Salary by each player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    See, this is the part that makes no sense to me......they cut him because his salary was too high and want him back....but they still have to pay him $5M.

Why would they cut him to save salary if they have to pay him anyway and then pay another to take his place on top of that?

If they had to pay him regardless and they wanted to keep him, they would have just kept him. That doesn't add up.

Same with J. Williams. If they had to pay him regardless, they would have kept him as well.

I think with so much supposedly guaranteed money to these 2 guys they would have tried to trade them first before outright cutting.
    if they rework his contract to be lower, he still gets his guarenteed 5 mill, but will cost the broncos less over the long haul.....it makes sense..williams doesn't fit their system and would have cost denver wayyy too much if he completed the 5 years, same with graham

Comment

Originally posted by BlueOrange7 View Post
      then how do we still owe him 3.5 to 4 mill? I think you are the one is wrong sir

I believe how it works, is even if we did pay them the toatl amount, you have to account for the payment against the salary cap over the years in his contract, coul dbe wrong but check it out

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question644.htm
      We do not owe him 3.5MM, but if the signing bonus was 6.3MM on a 3 year contract = 2.1MM per year for cap purposes.

Cutting him accelerated the final two years cap figure to be 4.2MM. Not real money, but cap money.

Problem is there was no cap, so why is a bonus spread out anyways?

I am just going to wait until the CBA info is released.
      Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Just to clear the air on dead money....

Here's how it works:

Signing bonuses are prorated over the length of a contract for salary-cap purposes, they are NOT given in a single lump sum. If a player leaves the team before his contract expires, the remaining prorated portion of the bonus is counted immediately, in a lump sum, against the cap.

The thing is, these contracts were giving during a year when there was no salary cap. If the contracts were given when there was no salary cap, they should not now count against a new salary cap that didn't exist when the contracts were made. It's a pretty logical step to get to that point. I'm going to assume we still have to pay out that money since it's a contract, but it really shouldn't count against our cap.

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
          Nope, for example Williams had 7mil guaranteed and signed a 6.3mil signing bonus, which we paid a majority of his 1st year, so most of the money has already been paid
          Ok, now this is making a little more sense. I couldn't find J. Williams bonus. If he got a $6.3M signing bonus than $4.2M of that is a cap hit for this upcoming season.
          sigpic

Comment

god i just want football

Comment

From the link the OP provided:

Robert Ayers 5 yr/$18,340,000

Knowshon Moreno 5 yr/$16,700,000

Am I missing something? Ayers was selected at 18. Six spots after Moreno at 12.

How did he get a higher dollar contract? Maybe Moreno got more guaranteed money? Maybe a DE/OLB can demand more money than a RB even if getting drafted later? Just seems a bit odd.
              Show your joy

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                We do not owe him 3.5MM, but if the signing bonus was 6.3MM on a 3 year contract = 2.1MM per year for cap purposes.

Cutting him accelerated the final two years cap figure to be 4.2MM. Not real money, but cap money.

Problem is there was no cap, so why is a bonus spread out anyways?

I am just going to wait until the CBA info is released.
                This is the most logical thing to do Until then everything is just guessing.
                sigpic

Comment

if they rework his contract to be lower, he still gets his guarenteed 5 mill, but will cost the broncos less over the long haul.....it makes sense..williams doesn't fit their system and would have cost denver wayyy too much if he completed the 5 years, same with graham
                  They didn't rework it though, they cut him.
                  sigpic

Comment

They didn't rework it though, they cut him.
                    They want to re-work his contract, meaning to come back to the team. look it up on the google machine before you post

Comment

This is the most logical thing to do Until then everything is just guessing.
                      NOBODY PANIC lol

It will be what it will be...
                      Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by Grabber View Post
                        From the link the OP provided:

Robert Ayers 5 yr/$18,340,000

Knowshon Moreno 5 yr/$16,700,000

Am I missing something? Ayers was selected at 18. Six spots after Moreno at 12.

How did he get a higher dollar contract? Maybe Moreno got more guaranteed money? Maybe a DE/OLB can demand more money than a RB even if getting drafted later? Just seems a bit odd.
                        Moreno got $13.7 mill guaranteed while Ayers got $9.7 mill guaranteed.

Also, Knowshon has a nice little club option in 2014 so we can either pay him $4 mill or release him into FA a season early, which could work out nice for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                          Moreno got $13.7 mill guaranteed while Ayers got $9.7 mill guaranteed.

Also, Knowshon has a nice little club option in 2014 so we can either pay him $4 mill or release him into FA a season early, which could work out nice for him.
                          Thanks Hoser.

CP
                          Show your joy

Comment

They want to re-work his contract, meaning to come back to the team. look it up on the google machine before you post
                            just because they want to does not mean he wants to. They gave him the option of re-working his deal or going to FA. He chose FA. Hence he was CUT.

I don't even know if they could re-work his contract at this point. He is a UFA since he was cut. He has no contract. If they wanted him back they would have to give him a brand new contract regardless of the old one.

Look it up on the google machine before you post.
                            Last edited by broncos SB2010; 07-19-2011, 11:43 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

just because they want to does not mean he wants to. They gave him the option of re-working his deal or going to FA. He chose FA. Hence he was CUT.

I don't even know if they could re-work his contract at this point. He is a UFA since he was cut. He has no contract. If they wanted him back they would have to give him a brand new contract regardless of the old one.

Look it up on the google machine before you post.
                              I never said that he would want to, and of course he can listen to other teams, he was cut? That doesn't meant hte Broncos can't come knocking on his door to match an offer that would prolly be lower than the contract they gave him a year ago; which is why they cut him. They prolly cut him to give him the opprotunity to test the market to see what offers he gets & then they will work with him, due to the fact his other contract was too high. bud

Comment

The Denver Post is assuming that the contracts given to are signing bonuses, however they could have well been roster bonuses in which case we may not be hit with any cap penalty. If I'm not mistaken (and I could very well be) roster bonuses are divided by the number of years and given an equal value against the cap over the length of the contract. However a roster bonus is counted as a lump sum against the cap the year that it is due.

So if we gave Williams a contract with a $6.5 miliion dollar ROSTER bonus (just an example) it would have been counted against the cap last year, and this year would just be his salary. Which would result in no cap penalty when he is cut.

Also the term "guaranteed money" can be very misleading. A contract can be guaranteed against injury (if player A gets injured in year 1 his salary becomes guaranteed for year 2...but only if he gets injured otherwise year 2 is not guaranteed) but agents will report this as guaranteed money because it pumps up the numbers and can appeal to new potential clients.

Finally my last little ranting point, which I've hit on several times...how can contracts signed in a non capped world, and being terminated in a non capped world become subject to a future cap?!

Comment

Working...
                                X