X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BluenOrnge4Life
    replied
    Originally posted by Javalon View Post
    It's true that the owners were basically saving themselves from their own stupidity... the top pick salaries was a mess mostly of their own making.

That being said, I believe it needed to be done. These top picks will still get paid handsomely for a job they haven't proved they can do on a professional level. There will now be more money paid to the players that have actually proven something.

Using a similar comparison to someone earlier in the thread... If a person graduates medical school, he's not going to get a contract better than 99% of the doctors who have proven themselves. And he's definitely not going to get 80% of that money guaranteed, regardless of whether or not he half-asses it and screws up numerous surgeries.

Yes, the owners were mostly at fault. But that doesn't mean this wasn't a problem in need of fixing. At considering there was good amount of support from the players who HAD proven themselves, I don't see how this hurts anyone. The good draftees will still get paid well, the flops will still come away with far more than they deserve, and the vets will end up with more money overall. And the teams that screwed up by drafting the flops won't be royally screwed in terms of the salary cap for years (although it will still hurt).
    Great post, I couldn't agree more.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by japfaff View Post
    Exactly and he wasnt restricted......It is just wrong to restrict a persons earning potential just cause an owner is stupid enough to overpay them so much
    It's true that the owners were basically saving themselves from their own stupidity... the top pick salaries was a mess mostly of their own making.

That being said, I believe it needed to be done. These top picks will still get paid handsomely for a job they haven't proved they can do on a professional level. There will now be more money paid to the players that have actually proven something.

Using a similar comparison to someone earlier in the thread... If a person graduates medical school, he's not going to get a contract better than 99% of the doctors who have proven themselves. And he's definitely not going to get 80% of that money guaranteed, regardless of whether or not he half-asses it and screws up numerous surgeries.

Yes, the owners were mostly at fault. But that doesn't mean this wasn't a problem in need of fixing. At considering there was good amount of support from the players who HAD proven themselves, I don't see how this hurts anyone. The good draftees will still get paid well, the flops will still come away with far more than they deserve, and the vets will end up with more money overall. And the teams that screwed up by drafting the flops won't be royally screwed in terms of the salary cap for years (although it will still hurt).

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
    JM got what 60 million SB and 3 years salary? Given the NFL minimum of 500K he got paid for 130 years approximately.
    Exactly and he wasnt restricted......It is just wrong to restrict a persons earning potential just cause an owner is stupid enough to overpay them so much

Leave a comment:

• MHSalute
    replied
    Did Jamarcus Russel get 5 years? No. A team can cut a player the day after they sign them if they choose. There are no guarantees, so to restrict what a player can earn is just wrong
    JM got what 60 million SB and 3 years salary? Given the NFL minimum of 500K he got paid for 130 years approximately.

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    Sure they are. Even the last pick can expect a signing bonus worth more than 5 years min salary.

Would love a job that paid me 5 years salary just for agreeing to possibly make more.
    Did Jamarcus Russel get 5 years? No. A team can cut a player the day after they sign them if they choose. There are no guarantees, so to restrict what a player can earn is just wrong

Leave a comment:

• MHSalute
    replied
    But first rounders aren't guaranteed 5 years either

Sure they are. Even the last pick can expect a signing bonus worth more than 5 years min salary.

Would love a job that paid me 5 years salary just for agreeing to possibly make more.

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    It is not their career unless they are good enough to make it theirs. Should every person who graduates college get a guaranteed 5 year deal in their chosen profession?

The rookie wage scale only really effects the 1st round guys, all other rookies should benefit by being able to get a better contract much sooner.
    But first rounders aren't guaranteed 5 years either

Leave a comment:

• JaysusCutler
    replied
    Sounds like a good deal.

Leave a comment:

• MHSalute
    replied
    Problem with that argument is that half don't make it 4 years, and I would say 90% don't see the third contract. So to limit where they can work and then to limit how much they can make for 1/3 of their careers (if they are lucky) seems really unfair....Don't blame or punish the rookies for the owners being stupid and unwise with their money
    It is not their career unless they are good enough to make it theirs. Should every person who graduates college get a guaranteed 5 year deal in their chosen profession?

The rookie wage scale only really effects the 1st round guys, all other rookies should benefit by being able to get a better contract much sooner.

