Broncos expected to bring back Bannan, J-Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos expected to bring back Bannan, J-Wall

The Denver Post reiterates that the Broncos are interested in bringing back free agent DTs Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams at a reduced rate this summer.

Bannan seems to be the top choice, and he would slide in next to Kevin Vickerson as a starter inside. The 32-year-old is also interested in returning to Baltimore, but Denver is easily the more desperate of the two teams.
    If this is our plan at DT I'm gonna be pissed.... I'm okay with bringing back Bannan, be played decently last season, but unless J-Wall comes really cheap I have really no interest in him.

I still think we need to aggressively go after guys like Mebane, Cofield, Branch, etc. and not settle for these guys as our starters.

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    If this is our plan at DT I'm gonna be pissed.... I'm okay with bringing back Bannan, be played decently last season, but unless J-Wall comes really cheap I have really no interest in him.

I still think we need to aggressively go after guys like Mebane, Cofield, Branch, etc. and not settle for these guys as our starters.
    I think we should pass on J-Will, and that's that. As for Bannan, he gets a lot of heat from the fans, but he was one of, if not the best D-linemen last season, and he was wrongfully cut.

I believe the rumor was, that we was trying to do the same thing the Packers did with A.J Hawk. Cut him then re-sign him to a lower contract.

So I hope and would be happy with Justin being back, but I would be pissed if J-Will is a Bronco again.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Word ...

... from the CBA talks is that 90 players will be allowed to enter TC.

The winnowing process would then begin.

If Bannan and J-Maul are brought back, it wouldn't necessarily preclude the acquisition of a FA DT or two, depending on how the contract and incentives were structured.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Seems EFX, just like many fans here, do not understand what it means to rebuild. By all means sign Bannan...can't wait to see him get cut again next year.

It is starting to feel like the Shanny twilight years all over again...
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

From how this offseason has gone, it's obvious that the DT is not a position of need in EFX's mind. We might add depth, but it doesn't sound like they will pursue the big-named DT's. But before we crucify them for not doing what we want or what we think we need, let's see what happens.

Maybe we trade Orton for a stout DT, or maybe we dont sign anyone big-named. But lets see what they do on the field before we cast judgement. Mike Nolan did a heck of a job with mediocre players, lets see what the current regime can do.
          I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
          I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
          I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
          "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
          God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
          Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
            From how this offseason has gone, it's obvious that the DT is not a position of need in EFX's mind. We might add depth, but it doesn't sound like they will pursue the big-named DT's. But before we crucify them for not doing what we want or what we think we need, let's see what happens.

Maybe we trade Orton for a stout DT, or maybe we dont sign anyone big-named. But lets see what they do on the field before we cast judgement. Mike Nolan did a heck of a job with mediocre players, lets see what the current regime can do.
            Just because they are interested in Bannan/J. Williams doesn't mean the aren't interested in other DT as well. They need 3 DT afterall.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
              Just because they are interested in Bannan/J. Williams doesn't mean the aren't interested in other DT as well. They need 3 DT afterall.
              agreed, weird how they want bannan to come back at a cheaper rate huh

Comment

Its all about competition at camp. May the best man win.

We need to remember that were changing the culture of are D yet again and some guys who may have fit in last year could be the odd man out this year. Again, we only won 4 games last season so this is going to be a full blown rebuild for the broncos from the trenches out.

Picking up over paid/older FA's with a new CAP is not going to help the broncos rebuild. Were not contenders this year and if we can get by with youth on the line were headed in the proper direction.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueOrange7 View Post
                  agreed, weird how they want bannan to come back at a cheaper rate huh
                  If you are referring to the other thread where we discussed this, I knew all along they were interested in bringing him back at a lower contract. You didn't even know he was cut.

Bringing him back at a lower contract has nothing to do with cutting him if he was still guaranteed money and they still wanted him so...what's your point?
                  sigpic

Comment

If you are referring to the other thread where we discussed this, I knew all along they were interested in bringing him back at a lower contract. You didn't even know he was cut.

Bringing him back at a lower contract has nothing to do with cutting him if he was still guaranteed money and they still wanted him so...what's your point?
                    I literally said they cut him but want to bring him back to rework his contract. And what do you mean bringing him back at lower contract has nothing to do with cutting him? It has everything to do with cutting him, thats why they did it. After they cut him the only thing still valid in the contract is whats guarenteed, the rest is voided. Cut, new contract, less money

I don't see your point

Comment

Originally posted by BlueOrange7 View Post
                      I literally said they cut him but want to bring him back to rework his contract. And what do you mean bringing him back at lower contract has nothing to do with cutting him? It has everything to do with cutting him, thats why they did it. After they cut him the only thing still valid in the contract is whats guarenteed, the rest is voided. Cut, new contract, less money

I don't see your point
                      I don't see your point. How can they re-work his contract if they already cut him? He has no contract to rework. That part makes no sense. I also said cutting him to bring him back at a lower pay makes no sense if they have to pay him $4M anyway due to guarantees in his previous contract. What would they have saved? They would have to pay him his guarantee from the previous contract plus the money from the new contract. Come on man...keep up.

I think it may be what someone else posted that Bannans money may have been a roster bonus, not a signing bonus and thus was only guaranteed if he was still on the team. we shall see.
                      sigpic

Comment

as the of season has progressed, I have seen this coming. We just don't view any DTs on the current market worth the money we will have to pay. However they do know its a problem as we tried to trade up for Fairly and Wilkerson' and were linked with a trade for amobi okoye. I think okoye is still a possibility, but I don't expect a big name.
                        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

I don't see your point. How can they re-work his contract if they already cut him? He has no contract to rework. That part makes no sense. I also said cutting him to bring him back at a lower pay makes no sense if they have to pay him $4M anyway due to guarantees in his previous contract. What would they have saved? They would have to pay him his guarantee from the previous contract plus the money from the new contract. Come on man...keep up.

I think it may be what someone else posted that Bannans money may have been a roster bonus, not a signing bonus and thus was only guaranteed if he was still on the team. we shall see.
                          his contract was 5yr 22mill
                          what they prolly would want to re-work with him is the TOTAL amount paid over the duration of the contract, what sounds cheaper to you paying 22mill or paying the guarenteed 5 mill after the signing bonus, keep up? If a new contract is handed out you can expect his signing bonus/guarenteed money to be lower and his contract length to be a 3 yr amount worth 8-12 mill

so again what sounds cheaper 22 mill or all together about 15 mill?

keep up

Comment

Why isn't this thread about Tebow or Orton??

In all seriousness, I would really like to be able to bring both Williams and Bannan back, yet still go after Mebane and Cofield or somebody in a trade for Orton.

Having 90 guys in camp really breeds competition. Let's have all of the men battling for the DT spots elevate their game in order to make the roster.
                            Show your joy

Comment

I would like to see what Jamal Williams can do in the 4-3 with less responsibility, but that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X