Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos have needs, but te not one of them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos have needs, but te not one of them?

Tight end Richard Quinn hopes to have his hands full as Broncos starter

By Mike Klis - The Denver Post

Time to step up, Richard Quinn.

The Broncos released veteran Daniel Graham, their starting tight end the past four seasons, in March. The move was made in part because the team's football operations triumvirate of John Elway , Brian Xanders and John Fox believed Quinn was ready to assume the role of blocking tight end. With the Broncos, the blocking tight end is the starting tight end.

Ready? Until now, Quinn was not. After two seasons and only one catch for 9 yards, the former second-round draft pick from North Carolina will get his chance. Time to step up, Richard Quinn.

"I've been hearing that for a while now," Quinn said Tuesday after a long workout with trainer Loren Landow, quarterback Brady Quinn and 16 other Broncos at Valor Christian High School. "I'm ready. I'm going to work hard — I have been working — and be ready for what they need me to do. I'm confident I can get the job done and help this team win."

The first step, as Richard Quinn steps up, is improving his blocking. At 6-foot-4 and 255 pounds, Quinn is expected to at least adequately replace Graham in the running game.

"Richard definitely has the ability and the size and strength," said Dan Gronkow-ski, the Broncos' "receiving" tight end. "He just has to get his mind right. It's more confidence than anything, and he'll be all right."

The second step, as Quinn steps up, is as a receiving threat. This will be a difficult step. Until he proves otherwise, some may say it's an impossible step. Quinn caught only 12 passes in three seasons for North Carolina's Tar Heels. He didn't make his first NFL catch until his 27th game.

This helps explain why the Broncos selected Julius Thomas in the fourth round of this year's draft. Thomas was a basketball player at Portland State until he switched to football and the tight end position as a redshirt senior. The Broncos drafted another tight end, Virgil Green, in the seventh round.

But it figures to take awhile before the athletic but raw Thomas and Green are ready to produce.

"We have high hopes for those guys, and I'm going to help bring them along anyway I can," Gronkowski said. "But it took me a year and a half just to get the playbook down. So it takes awhile, even for a first-rounder, to adjust at this level."

Until then, the Broncos have to figure out a way to get more receptions out of their tight end position, especially if the inexperienced Tim Tebow becomes their starting quarterback.

Last season, Graham led Denver tight ends with 18 catches. That ranked 43rd among NFL tight ends. When there are only 32 teams in the league, 43rd isn't good. The inept production is even more glaring inside the tight end-rich AFC West, which had three of the top 15 last season in Oakland's Zach Miller (60 catches, five touchdowns), San Diego's Antonio Gates (50 catches, 10 touchdowns) and Kansas City's Tony Moeaki (47 catches, three touchdowns).

Graham and Gronkowski combined for 26 catches and zero touchdowns last year.

"Nothing matters until you get out there and play in a game," said Brady Quinn, who threw to Richard Quinn and Gronkowski after the workout Tuesday. "I know both of these guys have been working hard to get ready. Both are capable of doing both — blocking and catching the ball. All those guys need now is reps. They didn't get many reps last year. They'll both get reps this year."

Said Richard Quinn: "If it comes my way, I'll be ready. There's a whole lot to learn about how to play in the NFL. How to prepare, how to play, the business of football. This is my third year, and I think I have got my feet wet the past two years, and I'm excited for the challenge."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or [email protected]

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...mplepiebroncos

-------------
    SOUNDS like DENVER is set at the TE position.

Quinn and Gronko will serve as the blocking TEs. I think Virgil Green can step in from the start at be the pas-catching threat. Thomas will probably take some time.

I'm wondering if we plan to keep all 4 on the roster? I would think so. I mean, Thomas wont be shoved to the practice squad... So, this probably prohibits DEN from bringing back Graham, or signing another TE. Can't really keep 5 on the roster.

I imagine there's a undrafted rookie free agent we'll bring in. Somebody who can catch the ball. I actually think Quinn and Gronko will be fine (blocking). Sure, if an injury happens we're in trouble.

So, the risk is: Do we rely on Green? After watching Moeki last year... why not? Not having OTA will hurt Virgil, but he wont be asked to block. Just come in on passing downs.

I also just saw this on Rotoworld

The Broncos reportedly released Daniel Graham in part due to their belief that Richard Quinn is ready to step in as the blocking tight end.

That sounds like praise for Quinn, but it had more to do with Graham's salary and declining play. After catching just 12 passes in three years at North Carolina, Quinn has one reception in two years with Denver. He won't keep fourth-rounder Julius Thomas on the bench for long.

