Von Miller's Contract Expected To Be 4-Year 20 Million, 10 Million Guaranteed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Boulware / Von Miller

I was searching for more examples of 4-3 OLBs that played a pass rushing role for their teams like Brian Orakpo in 2009. Julian Peterson (Seahawks) has already been mentioned, with his 24.5 sacks in 3 seasons (2006-2008).

Then I found this video:

2000 Ravens. 4-3 defense. LBs: Jamie Sharper, Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware. Ozzie Newsome said Boulware was the pass rusher.

As a junior, Boulware led the NCAA in sacks (19). He skipped his senior season and was drafted 4th overall by the Ravens in 1997. Rookie season: 11.5 sacks and DROY award. 67.5 sacks in 7 seasons.

That 2000 Ravens defense shows what the Broncos should have at DT to help the LBs, especially the MLB. They had two huge DTs. Tony Siragusa (6'3 340) and Sam Adams (6'3 350).
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
      no one knew who Vonn miller was until about a month before the draft. That is what makes me nervous about him. I think people have fallen more in love with his highlights than his actual footage
      Miller led the NCAA in sacks back in 2009. Then won the Butkus Award in 2010. No one knew about him? Brian Xanders and Matt Russell were interested in Von Miller since 2010.

Freshman All-Big 12 (2007)
      2× First-team All-America honors (2009, 2010)
      2× First-team All-Big 12 honors (2009, 2010)
      Butkus Award (2010)
      sigpic

Comment

So dont pay them huge contracts...That simple. You dont need a rookie cap. No such thing as overpaid. You are worth exactly what you are getting paid. You are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay you
        I agree with this up to a certain extent. You are worth what someone is willing to pay you, but I think this an organized way of collectively deciding what they are worth thus making the signing of players easier.

The owners aren't signing these rookies in a vacuum and whatever the last player got is going to affect those in contract talks no matter what team they are on. The only players this is bad for are flakes like JR who don't produce when they get paid on the front end.
        “4th quarter comebacks means a guy screwed up in the first three quarters.” ~Peyton

Comment

Good news rookie wage scale is LONG past due.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            This isn't true at all. 2x first team all american and he won the butkus award last year. not to mention as a junior he had 17.5 sacks and 21 tfl. A lot of people who follow the draft knew who he is or at least should have.
            Thats great...Those are his stats.......But my point is that less than 1/4 of his fans on here have seen one of his games. So no one has actually seen him play. I would bet . Stats only tell half the story
            Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
              Miller led the NCAA in sacks back in 2009. Then won the Butkus Award in 2010. No one knew about him? Brian Xanders and Matt Russell were interested in Von Miller since 2010.

Butkus Award (2010)
              Again.....That is great those are stats......what I am saying is i bet very few on here have ever seen him play. Stats only tell half the story. It makes me nervious that he really wasnt talked about very much until days before the draft. No one knew about him, and few cared about him until the pick was obvious....To me that makes me nervious. But we will see. I feel better about him as a pick than any since clady
              Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Who cares if WE haven't seen him play? Personally, I have. But apparently EFX saw enough of him to draft him #2 overall. It's not like Bowlen is calling up the fans and asking if they saw enough of Miller to justify drafting him. He was talked about a lot by scouts before the draft.
                Last edited by Amari24; 07-19-2011, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Butkus Award (2010)
                  I kinda understand what japfaff is getting at. Von Miller was the fastest rising player in the draft this year after the NCAA season ended. Before the senior bowl, there were questions about whether he was even a first round talent. He did well in pass rush drills at the senior bowl (even though he was one of the worst at shedding blocks from RBs in blitz pickup drills) and by the end of the game Mike Mayock was saying that he'd "firmly cemented his position as a first round talent". I don't know about you, but there's a huge leap from someone who should be taken in the 1st round and someone who should be the #2 OVERALL PICK.

It wasn't until a great showing at the combine that Mayock firmly attached himself to Miller's short hairs and started saying he was a "top 10 talent". He started throwing out the draft catch phrases like "explosion" and "body lean" and the rest of the media and the fans just ate it up. Once again, top 10 doesn't necessarily mean #2 overall worthy.

After private workouts and pro-days, Miller continued to impress and the hype machine was in full force. With questions surfacing about Bowers' knee, Quinn's brain tumor, and Fairley's character, and the lack of confidence in the talent of the QB class, Miller vaulted into the top 5 through very little credit of his own. Because of questions about Bowers and Quinn (and the fact that everyone is infatuated with Clay Matthews right now), Miller became the #1 pass-rusher prospect (as a 3-4 OLB, mind you) and that's why he ended by in the top 5.

For me, Miller looks like a talented, hardworking leader that hopefully will be a productive Bronco for a long time, but I just can't buy into the hype of this guy, especially how we plan to use him (4-3 OLB primarily). We'll see. I hope I'm wrong, but I see a lot more Aaron Curry than Derrick Thomas in Miller. As a pass rusher, Miller may have been worth the #2 overall pick but as a 4-3 SAM LB, I just don't see him having enough of an impact to have been worth #2 overall. He'd pretty much have to be the next Lavar Arrington (without the injuries) to live up to it. That's a lot to ask...
                  Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 07-19-2011, 06:00 AM.

Comment

I understand that......But I dont think the owners should be bailed out. There is nothing wrong with a guy getting as much money as they can. It is up to the owners to keep the wages down. Like I said I have never been a fan of it. Having no holdouts will be nice, but I just think that it is fundamentally wrong limiting the amount of money a player can make....especially when the avg players shelf life is so short
                    I understand the basis of the argument and it makes sense. The only thing about it is it does not take into account on thing : every year agents took the last year of contracts givent out and applied some kind of an actualisation % just because.

