No announcement yet.

Signing big name FA RB a "fools errand"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I've said before, it is more important to fix the line. We still have Lance Ball and Lendale White on the roster and we can still find RB's who did not get drafted (UFA). Even good RB's will have trouble finding holes if none are created.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
      Vital for what? Our SB run in 2011?

I am all for giving it the old college try, but signing Williams is like going all in, looking to fill an inside straight.
      Why? I don't think anyone is advocating signing Williams at the expense of signing other players at positions of need.

You can sign a RB and a DT at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        If you don't know history, you're doomed to repeat it.

I hate the idea of throwing cash a RB, Williams or otherwise, because its a historical FACT that it almost never works out.
        I am against any RB signing over 1.5MM a year for 4 years. You get RBs in the draft not on the market.

If Williams wants to take a 4 yr 6MM deal...welcome aboard!
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
          Why? I don't think anyone is advocating signing Williams at the expense of signing other players at positions of need.

You can sign a RB and a DT at the same time.
          This team, where ever the cap is, has finite resources. FA RBs are just not good investments.

Why pay Deangelo what we could pay a good RT? The RT would do much more than Deangelo, for a longer period of time.

Comment

I am against any RB signing over 1.5MM a year for 4 years. You get RBs in the draft not on the market.

If Williams wants to take a 4 yr 6MM deal...welcome aboard!
            I would welcome him with open arms if that were the case. It's not a very big expense.

But I think we ALL know there's no way in hell he signs for that.
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I'm a Broncos fan. Of course I would like to see them in the Super Bowl.

I'm of the opinion signing an oft injured big name FA, whether its Ward or Williams or whomever, isn't the way to go about it. Teams with great passing games and above average defenses win championships.

Now, answer mine. Name the last team to win a SB with a big name FA RB signing.
              Alright, so you would like to see the Broncos win a Super Bowl. I'm with you.

Now, the Broncos have established what they want to do in their quest back to the top, right? Ball hawking, playmaking defense, run first offense, keeps the defense off the field.

Let me make tha clear to you-- No team can run the ball 45 times a game and expect to be successful if they don't have elite players running the ball. It just doesn't work that way, especially with a QB whom has accuracy troubles. The defense will stack the box and Knowshon and Bradshaw/Bush (your own article should show that these guys will not live up to their deal) will be stuffed, the defense will get mauled, and it will be an ugly future.

DeAngelo Williams is a top 5 runningback in the NFL, with Moreno looking ready to breakout. If these guys are behind the QB, the defense can put 8 in the box and Denver will still run effectively. And if Denver can march the ball down the field, eating clock, just a couple times a game, they will win. No matter who they play. Because the defense will make its share of plays, too. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady will lose every game they play if they are kept off the field by DeAngelo and Knowshon.

If Denver expects to get past these guys in the playoffs, they have to be able to run the ball. And like your article reinforces, middle class free agent running backs do not get the job done like expected.

Oh, and no back like DeAngelo has hit the market of late, so no Super Bowl winning team has signed a big name back of late.

Comment

This team, where ever the cap is, has finite resources. FA RBs are just not good investments.

Why pay Deangelo what we could pay a good RT? The RT would do much more than Deangelo, for a longer period of time.
                Well, if we have a huge need at RT, I'd agree. I'd like to see what Beadles or Franklin can do there though.

Resources are finite, but so are available players that can have a discernable impact. DA is one of those guys that can have a HUGE impact.

A good line can make most RB's look good. A good line and a great RB you have a real problem for opposing defenses. Having depth at RB is even better.

Comment

Name the last team to sign a big name FA RB to appear in a SB.
                  He wasn't a FA, but the year the Patriots traded for Corey Dillon he was a key piece in bringing them a title. He was older than Williams if I remember right, yet he lead the league in rushing in 2004 and scored 39 touchdowns in his final three years.

There is no denying that adding Deangelo Williams would make us a much better football team.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
                    As I've said before, it is more important to fix the line. We still have Lance Ball and Lendale White on the roster and we can still find RB's who did not get drafted (UFA). Even good RB's will have trouble finding holes if none are created.
                    This.

Who gives a crap about signing running backs? We have a stable of guys who can produce 50 yards a game who we don't have to pay 9 million dollars.

