Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with Lloyd?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I think that would be premature. I agree he showed a lot of skills this past year but I think it would be prudent to see how he does this season and then sign him to a new contract mid season if he is still doing well. Right now he is a probowl player and will want a high pay day. Later in the season we may be able to get him cheaper and they have nothing to lose if they wait.
    20mil in this market of wide receives is a bargain. Your not over paying for a quality player. If Llyod has another pro bowl year he may want 27-35mil for 3 years and then what? You need to lock the kid up and address other areas of concern.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by BlueOrange7 View Post
      alll and well unless he holds out, or demands a new contract this year after coming off the prior year
      You really think he would actually even think about that??? The Broncos were the ONLY team that wanted him last year. He might have been out of FB last year if they hadn't signed him.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
        20mil in this market of wide receives is a bargain. Your not over paying for a quality player. If Llyod has another pro bowl year he may want 27-35mil for 3 years and then what? You need to lock the kid up and address other areas of concern.
        I don't expect him to put up the same numbers as he did this past season. It would be a gamble I'm willing to take. Paying $20M for nthree years for a 1 year, 309 old WR wonder is too much of a gamble for me when there are bigger needs on the team.

        They already have 2 young promising WR in Decker and DT. They have Royal who shows ability from time to time. Then there is always the draft...get good young talent to grow with the team. Lloyd had a great year but it's not like he ever showed consistency before and he is already 30. How many great years does he have left that would make a big poayday at this point a good investment? You want to talk about locking up a player then lets talk about extending Clady, a promising LT who could be on the team for the next 10 years, before we talk about extending Lloyd.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
          20mil in this market of wide receives is a bargain. Your not over paying for a quality player. If Llyod has another pro bowl year he may want 27-35mil for 3 years and then what? You need to lock the kid up and address other areas of concern.
          Not sure I would call it a bargain, but it is fair. Essentially we would be paying 9 million a year for 2012 and 2013, which is around top 10 money for WR.

          We should be able to avoid a SB of more than 5MM if we are really buying out this year.
          Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

          Comment


          • #20
            WR out of the draft take time to develop and evolve into the NFL. You forget a 16 game season is huge right out of college.

            As for DT, have you seen pictures of his injury? I doubt that man will ever be at 100% again. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...iw=916&bih=683

            Llyod is a proven VET receiver

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNm14n5Da1k

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
              So what compensation tips the scale?
              It all depends on how much we believe in the rebuild, IMO EFX doesn't believe we need to rebuild. however for me a second pretty much seals the deal, we could easily find his replacement with that, or add more talent.
              What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
              I don't know and I don't care

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                WR out of the draft take time to develop and evolve into the NFL. You forget a 16 game season is huge right out of college.

                As for DT, have you seen pictures of his injury? I doubt that man will ever be at 100% again. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...iw=916&bih=683

                Llyod is a proven VET receiver

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNm14n5Da1k
                a proven 1 year, 30 year old vet.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #23
                  I already said my due, but I just thought of something, that I wanna ask to the ones that just wanna flat out keep him.

                  We have good depth if not better at wide out, if we traded Brandon for a stud D-linemen plus a pick or just a flat out stud. Would you trade Lloyd?
                  sigpic
                  Adopted Broncos:
                  EmmanuelSanders

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Brandon Loyd would be a great receiver to have on the roster if the Broncos were getting ready to make a serious run at the Super Bowl. As it stands, the Broncos are a good 3 years out from making that run so an aging (albeit above average) receiver is a luxury the team cannot afford.

                    Loyd's presence on the roster really doesn't help the Broncos because he would be monopolizing valuable reps that the younger players need in order to grow with the team as it's rebuilding. I would think the goal would be to build a young, solid core of players that will be around and contribute for the next half decade and not rely on an aging veteran (at any position, I.E. Dawkins) that will jump ship if another team offers him an extra few hundred thousand dollars.

                    The Broncos are better off cashing in on his resurrected value to help speed up the rebuilding process.
                    Last edited by MaloCS; 07-20-2011, 09:11 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                      It all depends on how much we believe in the rebuild, IMO EFX doesn't believe we need to rebuild. however for me a second pretty much seals the deal, we could easily find his replacement with that, or add more talent.
                      Yes, I am starting to get the sense EFX is less on board with a rebuild as we were led to believe with the "build through the draft" rhetoric.

                      Anyone who has followed football can see for long term success, you can not straddle the fence, you either commit to the rebuild or end up in mediocrity.

                      I feel every move we make should be focused on 2013 being the year, if we are lucky it happens in 2012. However, when it happens we should be able to go on a 5-6 year run as a relevant contender.

                      To me Deangelo, Bannan, Orton, Lloyd, BDawk, and any other twilight FA just does not fit my opinion...
                      Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by MaloCS View Post

                        Loyd's presence on the roster really doesn't help the Broncos because he would be monopolizing valuable reps that the younger players need in order to grow with the team as it's rebuilding.
                        I also have concerns with Tebow building up a relationship with Lloyd only to see him gone after this year.

                        Losing your main target can really regress a QB. If we are going with Tebow, we need to start cultivating the receivers he is going to be throwing to for the long haul.

                        Signing Lloyd to 3 years would be okay, it gives Tebow "his guy" for a few years. Worst case is Lloyd being that guy and leaving in 2012.
                        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          i also think we should trade dj for a 2nd....were stacked at lb and we need talent. give the young guys a chance to play and get a pretty high pick for him next year

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                            Yes, I am starting to get the sense EFX is less on board with a rebuild as we were led to believe with the "build through the draft" rhetoric.

                            Anyone who has followed football can see for long term success, you can not straddle the fence, you either commit to the rebuild or end up in mediocrity.

                            I feel every move we make should be focused on 2013 being the year, if we are lucky it happens in 2012. However, when it happens we should be able to go on a 5-6 year run as a relevant contender.

                            To me Deangelo, Bannan, Orton, Lloyd, BDawk, and any other twilight FA just does not fit my opinion...
                            Great post! :thumb:

                            I feel bad for posting this because I love the guy as much as a fan can love a player but Champ fits right in to your insightful philosophy. It pains me to say it but his presence and value could go a long way in righting the ship. Just look at the wonders the Herschel Walker trade did for Dallas in the early 90s. That trade created the foundation for their dynasty.

                            EDITED -- I take back my statement... I can't bear to see Champ leave so I'm off to punish myself with a rusty cheese grater.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                              Yes, I am starting to get the sense EFX is less on board with a rebuild as we were led to believe with the "build through the draft" rhetoric.

                              Anyone who has followed football can see for long term success, you can not straddle the fence, you either commit to the rebuild or end up in mediocrity.

                              I feel every move we make should be focused on 2013 being the year, if we are lucky it happens in 2012. However, when it happens we should be able to go on a 5-6 year run as a relevant contender.

                              To me Deangelo, Bannan, Orton, Lloyd, BDawk, and any other twilight FA just does not fit my opinion...
                              I think the fact Fox had instant success is a huge factor, in fact I think that was the sole reason he was brought in, I think we panicked a bit and brought him in.
                              What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                              I don't know and I don't care

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Syvari View Post
                                i also think we should trade dj for a 2nd....were stacked at lb and we need talent. give the young guys a chance to play and get a pretty high pick for him next year
                                I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one, DJ is the best linebacker on the roster. We are stacked with bodies not talent. So I wouldn't move the most talented linebacker
                                What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                                I don't know and I don't care

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X