Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos have needs, but te not one of them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we keep gronks quinn and thomas on as TE... O and Green I think we could be a FB on our roster if we don't pick one up. As it stands now I can see that with Green being more of a FB/ H back then a tightend on the line.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Comment

Do you realize Chris Cooley was better than all of our TE's combined last year?
      "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
        Do you realize Chris Cooley was better than all of our TE's combined last year?
        Do you realize Cooley only had three touchdowns last year and is on the downside of his career? The guy is overrated and hasn't been an elite player since 2007.

Besides, what does Chris Cooley have to do with any of this? It's an article about how the Broncos are set at tight end and won't be bringing anyone else in (besides maybe and UDFA as a camp body).

Comment

The Broncos will probably keep 3 TEs. I think Quinn, Gronkowski and Thomas will definetely make the roster. They are the in-line TEs that Fox likes to use. Quinn = blocker, Gronkowski = balanced, Thomas = receiver. Virgil Green was a luxury pick but had too much value in the 7th round. It becomes a numbers game. He might find a spot as the H-Back. Green might be a better player than a project like Julius Thomas at this point but a 4th round pick will clearly have the advantage. When the Broncos drafted Virgil Green they likely thought about the impact of Aaron Hernandez in the passing game.
          sigpic

Comment

I think we carry four TEs. Quinn, Gronk, and the two rooks.

Maybe we try and filter Thomas to the Practice Squad, but that's a little risky. Still, if a team signed him off our PS, he'd have to stay on their active roster. After one year of college ball, no team will do that. My opinion is that we could get Thomas on the PS, and once there, it's up to him whether to sign with another team. He seems very high on Denver, so I doubt he would do that.

So, it would be conceivable to just carry Quinn, Gronk, and Green.

But, then again, carrying all four makes some sense too. Both Green and Thomas could be special teams dynamos due to their athleticism. And Green has been talked about as an H-Back/FB type as well. If we don't sign a true FB to compete with Larsen, he backs up there.

As for Quinn, he actually graded out as our best run blocking TE last year, wayyyy more effective than Graham. Quinn was rated (+0.7) while Graham was (-7.9). Gronk was (-1.7). Quinn also graded out basically the same for his pass blocking, and he was our only TE that was not charged with giving up a sack last year. We reached like hell for Quinn in the draft, but he hasn't been a bust by any stretch. He just isn't a receiving TE so nobody gets to hear his name even though he blocks well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
              The Broncos will probably keep 3 TEs. I think Quinn, Gronkowski and Thomas will definetely make the roster. They are the in-line TEs that Fox likes to use. Quinn = blocker, Gronkowski = balanced, Thomas = receiver. Virgil Green was a luxury pick but had too much value in the 7th round. It becomes a numbers game. He might find a spot as the H-Back. Green might be a better player than a project like Julius Thomas at this point but a 4th round pick will clearly have the advantage. When the Broncos drafted Virgil Green they likely thought about the impact of Aaron Hernandez in the passing game.
              I think we keep 4 tight ends and go one less reciever this year. I don't think we will see as many 4-5 reciever packages like we did under McDaniels.
              sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                What about Gronkowski?
                If his first name was Rob not Dan then yeah I think we keep him, but I don't see it. He's a holdover a coaching regime that acquired him in a trade they never should have made in the first place. Fox showed with this draft he doesn't think we have much at TE, I think Gronk is out.

Comment

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
                  I think we keep 4 tight ends and go one less reciever this year. I don't think we will see as many 4-5 reciever packages like we did under McDaniels.
                  How about have all four TEs line up in Double Wing/Gun?
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

We have Quinn who has underperformed thus far.

We have 2 rookies that supposedly are ballers.

In this rebuilding year, let's play them all...a lot. Chances are one of them will play decent enough to get the job done. If not, then we'll know and can look elsewhere.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post
                      We have Quinn who has underperformed thus far.

We have 2 rookies that supposedly are ballers.

In this rebuilding year, let's play them all...a lot. Chances are one of them will play decent enough to get the job done. If not, then we'll know and can look elsewhere.
                      Quinn hasn't under performed he has done exactly what he was drafted for a blocker and that's it
                      A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

I think we should keep all 4 assuming Thomas and Green show potential in training camp and Green's knee issues aren't a huge concern. Quinn is a solid blocker who should see playing time due to that. Gronkowski is a decent balanced TE. He isn't a great blocker or receiver, but he can do a little bit of both. I like that we added 2 rookie TEs with pass catching ability. Thomas may take a while to develop since he barely had any experience at the college level. However, he has pretty good athleticism and hands and has been gaining weight in order to gain strength as a blocker. Charley Casserly has said TE is the position where players improve the most from college to the NFL because most colleges don't have a TE coach. He may not be ready to contribute this year, but I would keep him on the roster and give him a bit of playing time to assimilate him to the NFL game. Green has great athleticism for a TE and could possibly contribute THIS year as a pure receiving threat. He has good speed, great leaping ability, and solid hands. As long as we don't ask him to block much like New England didn't ask Hernandez to block, then he could definitely make some plays for this team. In this situation we would most likely keep only 5 receivers, but that's ok because we won't see as many 3 and 4 receiver sets as we saw with McDaniels. To sum everything up, keep all 4 TEs. Quinn and Gronkowski see most of the playing time this year while we work Thomas and Green into the lineup and get them some experience. Thomas and Green possess game-breaking potential from the TE spot that Quinn and Gronkowski do not have.
                        Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

I definitely envision 3rd downs with a single RB (Moreno) along with an HB (Green) and 2 WR (say Lloyd & Royal) and a blocker (RB or TE)... Lloyd goes deep and Royal goes 7-15 yards with both Moreno and Green in flats as safety outlets (maybe even Green going deep too).

Tebow has 1 read (either Lloyd or Royal), and if not there... just dump to Moreno or Green.

Maybe even a pre-snap read, based on defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X