will struggle when it counts. We played them with our 3rd-string QB and made a game of it until mid-way through the 4th quarter. I'd like a shot at avenging that loss.

Miami:
    --Overall offense #28, rushing #17, passing #29
    --Overall defense #11, rushing #3, passing #3
    Weaknesses: Their offense is downright offensive for a contender. Ricky Williams does not look the same this year. He's decent but doesn't particularly scare me. Neither Fielder or Griese will lead this team too far into the playoffs. We don't play them but I feel confident that we'd take them

Cincinatti:
    --Overall offense #9, rushing #14, passing #11
    --Overall defense #28, rushing #24, passing #7
    Weaknesses: Defense, rushing in particular. We overcame 3 interceptions against them because they couldn't stop the run. Despite Dillon, their rushing offense is just middling. They're a better team but still not ready for primetime.

Denver is the only team here to rank in the top 10 in BOTH offense and defense (#7 and #3, respectively). If not for our injuries, especially at QB earlier this year, and our inability to avoid emotional letdowns after big games, we might be the best team in the league. But there's still time and still hope that we can start playing consistently like we are capable of.

Indy is the team that scares me the most because their strength (#1 passing offense) plays right into our weakness (#24 passing defense).

GO BRONCOS!!!
    New England
    43.59%
    Kansas City
    2.56%
    Indianapolis
    7.69%
    Baltimore
    0.00%
    Tennessee
    2.56%
    Denver
    41.03%
    Miami
    0.00%
    Cincinatti
    2.56%
    Last edited by Javalon; 12-08-2003, 11:04 AM.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

The stats defintely prove that they are one of the better teams, and (squaw fans will argue with this, but who cares they lost) if we had been healthy our record would obviously be better. If we stay on a roll and continue to play well as a team I defintely like our chances in the playoffs. I think they are one of the better all around teams in the league, with special teams being the area of concern.

I just checked something and plummer is averaging 186 yards/game passing, which is actually worse then the team average (193), so I don't think the passing game would be any better if he had been healthy. Obviously the TD/INT ratio would be better, but the YPG would be the same.
    Last edited by rascal; 12-08-2003, 11:13 AM.
    Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

Originally posted by rascal
      The stats defintely prove that they are one of the better teams, and (squaw fans will argue with this, but who cares they lost) if we had been healthy our record would obviously be better. If we stay on a roll and continue to play well as a team I defintely like our chances in the playoffs. I think they are one of the better all around teams in the league, with special teams being the area of concern.
      So, what do you think of our chances against Indy in two weeks? (It's okay for fans to look ahead, as long as the players don't. )

Also, our special teams aren't great but I don't think they're horrible, either. Elam should be fully healed. Knorr isn't the best but he does rank #5 in net average punting; his kickoffs are pretty good, too. The kick coverage is usually decent when not playing Dante Hall. Overall I'd say their not great but not bad.
      ------

Comment

If we can control, nobody can really stop manning, then I defintely like our chances. Their defense is above average, but we have to take advantage of their weak run d. They are good against the pass. I think we will need to control the ball, which means control the clock.

Our pass d will have to have their A game for that one. Dallas Clarke, their rookie phenome at TE is IR so that helps us (one less weapon for manning). Not to say that I want people injured obviously.

Did you see that catch Harrison had against the Titans? INCREDIBLE!!
        Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

To answer the thread topic, right now, I think New England is. I love the Broncos, but as you pointed out in another thread, I feel like we've been a little inconsistent after big wins. After looking at their schedule they have swept the Dolphins, and beaten the Colts, Cowboys, us, Titans, and the Eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange&Blue
            To answer the thread topic, right now, I think New England is. I love the Broncos, but as you pointed out in another thread, I feel like we've been a little inconsistent after big wins. After looking at their schedule they have swept the Dolphins, and beaten the Colts, Cowboys, us, Titans, and the Eagles.
            The Pats do seem to be the hottest team in the AFC right now. But are they the best? Who do you think would win in a rematch now that we have Jake back?

Despite our records, my money would be on the Broncos. I worry more about playing Indy, not because they're better than the Pats but because they match up better against us.
            ------

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
              The Pats do seem to be the hottest team in the AFC right now. But are they the best? Who do you think would win in a rematch now that we have Jake back?

Despite our records, my money would be on the Broncos. I worry more about playing Indy, not because they're better than the Pats but because they match up better against us.
              I think we could definitely beat NE and the Colts do scare me more than the Pats too. But I still remember the Bears game where we looked sorry though. Depending on how we play next week against the Browns I might change my mind but as of today I put NE as the best.

Comment

I wuld have to say Indy.........I think they have been the most consistant this year. To me NE is on a hot streak, and streaks always end. You can't be a SB contender without a running game. KC, I dont think they are as good as their record but they are more well-rounded. I still feel we are way to injured to make a run to the SB but I wouldnt mind upsetting a team or two trying Cinnci and Miami arent even worth talking about, IMHO

And as far as us playing Indy in two weeks, I am a little nervous, our pass defense is horrid (which I have been saying all year) and they just may light it up against us. BUT thats why they play the game.....any given Sunday......and all the rest of the BS

Comment

Maybe NE is on a streak, but it's one hell of one. Their last loss was in week 4. They've had 9 wins in a row.

I'm nervous for the Indy game too. I'm still not impressed by our pass D.

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420
                    I wuld have to say Indy.........I think they have been the most consistant this year. To me NE is on a hot streak, and streaks always end. You can't be a SB contender without a running game. KC, I dont think they are as good as their record but they are more well-rounded. I still feel we are way to injured to make a run to the SB but I wouldnt mind upsetting a team or two trying Cinnci and Miami arent even worth talking about, IMHO

And as far as us playing Indy in two weeks, I am a little nervous, our pass defense is horrid (which I have been saying all year) and they just may light it up against us. BUT thats why they play the game.....any given Sunday......and all the rest of the BS
                    You say NE is on a hot streak. I'd say 9 wins in a row is a bit more of a hot streak, I'd say it is downright dominant. Belichik has that D playing unbelievable.

As for the Colts, their offense isn't as super as everybody thinks. Yesterdays win was more about special teams than Peyton. Their O can be stopped by our very stellar D, and our offense is starting to kick it inot gear just in time.

As of today best in the AFC has to be NE, but thats today see me in 3 weeks.
                    Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

It's just IMHO, but every streak comes to an end (ask the Chiefs) and going into the playoffs on such a long winning streak could be detremental more than helpful. And again, it's just my opinion (also, for some odd reason, I just dont like New England, go figure cause I was born and raised in CT) I just dont like em, and its hard for me to show them props, ya know.

Comment

This is a little off topic but you know what I've just realized? We've had at least one dominant performance against all the other AFC West teams this year:

Chargers:
                        37-13(week 2)
                        37-8(week 11)

Raiders:
                        31-10(week 3)

Chiefs:
                        45-27(week 14)

Not important info, but interesting.

Comment

Is this another atempt to salvage your season.New egland is way better then horse CR*P!1

Comment

Originally posted by PackerPride
                            Is this another atempt to salvage your season.New egland is way better then horse CR*P!1
                            Maybe you should attempt to salvage your spelling.

I hear that community colleges are doing wonders these days.
                            Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Broncos are way better than

Originally posted by PackerPride
                              your Packers as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X