Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signing big name FA RB a "fools errand"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

    So then it makes sense to sign a FA thats most likely looking for more than 2 million a year that you're not going to expect a 1k season out of?








    Who gives a flying duck about stats, or the numbers put up?

    The only thing that matters is that it is vital for this offense to have an amazing RB duo. It just wouldn't work any other way.

    And if Denver expects to win, they need to have somewhat of an effective offense.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
      And DeAngelo is unlikely to consecutively run for 1000 yards. He won't be the only one carrying the rock.
      If he and Moreno can pair together to be a consistant move the chains threat for 4 entire quarters, he'll be worth a good amount.

      I don't want Denver to sign him at such a high cost that they won't be able to acquire other FA's, but at this point we really have no idea how much he'll cost, and what EFX are even willing to pay for him.

      I'd love to have the player on the team. Without any slight clue of what the Broncos are able/willing to spend, it's hard for me to already crucify EFX when they haven't even made a peep about what they would spend.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ents-meet-hell

        After a season that saw unheralded backs like Arian Foster and Peyton Hillis break out with elite numbers, it should be clear to NFL teams that running backs are mostly fungible properties. That doesn't appear to be the case. The Broncos, for one, have been vocal about wanting to add a running back in free agency, compounding their mistake to waste a first-round pick on Knowshon Moreno two years ago. It's hard to imagine they're the only interested party.

        Spending more than a million dollars or so on a running back in free agency, though, has mostly been a fool's errand. Last season, the Bears and Chiefs gave free-agent backs Chester Taylor and Thomas Jones, respectively, a combined $10 million for the 2010 season. They were the two least productive running backs in football. The Eagles gave Mike Bell $1.7 million and dealt him to Cleveland halfway through the year. They also re-signed hybrid back Leonard Weaver, only for Weaver to suffer a gruesome knee injury in Week 1. Of the veteran backs who switched teams, only LaDainian Tomlinson approached even a passable level of play. Meanwhile, Danny Woodhead, Ryan Torain, and LeGarrette Blount all bounced around the waiver wire for peanuts.

        This wasn't just a 2010 thing, either. Virtually every outlay given to a veteran back in free agency has failed. Derrick Ward got $6 million in guaranteed money from the Buccaneers in 2009 and lasted one year. His former teammate with the Giants, Brandon Jacobs, re-signed with the team and lost his starting job a year later. During the 2007 offseason, Ahman Green got $6.5 million in guaranteed money for a total of 144 carries in two years with the Texans. The Broncos passed on Green to sign Travis Henry, who got $12 million in guaranteed money and ran for 691 yards and four touchdowns before the team released him to a life of child support payments and drug trafficking. By comparison, the Raiders got off lucky by giving Dominic Rhodes $2.5 million to produce 75 below-average carries. And they signed him only because their $17.8 million investment in LaMont Jordan after the 2005 season proved to be a great way to get 3.8 disgruntled yards per carry. Edgerrin James made that look good, running for 3.6 yards a pop while picking up $25 million from the Cardinals during his three years with the team. James was benched during the team's 2008 NFC championship season for a fifth-round pick making $430,500, Tim Hightower.

        The counterexample every GM will use to try to convince themselves that things will work out is Michael Turner, but even the six-year deal with $15 million in guaranteed money that he got doesn't look all that great any more. After a superb 2008, Turner suffered through injuries in 2009 and had a below-average DVOA1 in 2010. Considering Turner has been one of the league's worst receivers at halfback, he needs to be a remarkably efficient runner to justify his salary. Other success stories in free agency, such as Jamal Lewis (Browns, 2007) and Chester Taylor (Vikings, 2006), were also first-season wonders. The last time a team invested more than a million bucks in a free-agent back and got a consistent return was when the Bears snapped up Thomas Jones in 2004. Jones signed a four-year deal worth $10 million and promptly ran for nearly 3,500 yards and 22 touchdowns in three seasons with the Bears. Even if you like Turner more than the numbers do, that's two impact backs in the past seven free-agent classes. Running backs simply don't last long enough — running backs who put up a 1,000-yard season since 1983 have only been able to repeat that performance an average of 1.5 times over the remainder of their careers.
        Maybe it is just like Josh McDaniels kept repeating - if the line does not create holes, then it doesn't matter that much who is in at running back.

        Under Shanny it really did not matter who the RB was - they did great in the early part of the season where the zone blocking scheme creates great results. Shanny build his line effectively for this and had good success in 2/3 of the games with the zone blocking.

        We have greater needs than RB.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
          Who gives a flying duck about stats, or the numbers put up?

          The only thing that matters is that it is vital for this offense to have an amazing RB duo. It just wouldn't work any other way.

