Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with Lloyd?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What to do with Lloyd?

    We have all discussed, to the point of exhaustion, why Orton should be traded: fact he is going to be a FA next year, we have another, younger option, and the team could use more draft picks/player to speed up the rebuilding process.

    So, what about Lloyd? He is also set to be a FA next year, we have other, younger options, and his value will never be higher to get picks/player to speed up the rebuilding process.

    I believe we have three options:

    1. Extend him on a 3yr 20 million contract (affordable for a #1 WR)
    2. Trade him now and let Britt Davis and Matt Willis compete for deep threat.
    3. Wait until 2012 and try and re-sign him on an open market or walk.

    Here is how I see our depth chart:

    1. Lloyd (#1/Deep threat)
    2. Decker (possession WR)
    3. Royal (slot/possession WR)
    4. Gaffney (utility WR can play x,y,z)
    5. B Davis (similar to Gaffney)
    6. M Willis (deep threat)
    7. DT (will start on PUP/Deep threat)

    So what option do you like?
    66
    Extend him to age 34
    24.24%
    16
    Trade him for best offer
    19.70%
    13
    Wait until 2012 to do anything
    56.06%
    37
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

  • #2
    It depends on what compensation we can get, next year is going to be stacked at WR so if our guys don't pan out there will be some good targets next year.
    WRs we could see:
    Alshon Jeffery
    Greg childs
    Justin Blackmon
    Michael Floyd
    Jeff Fuller
    Mohammed Sanu(although I've never personally seen him everyone thinks he's good)

    Those guys all have the potential to be #1 recievers
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

    Comment


    • #3
      We need to keep Lloyd. He won't get too much in a trade given his age, and we can really use his playmaking ability. A lot of people on here downplay his talent and skill, saying we have a stacked enough WR corps to make him expendable. I believe he is a huge asset to our team, and can help bail our QB out of poorly thrown balls, as he did with both Tebow and Orton.

      Also, he is a proven deep threat and that makes his running routes a lot easier with the ability to fake deep and curl back for an easy first down. Willis and Davis, besides the fact that they are unproven, could not do that right now.

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Broncos is in rebuilding mode. I can see Tebow starting and not much wins but a lot of potentials.

        With that, trade Lloyd who is at the peak of his value. I don't think he can repeat his magical year in Fox conservative offense. Denver should get something to plug a hole somewhere and more. I think he is a one year wonder and a nomad for a reason. 2 to 3 years, a team rebuilt properly (which is aging good players traded for more than 1 high potential player), will become perennial contenders for years.

        Unlike Champ, Lloyd does not have a legacy. So fans might just shrug if a trade is made.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Twizlers View Post
          We need to keep Lloyd. He won't get too much in a trade given his age, and we can really use his playmaking ability. A lot of people on here downplay his talent and skill, saying we have a stacked enough WR corps to make him expendable. I believe he is a huge asset to our team, and can help bail our QB out of poorly thrown balls, as he did with both Tebow and Orton.

          Also, he is a proven deep threat and that makes his running routes a lot easier with the ability to fake deep and curl back for an easy first down. Willis and Davis, besides the fact that they are unproven, could not do that right now.
          +1
          10 char
          Decimating the competition, leaving in the wake a blind ambition.

          elecshoc
          You will be for ever known as the truth see-er

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
            It depends on what compensation we can get
            So what compensation tips the scale?
            Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

            Comment


            • #7
              I say keep him for this season, see what he can do in Fox/McCoy system.
              If he preform well,great, or better than last season, then keep him till he decides to walk.

              If he falls flat on his face, trade him, but since there is this lockout thing, give him this season and half of next season before judging on extending his contract or trading him.
              sigpic
              Adopted Broncos:
              EmmanuelSanders

              Comment


              • #8
                From a football point of view ...

                ... in three or four wide receiver formations if Lloyd is on LOS as X inside the off receiver, and the off guy motions to the other side of the formation, Lloyd is left on an island against the defender who had #2.

                Lloyd proved himself capable of uncanny body control and the ability to make great catches against tight man coverage, sometimes with a Safety over the top.

                Lloyd is the best X available at the moment. Demaryius Thomas may not be ready to play until after the season is underway. Gaffney is reliable, but not the threat that Lloyd was in 2010. Decker and Royal may be off receivers who motion.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                Comment


                • #9
                  TRADE, he is going to wat too much money (this is his last/only big contract chance) and he knows the WR position will lose depth w/o him on our team, not to mention he will be able to open up our running game a bit more with him on the field. With that being said, I do not want to spend upwards of 7 mill for a 31 yo deepthreat that had one good year

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                    It depends on what compensation we can get, next year is going to be stacked at WR so if our guys don't pan out there will be some good targets next year.
                    WRs we could see:
                    Alshon Jeffery
                    Greg childs
                    Justin Blackmon
                    Michael Floyd
                    Jeff Fuller
                    Mohammed Sanu(although I've never personally seen him everyone thinks he's good)

                    Those guys all have the potential to be #1 recievers
                    Add Juron Criner to your list

                    As far as Lloyd is concerned, trading him is silly unless they could trade him for a top DT but that won't happen.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Brandon Llyod earned his pay day last season. To be as consistent and productive like he was on a 4-12 Denver Broncos team showed me the kid is not a fluke. Like I have said before, Llyod his entire career has walked the walk and talked the talk but was never given a chance at the #1. He proved not only to the fans last season but his ex-coaches as well he is a very polished/skilled receiver.

                      You lock the man up for 20mil and call it a day.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                        Brandon Llyod earned his pay day last season. To be as consistent and productive like he was on a 4-12 Denver Broncos team showed me the kid is not a fluke. Like I have said before, Llyod his entire career has walked the walk and talked the talk but was never given a chance at the #1. He proved not only to the fans last season but his ex-coaches as well he is a very polished/skilled receiver.

                        You lock the man up for 20mil and call it a day.
                        I think that would be premature. I agree he showed a lot of skills this past year but I think it would be prudent to see how he does this season and then sign him to a new contract mid season if he is still doing well. Right now he is a probowl player and will want a high pay day. Later in the season we may be able to get him cheaper and they have nothing to lose if they wait.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I don't think trading would be out of the question, especially in a year when we are trying to reduce our cap not expand it. We have a couple of players that can stretch the field and lloyd is an aging WR who is looking to get paid

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                            I think that would be premature. I agree he showed a lot of skills this past year but I think it would be prudent to see how he does this season and then sign him to a new contract mid season if he is still doing well. Right now he is a probowl player and will want a high pay day. Later in the season we may be able to get him cheaper and they have nothing to lose if they wait.
                            alll and well unless he holds out, or demands a new contract this year after coming off the prior year

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think we keep him. U cant get away with letting talent walk for so long b4 it bites u in the butt. I say we ride the wave with him and see how it pans out, plus we have him at a low price. If he excels during the season try to extend him, if he flops u dont lose anything

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X