If we don't sign gap fillers and pocket collapsers we're gonna be too far behind to ever run the ball anyway.

Comment

It is just my philosophy you do not sign FA RBs to big contracts. I do not care if it was Chris Johnson or AP on the market...history just shows you are most likely to get burnt.

We are in no position to be playing against the odds.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                        Oh, and no back like DeAngelo has hit the market of late, so no Super Bowl winning team has signed a big name back of late.
                        I guess that's the other piece - how often do RB's of DeAngelo's quality this side of 30 become available?

If he were the only RB getting 350 carries a year, I'd be hugely concerned. But he also will make Moreno better - they'll both have fresher legs, bodies, less wear and tear, it's a piece of a much larger puzzle.

I miss having an unstoppable run game. Remember when Denver played GB in the superbowl? Denver BTW had a pretty craptastic run defense that year. But the real reason Denver won was because the running game could not be stopped.

I don't want Denver to overpay for any FA, RB or DT. But I'd love to have DA on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                          Alright, so you would like to see the Broncos win a Super Bowl. I'm with you.

Now, the Broncos have established what they want to do in their quest back to the top, right? Ball hawking, playmaking defense, run first offense, keeps the defense off the field.

Let me make tha clear to you-- No team can run the ball 45 times a game and expect to be successful if they don't have elite players running the ball. It just doesn't work that way, especially with a QB whom has accuracy troubles. The defense will stack the box and Knowshon and Bradshaw/Bush (your own article should show that these guys will not live up to their deal) will be stuffed, the defense will get mauled, and it will be an ugly future.

DeAngelo Williams is a top 5 runningback in the NFL, with Moreno looking ready to breakout. If these guys are behind the QB, the defense can put 8 in the box and Denver will still run effectively. And if Denver can march the ball down the field, eating clock, just a couple times a game, they will win. No matter who they play. Because the defense will make its share of plays, too. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady will lose every game they play if they are kept off the field by DeAngelo and Knowshon.

If Denver expects to get past these guys in the playoffs, they have to be able to run the ball. And like your article reinforces, middle class free agent running backs do not get the job done like expected.

Good post, even though I disagree.

Thomas Jones. Cedric Benson. Micheal Turner.

Also, DW is NOT a top 5 RB. He's had one great, elite year...sharing carries with someone who had 10 rushing TD's.

Williams doesn't even have a PRAYER of touching 18 TD's/1500yds again. With Tebow at QB, in the redzone? Now even reaching double digit TD's is in jeopardy, if it wasn't to begin with. Unless Fox waves a magic wand at our OL, DW won't be averaging 5.5 yds a carry/95 yards a game with 18 total TD's...which was what made his elite season elite.

Top 5?

sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

It is just my philosophy you do not sign FA RBs to big contracts. I do not care if it was Chris Johnson or AP on the market...history just shows you are most likely to get burnt.

We are in no position to be playing against the odds.
                            History shows the only time Denver has played in the Superbowl it was with a punishing ground game.

Denver doesn't win the SB against BG with Glyn Milburn starting.

Comment

Good post, even though I disagree.

Thomas Jones. Cedric Benson. Micheal Turner.

Also, DW is NOT a top 5 RB. He's had one great, elite year...sharing carries with someone who had 10 rushing TD's.

Williams doesn't even have a PRAYER of touching 18 TD's/1500yds again. With Tebow at QB, in the redzone? Now even reaching double digit TD's is in jeopardy, if it wasn't to begin with. Unless Fox waves a magic wand at our OL, DW won't be averaging 5.5 yds a carry/95 yards a game with 18 total TD's...which was what made his elite season elite.

Top 5?

Thomas Jones was on the wrong side of his career when signed.

Benson was coming off arrests and was viewed as a mediocre back at best.

Turner is, well, a legit competitor, if not favorite to win the Super Bowl.

It's not about getting a certain guy, what he could produce,etc. It's about the fact that the Denver Broncos will not win if they don't have a player of Williams' skill, and this is a rare opportunity to acquire that kind of player.

Comment

You can be a top player without top stats.

See: John Elway.

You build the best team possible with the options available. I don't care if DA gets 1500 yards - I care that he can help sustain drives, convert 3rd downs, draw men into the box so the WR's can get open....

Comment

Working...
                                X