RIP Pete Duranko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Pete Duranko

I expected to see this posted already. Former Bronco Pete Duranko passed away.

http://www.dailyamerican.com/da-ot-p...,1079620.story
    sigpic

Yeah. I was a bit surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier. Props to you. Many of us oldsters remember that Notre Dame All-Americans didn't choose to go to Denver back in the late sixties. Duranko picked Denver and was solid for the Broncos as they tried to become more competitive. His pedigree, like that of Floyd Little, gave the Broncos credibility at a time it was sorely needed. God Bless you Pete, and thank you!

Comment

requiescat in pace

Pete Duranko was a member of the most fearsome defensive lines the Broncos have ever had. In a time when there was no consistent QB or anything resembling quarterbacking, and Floyd Little was the offense; Billy Thompson was the star on defense; the DL was the only complete unit without flaws.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Pete Duranko was a member of the most fearsome defensive lines the Broncos have ever had. In a time when there was no consistent QB or anything resembling quarterbacking, and Floyd Little was the offense; Billy Thompson was the star on defense; the DL was the only complete unit without flaws.
        Absolutely. Pete Duranko, Rich Jackson, Dave Costa and Paul Smith. We've had some great D Linemen over the years, but was there ever a better DL than that group?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
          Absolutely. Pete Duranko, Rich Jackson, Dave Costa and Paul Smith. We've had some great D Linemen over the years, but was there ever a better DL than that group?
          I would say the best DL was when Alzado replaced Duranko and Pete was coming off the bench. Wasn't John Grant a decent backup DL on that team also?

And the only DL in Bronco history that I would even try to compare would be the Orange Crush 3-4 line of Rulon Jones, Rubin Carter and Barney Chavous...But I'd still say the Jackson, Costa, Smith and Alzado/Duranko DL was even better.

RIP Pete.

Comment

You guys are too right!

1967 was Pete Duranko's rookie year. His last season as a Bronco was 1974.

His teammates on the DL included: Rex Mirich (1967-69); Jerry Inman (1966-73); Dave Costa (1967-71); Rich Jackson (1967-72); Paul Smith (1968-78); Walt Barnes (1969-71); Lyle Alzado (1971-78); Lloyd Voss (1972); Tom Domres (1971-72); and, John Grant (1973-79)

That's eleven guys who played most of the snaps on the DL over the course of eight football seasons. It was also a group who would hit you ... hard.

If we end up with a group that hits half as hard as these guys, we'll be in good shape on D. :thumb:
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

R.I.P. Pete, he was from right here in my hometown of johnstown.
              sigpic

Comment

Sad news. I have family in Johnstown, and my Grandpa actually introduced me to Pete a couple of times. He was a great guy.
                sigpic

Check out my NFL Draft website!

Comment

Paul Smith, Pete Duranko, Rich 'Tombstone' Jackson, wow. Along with Floyd Little on offense, a solid foundation was in place, but Lou Saban could just never close the deal.

Comment

That's eleven guys who played most of the snaps on the DL over the course of eight football seasons. It was also a group who would hit you ... hard.
                    Sigh ... I miss those days! The No Fun League has taken most of that out of the game. Can you imagine the fines Alzado would get in today's NFL?

RIP Pete!

Comment

My prayers are with his family.
                      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X