Dont get me wrong some owners are responsible for overpaying players first but it got out of hand (top say the least) quickly when the players agents saw the hole and made their own 'pay scale' and started the negociations based upon what was given out the preceding year. If the teams would not listen, the player would holdout. Thats what I think sucked the most about the last system, it gave the power to the agents and unproven rookies (look at Crabtree, I'll use him instead of Jamabust Russel).

What the scale provide could be viewed as the owners being bailed out but I rather see it as a saftey valve for the league and the level of financial competition. now neither side can jump over the scale for any reason (owners and players). So I one theam makes a bad move by picking up a bust it is not tied to a huge contract hamperinf the F/A capabilities.

I am really happy to see the scale happen (especially this year, I was nervous about a 65mil-35 garanteed contract for a rookie Sam LB...)
                    Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7

Adopted Broncos:
                    -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

2000 Ravens. 4-3 defense. LBs: Jamie Sharper, Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware. Ozzie Newsome said Boulware was the pass rusher.

As a junior, Boulware led the NCAA in sacks (19). He skipped his senior season and was drafted 4th overall by the Ravens in 1997. Rookie season: 11.5 sacks and DROY award. 67.5 sacks in 7 seasons.

That 2000 Ravens defense shows what the Broncos should have at DT to help the LBs, especially the MLB. They had two huge DTs. Tony Siragusa (6'3 340) and Sam Adams (6'3 350).
                      For the life of me, I will never comprehend why Shanny moved from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with the Skins after the 2009 season. They were 10th in defense (7th against the pass) and had Orakpo playing SLB and finishing with 11 sacks.
                      Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

:thumb::thumb: Love the Rookie Wage Scale or Salary cap or whatever it is going to be called.

Multiple posters listed the reasons I like it, CP to them if I can give it to them again.
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Yes, Von Miller was a fast riser. But he was generating some buzz as a top 10 talent before the Senior Bowl.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6500/von-miller

According to CBS draft analyst Rob Rang, Texas A&M OLB Von Miller and Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara are the only senior draft-eligibles with realistic chances to be top-ten picks in April.

Other top seniors include Cal DE Cameron Jordan and Iowa DLs Adrian Clayborn and Christian Ballard, but they're mid to late first-round types. According to Rang, not a single senior tailback is likely to go in the top two rounds, and Mike Mayock believes that no senior wide receiver will be a first-round pick. We've counted 53 underclassmen who've declared for the draft.

Jan 15, 1:30 PM
                          According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, "early signs" are that Texas A&M OLB Von Miller will be a top-five pick.

Added NFL Network's Mike Mayock, "He's got top-ten pass rush skills." Miller has also shown impressive cover ability in Senior Bowl practices. This April, the Panthers draft first, the Broncos draft second, the Bills third, Bengals fourth, and Cardinals fifth. It's not crazy to think Miller could be drafted by Buffalo, and at this point seems unlikely he'd get by Arizona.

Jan 26, 6:27 PM
                          If you follow the NCAA, you know who led the nation in sacks in 2009 and was voted the best LB in 2010.

I believe Broncos fans that don't follow the NCAA closely ignored news about Von Miller for a while because they had their sights on a DT.

Before the Combine and Pro Day, when you get a better feeling of where a prospect might be selected, the draft analysts threw a lot of names into the 1st round.

Even though Miller was a fast riser, I don't think he was the biggest riser. I would give the title to one of the QBs. Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder.

Gabbert never proved anything that set him apart in college. Locker and Ponder were considered late 1st round picks at best. These two were the "shocking picks" in the top 12.
                          sigpic

Comment

I was searching for more examples of 4-3 OLBs that played a pass rushing role for their teams like Brian Orakpo in 2009. Julian Peterson (Seahawks) has already been mentioned, with his 24.5 sacks in 3 seasons (2006-2008).

Then I found this video:

Derrick Thomas played in a 4-3 and got 10+ sacks twice. His best years were in the 3-4 though (20 sacks was in a 3-4).

Saw or read a comment from Fox before we even drafted Von then he was thinking of using some kind of hybrid defense. Would not be surprised to see us use some kind of funky defense that makes use of all of our best players' strengths.
                            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                              For the life of me, I will never comprehend why Shanny moved from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with the Skins after the 2009 season. They were 10th in defense (7th against the pass) and had Orakpo playing SLB and finishing with 11 sacks.
                              Brian Orakpo - Albert Haynesworth - Jarvis Jenkins - Ryan Kerrigan

This could be the Redskins 4-man front. What a waste.

Or Kerrigan - Haynesworth - Jenkins - Carriker with Orakpo as a rush LB

Not to mention that a 4-3 defense would have kept Andre Carter productive in 2010 and Adam Carriker could return to his college weight and be a powerful 4-3 LDE at 6-6 295 (similar to JJ Watt).
                              sigpic

Comment

Thats great...Those are his stats.......But my point is that less than 1/4 of his fans on here have seen one of his games. So no one has actually seen him play. I would bet . Stats only tell half the story
                                I'll tell you what, as a Nebraska fan, we saw Texas A&m quite often and von miller can disrupte a running offense (and that isn't his forte, according to espn). Go watch Taylor Martinez (bum ankle, but still quick) or Rex Burkhead try to get around him. Von Miller is going to be good, and plus he's already selected; can't change the past... cheer for the guy. Also, with this new rookie wage scale, I think there will be less busts in the league year in and year out because these guys are still going to be playing for the huge contract 4 or 5 yrs down the road. Giving a 22yr old 60 mill, in my opinion, isn't a good investment, unless its a peyton manning/suh caliber player

Comment

Working...
                                X