No announcement yet.

Orlando Franklin to LG, Beadles to RT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando Franklin to LG, Beadles to RT?

Well think about it. Unlike Beadles, Franklin has no experience playing on the right side of the line, let alone RT. He is born to play the guard position. He is huge, a mauler as a LG in college, and I don't see him handling speed rushers as gracefully as Clady does on the edge. Beadles on the other hand at least had some experience early in the season last year as a RT and, while not amazing at it, is probably the better pass protecter of the 2. And seeing as Tebow will more than likely be our starter, he is going to need someone who can at least stall the edge rush until he sees it and evades them, running for a TD.:thumb:

But the point is that Orlando Franklin needs to help out in the interior line in the run game since Walton isn't that great at it and Kuper's best skill is pass protecting. Imagine running behind the likes of Clady and Franklin ... can you say a resurrected rushing attack?

Thoughts?

sigpic

I've been wanting this from the moment we drafted him....

Comment

Ive wanted this too, his size is better suited for guard

Comment

The coaching staff seems very high on Franklin at right guard. Both Elway and Fox said he will get the first crack at the starting job, and Xanders said it will be a competition if Harris is retained (which is unlikely now that his free agency will be unrestricted).

I could see them bringing in a veteran to compete for the job, but it doesn't look as if EFX is as concerned about Franklin at RT as much of this message board is.

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
          The coaching staff seems very high on Franklin at right guard. Both Elway and Fox said he will get the first crack at the starting job, and Xanders said it will be a competition if Harris is retained (which is unlikely now that his free agency will be unrestricted).

I could see them bringing in a veteran to compete for the job, but it doesn't look as if EFX is as concerned about Franklin at RT as much of this message board is.

Obviously, you mean high on Franklin at Right "Tackle".

I think the message board makes sense on this one. We don't know if he can do it, nobody does. And he really didn't express much desire to play OT in the NFL. Still, we can all hope for the best. I believe the FO has to pump up Franklin though because of the players we passed on to draft him. It's much harder to justify drafting an OG in the Mid-2nd with some of those other guys still on the board than a RT. I believe the FO *hopes* he can play RT, but it's all projection right now.

If it's between Beadles and Franklin for starting at RT Week 1 this year, count me on the Beadles side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

I think the message board makes sense on this one. We don't know if he can do it, nobody does. And he really didn't express much desire to play OT in the NFL. Still, we can all hope for the best. I believe the FO has to pump up Franklin though because of the players we passed on to draft him. It's much harder to justify drafting an OG in the Mid-2nd with some of those other guys still on the board than a RT. I believe the FO *hopes* he can play RT, but it's all projection right now.

If it's between Beadles and Franklin for starting at RT Week 1 this year, count me on the Beadles side.
            Freudian slip

I am confident that Franklin can be a competent right tackle, but not in year one. I would like us to have some consistency on the line, so if possible I would like to keep Clady, Beadles, Walton, and Kuper where they are. It seemed like those guys really began to gel together towards the end of the season. I would rather bring in a veteran to compete with Franklin than move Beadles, but I could see it happening.

If we did go the free agent route, who do you see being a good fit? I know you like Clabo, but I would be surprised if we would be willing to pay him top dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by Twizlers View Post
              Well think about it. Unlike Beadles, Franklin has no experience playing on the right side of the line, let alone RT. He is born to play the guard position. He is huge, a mauler as a LG in college, and I don't see him handling speed rushers as gracefully as Clady does on the edge. Beadles on the other hand at least had some experience early in the season last year as a RT and, while not amazing at it, is probably the better pass protecter of the 2. And seeing as Tebow will more than likely be our starter, he is going to need someone who can at least stall the edge rush until he sees it and evades them, running for a TD.:thumb:

But the point is that Orlando Franklin needs to help out in the interior line in the run game since Walton isn't that great at it and Kuper's best skill is pass protecting. Imagine running behind the likes of Clady and Franklin ... can you say a resurrected rushing attack?

Thoughts?
              First, Franklin will play RT. The FO has already deemed him & Von Miller as starters. Second, I keep reading that Clady isn't that good of a run blockers
              "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                First, Franklin will play RT. The FO has already deemed him & Von Miller as starters. Second, I keep reading that Clady isn't that good of a run blockers
                Clady isn't a dominating run blocker, but he would qualify as "good". He usually grades in the +4.0 area according to PFF. He is more of an elite pass blocker though.
                Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 07-20-2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

If he starts at RT from day one we're probably going to run it as much as we can which would explain why Fox said our No. 1 priority is a RB.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

That'd actually work out pretty well. Whatever it takes to get Franklin to play LG instead of RT is fine by me.

Only thing though is that we really need to find somebody in FA that can play RT. We're dangerously thin along the line, we need at least one more guy if we let Harris walk.

Comment

Offensive Line

Conventional wisdom: Evaluate your group and rank them #1 to #8/9(?). Start your best five and shuffle them until everybody is in the best spot. If one of the top five goes down, bring in #6 and reshuffle if necessary.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                        Freudian slip

I am confident that Franklin can be a competent right tackle, but not in year one. I would like us to have some consistency on the line, so if possible I would like to keep Clady, Beadles, Walton, and Kuper where they are. It seemed like those guys really began to gel together towards the end of the season. I would rather bring in a veteran to compete with Franklin than move Beadles, but I could see it happening.

If we did go the free agent route, who do you see being a good fit? I know you like Clabo, but I would be surprised if we would be willing to pay him top dollar.

I'm fine with your line of thinking.

Clabo would be a long term starter at RT, so if the goal is to give Franklin a shot there in a year or two, we just need a stop gap. I think Willie Colon makes a ton of sense. He tore his achillies and missed last year, but in 2009, he was the best RT in the NFL grade wise, especially at pass blocking (+23.1). The Steelers apparently are going to let him walk. He would have commanded more money than Clabo, but he needs to rebound his value. If we can get him for a year on the cheap, that will give us time to determine if Franklin has a future at RT or not. If so, we let Colon walk and get a high supplemental pick. If not, we re-sign Colon. This is, assuming of course, he returns to form. But Colon would be my ideal RT candidate by a country mile. Damian Woody, also coming off an achilles injury, would be next, under the same type of plan.

After them, and assuming Gaither, Brown, Bushrod, Free, Trueblood, and Clabo are out of the picture due to contract or preference to play LT only, I guess Stephen Heyer, Matt Light, Ryan O'Callaghan, or Langston Walker would do. I'm fairly certain all of them are Free Agents. Heyer would probably be the ideal guy out of that group. He has the size, is a solid run blocker, and even has experience kicking to LT. Of course, he might not have to settle for a one or two year deal, he'll probably have suitors for a longer contract.

Comment

Ideally we would re-sign Harris and let Franklin battle it out with Beadles for the LG spot, but with our salary cap issues I don't know how feasible that is.

Comment

Originally posted by LightningRodBob View Post
                            Ideally we would re-sign Harris and let Franklin battle it out with Beadles for the LG spot, but with our salary cap issues I don't know how feasible that is.
                            No no no no "ideally" for some fans not "ideally" for this coaching staff. Ideally for this coaching staff is trading kuper moving Franklin to RG and bringing in clabo to play RT
                            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                              No no no no "ideally" for some fans not "ideally" for this coaching staff. Ideally for this coaching staff is trading kuper moving Franklin to RG and bringing in clabo to play RT
                              Ideally for this coaching staff seems to be, keeping the line how it is but instead of having Ryan Harris at RT we have Orlando Franklin.

Comment

Working...
                              X