No announcement yet.

EVEN McDaniels realized Moreno was a bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Mcdaniels really believed that, it just makes trading Hillis that much more idiotic.

I am absolutely baffled as to why you would trade Hillis if you realized Moreno wasn't the RB you thought you were drafting?
    sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

IMO Moreno is a 1part pro, let me explain being a pro athlete takes 2 parts. The 1st part is what we see on the field, and the second part is what you do leading up to that. Moreno came to play every Sunday, there were some days where he looked to be the only guy that gave a damn. However from what I've seen and read (again I don't have the whole story) he doesnt appear to have that second part, he reportedly blew off calls from TD and from what I gather hasn't attended the offseason workouts. In order to be that stud you need both parts, maybe it was due to McD maybe not, this season will tell a lot, but he's not off to a good start IMO
      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
      I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
        IMO Moreno is a 1part pro, let me explain being a pro athlete takes 2 parts. The 1st part is what we see on the field, and the second part is what you do leading up to that. Moreno came to play every Sunday, there were some days where he looked to be the only guy that gave a damn. However from what I've seen and read (again I don't have the whole story) he doesnt appear to have that second part, he reportedly blew off calls from TD and from what I gather hasn't attended the offseason workouts. In order to be that stud you need both parts, maybe it was due to McD maybe not, this season will tell a lot, but he's not off to a good start IMO
        Well, if he hasn't worked hard the last 4 months... ad thought the lockout was an excuse to screw around... Then it's safe to say he'll be injured the first few weeks in camp.

Comment

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-before-long/
          Decimating the competition, leaving in the wake a blind ambition.

elecshoc
          You will be for ever known as the truth see-er

Comment

I don't want to mercilessly trash Moreno here before the season starts just to see him become a force later with John Fox. But the article brought two things that Moeno lacks, in my opinion: intelligence and motivation. I won't question his toughness because you must be a tough guy to play RB in the NFL.

I know that a RB does not have to be a NASA scientist. But Moreno does not look like a smart guy. He was recently interviewed by fans during a Reebok event and such impression grew stronger. And it shows on the field. He is not a good blocker, missing his assignments. Orton almost got killed multiple times.

Maybe that's part of the reason why he is not what McDaniels thought. Too many mental mistakes. Maybe he struggled to learn the plays in a complex system and it was hard to coach him.

For the ZBS, I also think he is not a great fit at this point. There is no patience and not enough vision to find the best lane. But that's something that can be improved with practice.

His motivation is also a question mark to me. During the Reebok event, Moreno made it look like he is not doing much during the lockout to get ready for the season. The guy showed no interest in speaking to Terrell Davis to learn something. Conditioning is an issue. Moreno is out of breath after the first play and he leaves the field a lot to get some rest.

If McDaniels and his staff thought Moreno was not smart or motivated, I can totally understand that. He plays hard during the game, so I think he has some toughness, but his physical and mental preparation... I have my doubts.

sigpic

Comment

This also all goes back to shopping Cutler. Thats right, I said it.

Anyone can see that Moreno has real promise. He has shown real strengths and I happen to think he can really be good. He hasnt done anything that should make anyone believe he is a flat out bust.

This all ties to Mcdaniels though, and he has that stink all over him. Broncos fans get something locked in and wont let it go.

He is a good receiver out of the back field. I think if given a chance, and healthy he would be one heck of a back for what this team wants to do.

I say just go ahead and cut every single player that is linked to Mcdaniels. I think Broncos fans ought to convince themselves that Shanahan trading up for Cutler, instead of drafting Ngata like I wanted in 2006 was a good thing.

I think you all ought to continue to convince yourselves that this organization never did anything shady with Shanahan.

Comment

Originally posted by thenewera44 View Post
                This also all goes back to shopping Cutler. Thats right, I said it.

Anyone can see that Moreno has real promise. He has shown real strengths and I happen to think he can really be good. He hasnt done anything that should make anyone believe he is a flat out bust.

This all ties to Mcdaniels though, and he has that stink all over him. Broncos fans get something locked in and wont let it go.

He is a good receiver out of the back field. I think if given a chance, and healthy he would be one heck of a back for what this team wants to do.

I say just go ahead and cut every single player that is linked to Mcdaniels. I think Broncos fans ought to convince themselves that Shanahan trading up for Cutler, instead of drafting Ngata like I wanted in 2006 was a good thing.

I think you all ought to continue to convince yourselves that this organization never did anything shady with Shanahan.
                I agree to an extent, but I've also heard rumblings lately - listening to cecil lammey on the ticket - that a source from Dove Valley says Moreno lacks good work ethic. True? I'm not sure... but it does concern me if it's true.

I hope it's not true because I like Moreno and I think he has suffered from injuries, bad coaching, and a lack of consistent touches. I hope he emerges this year because The Broncos would definitely benefit from it, but I do have my doubts.
                sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

A team determines bust status shortly after drafting 1st round picks?

Unless his name is Ryan Leaf, that's nearly impossible for me to believe.....
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
                    I agree to an extent, but I've also heard rumblings lately - listening to cecil lammey on the ticket - that a source from Dove Valley says Moreno lacks good work ethic. True? I'm not sure... but it does concern me if it's true.

I hope it's not true because I like Moreno and I think he has suffered from injuries, bad coaching, and a lack of consistent touches. I hope he emerges this year because The Broncos would definitely benefit from it, but I do have my doubts.
                    He suffered from bad coaching? Oh,just as I thought. Mcdaniels. He shopped poopy pants around.

