X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoundsOfSuccess
    replied
    Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
    I see your point. As much as I love Von Miller, you'd think in our "run heavy" afc west, we'd have gone with DL pick. I'm going to give Elway more leash than anyone else -after all he's brought us to the promised land before.

I don't know the contract details with Bannan but if I was him, I'd be pissed if Denver cut him and then resigned him (without telling him that) just to save a roster bonus -- if that even is the case. And Bannan wasn't told that's what was going down because I heard his interview soon after and he wasn't happy about it.

Bottom line, I wouldn't mind seeing Bannan stay on the team if he's suited to his new job which he might not be. This ain't the 3-4 no more. Can he be suitable to 4-3 DL?
    Although I would feel the same way, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bannan come out and say he understood and would like to be back?

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    I wouldn't hate it if we brought back Bannan, no thanks to JWall though.

Leave a comment:

• dizzolve
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    In time, the only way the Miller pick will be justified is if he turns out to be great against the run and averages 8 sacks/season and Fairley/Dareus bust or are just average. If Buffalo sticks in a 3-4 it will be hard to judge Dareus and how effective he might have been in a 4-3. I agree that DT trumps SOLB every time but if Miller produces like Derrick Thomas it will all be worth it though. That's a big IF though.
    I see your point. As much as I love Von Miller, you'd think in our "run heavy" afc west, we'd have gone with DL pick. I'm going to give Elway more leash than anyone else -after all he's brought us to the promised land before.

I don't know the contract details with Bannan but if I was him, I'd be pissed if Denver cut him and then resigned him (without telling him that) just to save a roster bonus -- if that even is the case. And Bannan wasn't told that's what was going down because I heard his interview soon after and he wasn't happy about it.

Bottom line, I wouldn't mind seeing Bannan stay on the team if he's suited to his new job which he might not be. This ain't the 3-4 no more. Can he be suitable to 4-3 DL?

Leave a comment:

• ramanboy33
    replied
    So word is teams will get 3 days to sign "their" free agents. As cut players, are Bannan and Williams Broncos free agents that we could sign in the first 3 days, or would we have to wait to make a run at them?

Leave a comment:

• BluenOrnge4Life
    replied
    Originally posted by Cugel View Post
    This is all a bunch of crap.

What if the guys they drafted in the 2nd round turn out to be busts? It's all a risk. Fairley was a top 10 talent. The Lions and a bunch of other teams thought highly of him -- enough so to make him a top 15 draft pick -- for a team that already HAS Suh!

Stockpiling elite talent is how you build a defense. NOT plugging holes with mediocre talent. The Broncos don't desperately need a safety or OT. They could have re-signed Harris for another year and dealt with RT in 2012.

They could USE a S or 2, but they DESPERATELY ABSOLUTELY NEED an elite DT and had their choice of several in this draft. Fairley would have been a good choice. And that would have been a vastly SUPERIOR draft than the one they had.

This will become obvious in the next couple of years. I saw lots of similar B.S. from people after the 2009 draft who kept arguing that Knowshon Moreno was a great pick and that "maybe Brian Orakpo will be a bust."

Well, he wasn't and this one is going to be the same damn thing!
    And maybe it's YOU who will be the one who is wrong?

Again, when you're a bad team with a lot of holes, you don't put all of your eggs in one basket by trading away half of your draft to get 1 player.

If you want to argue that the Broncos should have taken a DT in the 2nd round instead of taking a RT and a Safety, that's a perfectly good argument.

But to sit here and say that we should have given up almost our entire draft to move up and draft a guy who was 'falling', is a risk of epic proportions.

This regime can't afford to take risks considering where we are.

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life
    You don't give up almost all of your picks to move up and draft a guy when you're the 2nd worst team in football. (You have a LOT of holes.)

What if they did that and Fairley turns out to be a bust? How much further would it have set this franchise back if they gave up half of their draft to draft a kid who turned out to be a bust? It would be a monumental mistake that would assure this team of being a bottom feeder for many years to come.

They weren't going to reach and gamble because this franchise can't afford to take gambles. If you think a guy is the missing piece to a championship team, then that's one thing.

However, you don't gamble on one player at the expense of drafting several good guys to add to a talent depleted football team.
    This is all a bunch of crap.

What if the guys they drafted in the 2nd round turn out to be busts? It's all a risk. Fairley was a top 10 talent. The Lions and a bunch of other teams thought highly of him -- enough so to make him a top 15 draft pick -- for a team that already HAS Suh!

Stockpiling elite talent is how you build a defense. NOT plugging holes with mediocre talent. The Broncos don't desperately need a safety or OT. They could have re-signed Harris for another year and dealt with RT in 2012.

They could USE a S or 2, but they DESPERATELY ABSOLUTELY NEED an elite DT and had their choice of several in this draft. Fairley would have been a good choice. And that would have been a vastly SUPERIOR draft than the one they had.

This will become obvious in the next couple of years. I saw lots of similar B.S. from people after the 2009 draft who kept arguing that Knowshon Moreno was a great pick and that "maybe Brian Orakpo will be a bust."

Well, he wasn't and this one is going to be the same damn thing!

Leave a comment:

• theMileHighGuy
    replied
    I think Jamal Williams is getting a lot of flak in here that he doesn't deserve. He commanded double teams and stuffed a lot of runs. It's tough to keep up at 320+ when your offense puts you back on the field every 5 minutes. I'd take him back.