If Quinn can have a good season that'd be fantastic, but I'm not really expecting much.

Comment

Tight Ends

There are currently five of them. They all need to work on aspects of their game and two of them are rookies. It remains to be seen how many will be carried on the roster. We wish them well.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        There are currently five of them. They all need to work on aspects of their game and two of them are rookies. It remains to be seen how many will be carried on the roster. We wish them well.
        TEs play a big part on STs so carrying 5 is okay, but usually reduces WRs to 5 also.
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
          TEs play a big part on STs so carrying 5 is okay, but usually reduces WRs to 5 also.
          Five seems like a lot of TEs. Have five TEs ever been on the roster before?

You are right about ST. Except for FGA/XPA, TEs, LBs, FBs and DBs dominate the K/KR/P/PR teams.

Comment

No way they keep all 5 TE. 4 is usually too many. One of them will go this year or next.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Five seems like a lot of TEs. Have five TEs ever been on the roster before?

You are right about ST. Except for FGA/XPA, TEs, LBs, FBs and DBs dominate the K/KR/P/PR teams.
              We have carried 5 before, but one was really the long snapper.
              Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

I'm fine with Quinn as the blocking TE, and i don't know if we carry all 4 TE's, but time will tell.

Thomas will probably stay because of his high, high potential, the FO really likes him a lot.

I never thought TE was a need, especially with the draft, not much in the FA market anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                  I'm fine with Quinn as the blocking TE, and i don't know if we carry all 4 TE's, but time will tell.

Thomas will probably stay because of his high, high potential, the FO really likes him a lot.

I never thought TE was a need, especially with the draft, not much in the FA market anyway.
                  If the decision was to trade Orton (to clear some cap space) and start Tebow, then a RT, RB and a pass catching TE were huge needs (IMHO). Tebow needs a reliable run game to take pressure off him, he needs a OL on the field to protect his blind side and he needs an outlet in the passing game (a dump option).

Harris has been hurt alot (and was potentially a free agent), Moreno still unproven and we had NO pass catching TE threat.

Maybe the draft is different if we were able to plug holes and fill needs in free agency beforehand. That wasn't the case this time.

I think TE was a position EFX felt was best served to address in the draft. We had our blocking TEs on the roster already (Quinn and Gronko both young and should be entering the prime, or "best" years). So, do you sign a free agent pass catching TE? based on our board, we decided the value was there to plug that hole with Thomas. Knowing that would take time, we then grabbed Green to help out while JT develops.

This thinking was probably why we gabbed Franklin in the 2nd round. We identified him as the best blocking OL in the draft, so when he was there we went for it.

Did we get it right on these 3 guys? Time will tell. But with so many needs, and with the fact we were unable to get things going in free agency... We decided to cross 1 OL & pass catching TE off our list of needs.

This makes RB & DT the obvious needs come free agency. Maybe even RT (if we plan on bringing Franklin around slowly or if we thnk he's more of a OG).

Comment

Maybe he has confidence issues because he is labeled as nothing else but a blocking TE. Additionally, no one throws to him. It is not that he is dropping catches, it is that no one is even looking at him the very few times he does run a route.

Comment

Tight Ends

Like every other player on O, TEs must block. As an end on the LOS, the TE is an eligible receiver and must catch passes.

If a player shown on the roster as a TE is off the LOS, he is no longer Y, but another designated position for the purpose (not to be confused with porpoise) like H, for example. In this situation, he may motion.

Comment

I'm sure we'll be Thomas, Green, and Quinn. They're all young with decent to good potential, no reason to keep anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                          I'm sure we'll be Thomas, Green, and Quinn. They're all young with decent to good potential, no reason to keep anybody else.
                          What about Gronkowski?

Comment

I always thought Quinn was not going to be much after ...
                            http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=147071
                            Hopefully he's improved!

Comment

No, keeping four tight ends would reduce us to five wide receivers. Keeping five TE's just isn't going to happen. But in this offense I think the plan was to go with five wide outs all along. Demaryius Thomas will start the season in the PUP list so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think Lloyd, Gaffney, Royal, and Decker are locks. So that would mean Willis and Davis will fight for the final spot. That seems like a pretty good group to me. The hard part will be deciding who to cut when, and if, Thomas comes back this year.

Coats is as good as gone, but I think Quinn, Gronkowski (who seems like the kind of TE Fox carried in Carolina), Thomas, and Green is a very solid group. Each of them brings something a little different to the table.

Comment

Working...
                              X