Bobby Turner was his coach in 2009, and Mcdaniels is actually a decent offensive coach.

Yeah, he is. Hence, him being hired nearly right away.

Like I said. He stood no chance here. Nobody did.

Never stood a chance from the time fans learned the the supposed next 'Elway' was being shopped. That goes for sports writers, local radio personalities.

I think I would develop a bad attitude also. Hell, crazy Bronco fans gave Elway a complex.

Comment

Originally posted by thenewera44 View Post
                      He suffered from bad coaching? Oh,just as I thought. Mcdaniels. He shopped poopy pants around.

Bobby Turner was his coach in 2009, and Mcdaniels is actually a decent offensive coach.

Yeah, he is. Hence, him being hired nearly right away.

Like I said. He stood no chance here. Nobody did.

Never stood a chance from the time fans learned the the supposed next 'Elway' was being shopped. That goes for sports writers, local radio personalities.

I think I would develop a bad attitude also. Hell, crazy Bronco fans gave Elway a complex.
                      The Mcdaniels led offense had a lack of identity. Even when Moreno was beasting it up, we would stop running the ball and keep throwing, even when it wasn't working.

The Running game fell off since Mcdaniels took over here, and yes a lot of that was X's & O'S. I'm not going to sit here and argue about it, the numbers speak for themselves. This team didn't consistently have a running game and it didn't matter who was touching the ball, you can blame that on coaching.
                      sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

The Mcdaniels led offense had a lack of identity. Even when Moreno was beasting it up, we would stop running the ball and keep throwing, even when it wasn't working.

The Running game fell off since Mcdaniels took over here, and yes a lot of that was X's & O'S. I'm not going to sit here and argue about it, the numbers speak for themselves. This team didn't consistently have a running game and it didn't matter who was touching the ball, you can blame that on coaching.
                        A lot like the 2008 offense with poopy pants and Shanahan.

They were #2 in offense, but #16 in scoring.

Went from averaging over 34 points per game in the first 3 to 19.6 in the last 13. They only averaged 15.5 points per game in their 8 losses.

Cutler was only sacked 11 times in 616 attempts. Had great WRs and still led the NFL in red zone picks.

Along with a bad attitude that noone really knew about.

I know, I know 7 RBs. Got it.

Broncos last year had no injuries on offense. That is except for Moreno and Lendale White etc etc etc. Oh, and Clady being at around 80%. Yeah, except for them.

Comment

Perhaps it's because they didn't understand how to utilize a running game?

How many running backs did we sign who struggled in our system? The problem may be greater than just Moreno. Don't toss him out just yet.

That being said, I don't think he'll ever become a truly reliable runner. That doesn't mean he's a bust, that just means he's not going to be a star. Would I have given a 12th for him? No.
                          Last edited by Fargo; 07-16-2011, 11:44 AM.
                          Brock you like a hurricane!
                          sigpic
                          Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

Why does anyone who supports McDaniels still to this day always do it by saying "BUT BUT BUT>>> SHANAHAN!"

What does Shanahan have to do with anything here?

McDaniels had horrible interpersonal skills. He didn't get along with many people. I take anything he says about 'locker room problems' with a grain of salt.

Moreno is one of the things that I really hope still that McDaniels did right. Time will tell though.
                            Thanks, Reid!
                            sigpic
                            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

If Mcdaniels really believed that, it just makes trading Hillis that much more idiotic.

I am absolutely baffled as to why you would trade Hillis if you realized Moreno wasn't the RB you thought you were drafting?
                              Right. If Knowshon is a wimp, then what the hell was Hillis when he got rid of him. And a comment like that supposedly coming from a guy like McDaniels makes me wonder.

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post

For the ZBS, I also think he is not a great fit at this point. There is no patience and not enough vision to find the best lane. But that's something that can be improved with practice.

I somewhat agree. In the ZBS, it's one cut and go. Knowshon doesn't exactly get up field in a hurry. If he's more decisive, I think it will be a nice fit. I still think he has the ability to be very good. It's up to him to prove all of the doubters wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                                Why does anyone who supports McDaniels still to this day always do it by saying "BUT BUT BUT>>> SHANAHAN!"

What does Shanahan have to do with anything here?

McDaniels had horrible interpersonal skills. He didn't get along with many people. I take anything he says about 'locker room problems' with a grain of salt.

Moreno is one of the things that I really hope still that McDaniels did right. Time will tell though.
                                Just that people seem to have problems with this offense that wasnt that bad last year.

I point out the ineptitude that existed since 2006. Not 2009.

You want to trace the line back to when things started going bad here? Look no further than trading up get Cutler. Look no further than Shanahan abandoning his balanced offense, in order to placate his guy (Cutler.) Really and truly Plummer had just come off his best season as a pro. He made the pro bowl. He only threw 7 picks, and he operated the west coast system pretty well.

Shanahan didnt keep Pryce, and for what ever reason took a dagger to the confidence that Plummer had built up, who had just completed his 3rd straight 10 win play off season and a 13-3 record with a win over the Pats.

This team has been an utter embarrassment since.

I should mention 5 DCs in 5 years (3 under Shanahan) culminating into Slowik.

This is what the dislike for Moreno has to do with. It is a link to Mcdaniels and many Broncos fans wont let it go. That includes Tebow. Unless he thrives, it will be more of the same. Every single int will be met with a "thanks Josh" comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X