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    I don't think he would be a good pass rusher. I think he would be able to collapse the middle of the pocket leaving little room for the QB to go when the edge rush comes. Most teams have edge rushers who can get close to the QB but if the QB can just step up and avoid it, it makes little difference. That's where the value in someone like Dareus would come in. Good against the run and able to collapse the pocket on passing downs, not as a pass rusher himself. Just my opinion.
    That's 100% of the point! How many times did you see Doom screaming around the end zeroing in on the QB -- on to see him step up into a perfect pocket while Doom got pushed past.

With a guy like Dareus getting pressure up the middle there would be NOWHERE for the QB to go -- which means more sacks for Doom. More hurries, hits, pressure, and bad throws that could wind up being intercepted. More three and outs, more incomplete passes, more balls thrown away.

That's how you have a winning defense in the NFL!

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I've never been sold on Dareus. I rarely, if ever, saw him get a good pass rush in college, I don't see why he'd all of a sudden do it in the NFL. Many scouts deemed his as a possible 2 down DT. I never saw the athleticism people raved about either. He was a good athlete who was extremely well polished and coached. I would have taken Fairley over him in a heartbeat.
    Dareus wasn't playing in a 4-3 in college so he was basically taking on several blockers. NFL scouts and GMs are projecting what a player will do in the NFL based on work ethic, size, speed and athleticism. Dareus rated as elite at all these.

NO DT comes into the NFL and dominates, so it's all a question of projecting how his skills will translate at the next level.

Now, you can make the case as many have that Fairley was a better prospect based on his play. One scout summed him up saying "he's a top 10 prospect and a top 10 bonehead."

You don't have to be a genius to be a DT in the NFL, so it turns out that the Lions were willing to take that chance.

My point is that the Broncos didn't draft EITHER of those players. The consensus better choice was Dareus, but trading back up into the first to get Fairley as they considered doing would have solved a lot of problems.

NOBODY could criticize that draft! And what would they have sacrificed? They wouldn't have gotten a safety? An OT? MUCH smaller needs!

They COULD have drafted both Miller AND the best defensive player of the year in Fairley. Now THAT would have been a great draft even if they didn't get anybody else (which they still would have).

Leave a comment:

• nic.zeman24
    replied
    Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
    Seems EFX, just like many fans here, do not understand what it means to rebuild. By all means sign Bannan...can't wait to see him get cut again next year.

It is starting to feel like the Shanny twilight years all over again...
    You rebuild through the draft, we didnt pick at DT what do you want to do?

Leave a comment:

• PowderAddict
    replied
    Yep, DB coach. Not LB coach. Not Dline coach. Not DC. I like the idea but not sold on it until I see it in action.
    You know, if he didn't have John Fox (an accomplished DC and HC in his own rights) working with him, I may be a bit apprehensive as well. Say, if he was the DC for a HC that considers the defense a minor annoyance during team meetings once a week.

Fox will work with Allen to design and implement the defense each week. I think having Fox around will really help a young DC like Allen.

Leave a comment:

• HUMCALC
    replied
    I don't think he would be a good pass rusher. I think he would be able to collapse the middle of the pocket leaving little room for the QB to go when the edge rush comes. Most teams have edge rushers who can get close to the QB but if the QB can just step up and avoid it, it makes little difference. That's where the value in someone like Dareus would come in. Good against the run and able to collapse the pocket on passing downs, not as a pass rusher himself. Just my opinion.
    I couldn't agree more. I would have taken him over Fairley because Fairley was smaller and more of a head case

We didn't give up a 100 yard rusher until Baltimore if I'm not mistaken

I'm torn about the signing of these two guys. If they sign them, I think we'll be as bad as last year, however if they sign them & nobody else, then I win a CP bet & I need as many CPs as possible

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
    Rarely, maybe. But the guy we have as DC was the DB coach in the superbowl 2 years ago, and the defense - particularly the DB's - confused the heck out of the least confusable QB in the game today, Payton Manning. If anyone can be creative, it will be Dennis Allen.

We have some good, solid coaching on this team. I really can't wait to see what Fox and Allen have up their sleeves. I want to see a defense that is fundamentally sound, and looks like a cohesive, organized unit. Something we haven't had around here for quite some time.
    Yep, DB coach. Not LB coach. Not Dline coach. Not DC. I like the idea but not sold on it until I see it in action.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
    I think Von Miller will play DE in a 4-man front. Robert Mathis is 6'2 245. That's Miller's height and current weight. And he will probably be able to play at 250 as he gets older and adapts to a professional training routine. On passing downs, Miller will occasionally put his hand on the ground. There will also be 3-man fronts with Miller lining up like a 3-4 OLB. The gameplan will be designed towards finding mismatches and sending Miller after the QB.
    We will just have to disagree on this one. I just don't see Fox playing him at DE. I think if they put him at DE that would just leave the run wide open to that side since there would be no way he could hold the edge against a run blocking OT. It would have 3rd and very long.

This part I think would be the best for him: 3-man fronts with Miller lining up like a 3-4 OLB. That would be close to a 5 man front. Something like Bannan, Thomas, and Vickerson (DT names filled in randomly) in the middle and DOOM and Miller at the ends.

Leave a comment:

• PowderAddict
    replied
    People say they will be creative and put him in position to be successful...all the coaches in the NFL are creative and yet we rarely see that.
    Rarely, maybe. But the guy we have as DC was the DB coach in the superbowl 2 years ago, and the defense - particularly the DB's - confused the heck out of the least confusable QB in the game today, Payton Manning. If anyone can be creative, it will be Dennis Allen.

We have some good, solid coaching on this team. I really can't wait to see what Fox and Allen have up their sleeves. I want to see a defense that is fundamentally sound, and looks like a cohesive, organized unit. Something we haven't had around here for quite some time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X