          And if Denver expects to win, they need to have somewhat of an effective offense.
          And, if you read the article, signing a big name FA running back 9/10 fails. It's a historical FACT.

          How do you expect the offense to be effective when you're sabotaging it?

          Plus, stats do matter. 1000 yards is 62 yards a game. You're telling me you would not be expecting at least that from Williams after you sign him to a multimillion dollar contract?

          Really?
          sigpic

          Hooray, beer!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
            So you seriously advocate signing Williams for $9 million? I doubt it.

            The subject is whether or not FA RBs are worth the $ they demand, not who's already making too much money on the roster. I'm sure there's other threads on the subject of Orton somewhere around here......
            deangelo is an elite player [when healthy] and is worth the potential risk/reward

            and if people are going to make such a huge deal about money upfront for a FA RB, maybe they need to make the same considerations for current players and the value they represent to the team

            i'm all in on DWill fwiw. he's a tier above the other RBs mentioned in this article

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
              And, if you read the article, signing a big name FA running back 9/10 fails. It's a historical FACT.

              How do you expect the offense to be effective when you're sabotaging it?

              Plus, stats do matter. 1000 yards is 62 yards a game. You're telling me you would be expecting at least that from Williams after you sign him to a multimillion dollar contract?

              Really?
              Mr. Winget, would you like to see the Denver Broncos win a Super Bowl in the near future?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                Mr. Winget, would you like to see the Denver Broncos win a Super Bowl in the near future?
                Name the last team to sign a big name FA RB to appear in a SB.
                sigpic

                Hooray, beer!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by lolcopter View Post
                  deangelo is an elite player [when healthy] and is worth the potential risk/reward

                  and if people are going to make such a huge deal about money upfront for a FA RB, maybe they need to make the same considerations for current players and the value they represent to the team

                  i'm all in on DWill fwiw
                  Exactly. When Renaldo Hill is earning $4 mill +, DeAngelo at $2 mill sounds like an absolute bargain!

                  Trade Orton, Trade/release Hill, = $12 mill in savings. $3 mill exemption (see new thread on this) = $15 mill in savings. $9 mill over = $6 mill available.

                  That's with just Orton and Hill's salary gone. I'm sure there will be other adjustments, trades, and players released.

                  The situation isn't as hopeless as it looks.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by lolcopter View Post
                    deangelo is an elite player [when healthy] and is worth the potential risk/reward

                    and if people are going to make such a huge deal about money upfront for a FA RB, maybe they need to make the same considerations for current players and the value they represent to the team

                    i'm all in on DWill fwiw. he's a tier above the other RBs mentioned in this article
                    He's had one good year and one "elite" year. Please explain how he's an elite player.
                    sigpic

                    Hooray, beer!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                      Name the last team to sign a big name FA RB to appear in a SB.
                      Answer the question.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                        Exactly. When Renaldo Hill is earning $4 mill +, DeAngelo at $2 mill sounds like an absolute bargain!

                        Trade Orton, Trade/release Hill, = $12 mill in savings. $3 mill exemption (see new thread on this) = $15 mill in savings. $9 mill over = $6 mill available.

                        That's with just Orton and Hill's salary gone. I'm sure there will be other adjustments, trades, and players released.

                        The situation isn't as hopeless as it looks.
                        But the article, and history itself proves, that its setting yourself up for failure. It's like putting money in a savings account to someday put it in the garbage disposal.
                        sigpic

                        Hooray, beer!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          History says UDFA can't be the teams all-time leader in receptions. History says 7th round picks can't rush for 2k yards and win a Superbowl MVP.

                          I don't care about history. I care if a player can improve the team and help them win.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                            Answer the question.
                            I'm a Broncos fan. Of course I would like to see them in the Super Bowl.

                            I'm of the opinion signing an oft injured big name FA, whether its Ward or Williams or whomever, isn't the way to go about it. Teams with great passing games and above average defenses win championships.

                            Now, answer mine. Name the last team to win a SB with a big name FA RB signing.
                            sigpic

                            Hooray, beer!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                              History says UDFA can't be the teams all-time leader in receptions. History says 7th round picks can't rush for 2k yards and win a Superbowl MVP.

                              I don't care about history. I care if a player can improve the team and help them win.
                              If you don't know history, you're doomed to repeat it.

                              I hate the idea of throwing cash a RB, Williams or otherwise, because its a historical FACT that it almost never works out.
                              sigpic

                              Hooray, beer!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                                Who gives a flying duck about stats, or the numbers put up?

                                The only thing that matters is that it is vital for this offense to have an amazing RB duo.
                                Vital for what? Our SB run in 2011?

                                I am all for giving it the old college try, but signing Williams is like going all in, looking to fill an inside straight.
                                Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X