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    Originally posted by Momentus View Post
    Well, after 4 years they can opt out and after 3 years they can renegotiate. So its not all bad. Just gives the team a 4 year buffer to see if this guy is going to be worth big money or not!
    Problem with that argument is that half don't make it 4 years, and I would say 90% don't see the third contract. So to limit where they can work and then to limit how much they can make for 1/3 of their careers (if they are lucky) seems really unfair....Don't blame or punish the rookies for the owners being stupid and unwise with their money

Leave a comment:

• db1978
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    Derrick Thomas played in a 4-3 and got 10+ sacks twice. His best years were in the 3-4 though (20 sacks was in a 3-4).

Saw or read a comment from Fox before we even drafted Von then he was thinking of using some kind of hybrid defense. Would not be surprised to see us use some kind of funky defense that makes use of all of our best players' strengths.
    Agreed, hopefully our up-and-coming DC and defensive-minded HC can whip our D into shape to looking like the first half of 2009 season (not all that long ago).

It'll be nice to have a pass rush again...here's hoping we can pick up some competent bodies to plug the middle of the D-line and take some pressure off of Doc & Doom.

Leave a comment:

• Momentus
    replied
    But to restrict where they play, then limit what they make....Seems wrong to me.

Well, after 4 years they can opt out and after 3 years they can renegotiate. So its not all bad. Just gives the team a 4 year buffer to see if this guy is going to be worth big money or not!

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueOrange7 View Post
    I'll tell you what, as a Nebraska fan, we saw Texas A&m quite often and von miller can disrupte a running offense (and that isn't his forte, according to espn). Go watch Taylor Martinez (bum ankle, but still quick) or Rex Burkhead try to get around him. Von Miller is going to be good, and plus he's already selected; can't change the past... cheer for the guy. Also, with this new rookie wage scale, I think there will be less busts in the league year in and year out because these guys are still going to be playing for the huge contract 4 or 5 yrs down the road. Giving a 22yr old 60 mill, in my opinion, isn't a good investment, unless its a peyton manning/suh caliber player
    No dont get me wrong I like the pick. I think he is going to be a solid player. But in a lot of ways he just happened to be the flavor of the month. Jarvis Moss, Robert Ayers we have been burned by them before....Not in the mood to have it happen again.

As for the giving a 22 year old 60 mil argument. I agree it is a bad idea.... But IMO it is wrong to not let them earn as much as they can. If he was an accountant he could/would do where ever gave him the best situation (money is always huge in this discussion). Ok I get that you cant have a total free market. But to restrict where they play, then limit what they make....Seems wrong to me. As for the vets...Hey sucks to be them, but that is the career that they chose. In a lot of ways 30+ year old players are like 30+ year old strippers.....You always want the younger ones, but at the last min you will take the broken down one to fill a spot.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    A lot of people haven't seen Miller play because a lot of people like to say he can't cover but he did a good job in coverage when he was a 4-3 OLB his sophomore year and they had him in coverage most of the time. He knows how to do it and he showed that he can still do it at the Senior Bowl. Now he'll have to take his lumps early in the NFL because he won't have much time to adjust to NFL speed, but we will blitz him a lot. He really is a complete LB, had Texas A&M decided to play him in coverage more often the past 2 years teams would see him as a great fit for either a 4-3 or a 3-4 and he would have been considered a top 10 pick by everyone all along. People didn't talk about him on here because a lot of them can't fathom him as a 4-3 OLB.

Leave a comment:

• BlueOrange7
    replied
    Thats great...Those are his stats.......But my point is that less than 1/4 of his fans on here have seen one of his games. So no one has actually seen him play. I would bet . Stats only tell half the story
    I'll tell you what, as a Nebraska fan, we saw Texas A&m quite often and von miller can disrupte a running offense (and that isn't his forte, according to espn). Go watch Taylor Martinez (bum ankle, but still quick) or Rex Burkhead try to get around him. Von Miller is going to be good, and plus he's already selected; can't change the past... cheer for the guy. Also, with this new rookie wage scale, I think there will be less busts in the league year in and year out because these guys are still going to be playing for the huge contract 4 or 5 yrs down the road. Giving a 22yr old 60 mill, in my opinion, isn't a good investment, unless its a peyton manning/suh caliber player

Leave a comment:

Working...
X