No announcement yet.

Class of the AFC? (and discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Class of the AFC? (and discussion)

Originally posted by tahuya man
    Is anyone clearly better? Yes. New England, Indy and Tennesse are clearly better.
    Only judging by the records. And I'm sure you'll point out that that is the most important stat. And it is. But not when the playoffs hit, the regular season records don't mean jack.

Again, Denver is the only AFC team that ranks in the top 10 in the NFL in both offense and defense. Our injuries have healed the best they are going to (but a few guys are gone for good).

I think the Pats are the best overall team, and the hottest, but I think the Broncos match up well with them. The Colts look to be #2 and their passing game could give the Broncos fits but I don't think they're necessarily better. And I really think we'd take out the Titans.

Then again, tahuya man, I wouldn't expect any concessions from you toward the Broncos or to have you back up your statement with a substantial argument.
    Last edited by Javalon; 12-08-2003, 02:37 PM.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I too think that new England is the team to beat right now. I'm lovin the Broncos and pushin for 'em each week, but the inconsistency worries me. We've battled with sub par teams this year and put a whupping on better teams. I just don't get it.

The Cleveland game will be another example of a weak team that we CANNOT underestimate. We'll see what happens this weekend.

I truly think we will beat the Packers... not handedly.. but we will win. Brett is looking pretty unconsistent himself and I think he re injured his thumb this week.

I'm sweating the Indy game the most. At the very least, we got to see some of how they play during pre season. Hopefully that will help.

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
      ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

Substantial arguement? Well, New England does have the better won/ loss record and did beat the Broncos head to head. The other teams I mentioned also posess the better won/ loss record. You are right, that is the only stat that really matters. It does mean something in the post season because it determines who has home field advantage on any given game. As Mike Ditka said once, "stats are for losers". I'm sure you think that the Broncos can beat the Titans, but that's just your feelings for your home team talking.
        Yes, the record determines where you play in the postseason. But the Broncos proved just a few years ago that even wildcards can go to and win the Super Bowl.

And I think the Broncos would beat the Titans because I feel they're about as real as the Kansas City Chiefs. Smoke and mirrors. And too much of their team relies on one guy who is always hurt.

By the way, my statement was not intended to say that I thought the Broncos are going to win the Super Bowl. I just don't believe there is a single team that is clearly better than the rest, including the Broncos. The Pats are hot but we almost beat them (should have) despite starting Danny Kanell. Not to mention that we've had their number in recent history.
        ------

Comment

almost and should have? Well, you didn't. The Pats had some injury problems on their defense then too. What was the reason for the home loss to Chicago? That was a should've could've situation too.
          The loss to Chicago was the same problem they've had after every big, emotional game they've had this year. They come out flat the following week against a weak opponent.

It's a problem. And we'll see if they can fix it next week against the Browns.
          ------

Comment

"there are 3 types of lies: lies, da*n lies and statistics"

as much as i enjoy looking at stats, i think comparing the 2 denver-kc games shows the problems with taking too much from statistics. looking at stats alone, i'd have expected the first game to be a big denver win and the second to be closer. obviously we tore them up on the ground on both sides of the ball (priest who?). but they did put up 397 passing yards. it is interesting to me how stats sometimes don't seem to line up with the score.

anyways, stats aside, this game showed that if we shore up our pass D we can beat anyone out there pretty easily
            sigpic
            go broncos
            share the sidewalk
            liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Originally posted by mattos
              "there are 3 types of lies: lies, da*n lies and statistics"

as much as i enjoy looking at stats, i think comparing the 2 denver-kc games shows the problems with taking too much from statistics. looking at stats alone, i'd have expected the first game to be a big denver win and the second to be closer. obviously we tore them up on the ground on both sides of the ball (priest who?). but they did put up 397 passing yards. it is interesting to me how stats sometimes don't seem to line up with the score.

anyways, stats aside, this game showed that if we shore up our pass D we can beat anyone out there pretty easily
              Well, the first half stats indicated the Chiefs should have had a slight lead, which they did. Of the Chiefs' 214 second half yards, about 140 of them came on their last 2 desperation drives.

Was I the only one frustrated by the Broncos lack of blitzes in the first half? Green killed us when we just rushed 4 guys because the Chiefs' O-line is so good. We blitzed more in the second half and got there just enough to make Green speed up his delivery. I know blitzes are a double-edged sword but you've got to get pressure on the opposing QB somehow.
              ------

Comment

I'd be more worried about the Packers and the Colts back to back. The Browns will get beat up pretty bad tonight. They're prove tonight that they'll possibly the worst team in the NFL.
                I am more worried about those two games. But, as I mentioned, the Broncos emotional letdowns against bad teams has been frustrating this season. They play too much to the level (real or perceived) of their competition.
                ------

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                  Of the Chiefs' 214 second half yards, about 140 of them came on their last 2 desperation drives.
                  i was wondering about that. i couldn't see the actual game, were we running a prevent D?
                  sigpic
                  go broncos
                  share the sidewalk
                  liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Originally posted by mattos
                    i was wondering about that. i couldn't see the actual game, were we running a prevent D?
                    Pretty much, a dime package at the very least. Plus we were already subtituting a lot of backups. Didn't you see Al Wilson and some of the other starters pulling off the pads while the Chiefs (except Holmes) were still out there trying to score?

I was surprised that Vermeil didn't pull more of his starters, especially Trent Green. That would've been horrible for them if he'd gotten hurt in garbage time.
                    ------

Comment

Originally posted by NOLABroncofan
                      I too think that new England is the team to beat right now. I'm lovin the Broncos and pushin for 'em each week, but the inconsistency worries me. We've battled with sub par teams this year and put a whupping on better teams. I just don't get it.

With all due respect, what are you smokin', my friend? "We've battled with sub par teams this year and put a whupping on better teams."????? Are you crappin' me?

The EXACT opposite is true!!! The Broncos have won against all of the sub .500 teams they played, with one exception and have lost to all of the over .500 teams, with one exception.

What does that say? That the Broncos are an average team.

Comment

Too early to tell. The final three weeks will be telling.

Every team, with the exception of New England, has shown a few warts now and then.

Indianapolis is the one team that's shown me they're never out of a game, no matter how far they fall behind, but if they pull that in the playoffs, they'll be in trouble.

New England ... the only word I can use for them is solid.

Denver has as good of a shot as anyone ... depends on which team shows up. If they make the playoffs, I doubt they'd pull a stunt like they did against Chicago. If they play like they did against KC, watch out.

Tennessee, like New England, just seems solid and just tough to beat.

Kansas City's Super Bowl Bandwagon has been heading south for the last 3-4 weeks. At least they are painfully aware of their weaknesses now. Someone needs to remind them to TACKLE the guy with the ball and say the heck with the big hit.

Baltimore & Cincinnati ... I don't know what to do with them. It's hard to believe they'd be serious contenders in the playoffs, but Baltimore's defense keeps them in every game, and every time I look up, they've got 30 points on the board. Cincy is on the come but not quite there yet.

Miami ... don't think they'll get in.

In short ... I haven't a clue.
                        Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

Comment

Working...
                        X