Signing big name FA RB a "fools errand"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
    History shows the only time Denver has played in the Superbowl it was with a punishing ground game.

Denver doesn't win the SB against BG with Glyn Milburn starting.
    Baltimore has built their team around tough road grating running games. Punishing lines.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to be in their place, because they're always in it, but they've only been to one SB.

In today's NFL you have to have an great passing offense and an above average defense.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
      Thomas Jones was on the wrong side of his career when signed.

Benson was coming off arrests and was viewed as a mediocre back at best.

Turner is, well, a legit competitor, if not favorite to win the Super Bowl.

It's not about getting a certain guy, what he could produce,etc. It's about the fact that the Denver Broncos will not win if they don't have a player of Williams' skill, and this is a rare opportunity to acquire that kind of player.
      You're missing my point.

"That" kind of player, had 273 carries and the lions share of redzone touches in his one elite year.

Deangelo Williams will NOT get those things here. Even if he DID, history is on my side when I say that it probably won't pay off.
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        You're missing my point.

"That" kind of player, had 273 carries and the lions share of redzone touches in his one elite year.

Deangelo Williams will NOT get those things here. Even if he DID, history is on my side when I say that it probably won't pay off.
        He won't put up the stats he did in Carolina. I think that's a realistic thought, yes.

Comment

The way to solve the Broncos problems at RBs is to sign about 5 undrafted FAs and throw them into training camp and see what you've got. They should be able to find a couple of guys who can carry the load between them.

And it won't cost $9 million. That's just an insanely bad use of their cap space. Even $2 million for a RB at this point is idiotic.

I'll lose even more respect for the Broncos front office if they do something dumb like that!

Have we forgot Travis Henry? Everyone makes fun of him now, but he was almost universally welcomed when Shanny signed him. It was only LATER that people said the obvious: "the Titans got rid of him just in time."
          sigpic

Comment

They were discussing this very topic on NFL radio today. The issue was brought up with AP and CJ.

AP will demand a premium contract as CJ is right now.

They talked about how the second contract for a RB is usually a fail and that there are no more Emmit Smiths left that can make the second (and usually huge) contract worth it.

They were discussing this in the terms that AP and CJ are the most valuable players on their teams and have rookie QB's coming in. They , therefore have a very good bargaining position.

I hope we DO NOT pay for Deangelo Williams. Spend the money where it is needed.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
              You're missing my point.

Of COURSE it's wildly unlikely to pay off. Until I see it, I just won't believe that EFX is that stupid. They don't need Williams.

They can find a couple of RBs who weren't even drafted and use them. Personally, I'd sign at least 3.
              sigpic

Comment

An above average defense and a good pass offense hasn't won the chargers anything has it?

There are different paths to a championship. There is no one right way.

The Steelers won several superbowls last decade with a great running game. In Ben's first SB win, the passing game was pretty bad even.

Comment

An above average defense and a good pass offense hasn't won the chargers anything has it?

The Steelers won several superbowls last decade with a great running game. In Ben's first SB win, the passing game was pretty bad even.
                  lol Antwan Randel El was the winning quarterback of that game. Ben was like 3/10.

Comment

I agree, there's no one right way.

The most dominant teams in the NFL right now have above averages defenses that compliment a great passing attack.

See:
                    San Diego
                    Chicago
                    New Orleans
                    New England
                    Green Bay
                    Tampa Bay
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

DeAngelo or not, there will be a committee of RBs carrying the ball; probably two or three per game. In the event Tebow is the starter, he may have a few.

Ball, Buckhalter, Johnson, McLaughlin, Minor, Moreno, White plus three UDFA RBs. Put the best four on the roster, stash two on the PS and start running.

The key to success is how well each run play is designed from each formation, and how well the line blocks it.

I would be willing to bet that when Dave Magazu wants to discuss how to block each play against each front, McCoy will be listening and Studesville will be in on the conversation.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                        lol Antwan Randel El was the winning quarterback of that game. Ben was like 3/10.
                        Well, if we're going to be completely honest the refs were the winning QB of that game

Comment

What I hate about this situation is that its a tough one with the fans.

EFX will be under prime scrutiny if they go sign this guy, and everyone will expect record breaking numbers. But when DeAngelo puts up respectable, but not fantastic numbers it will be McDaniels all over again. Fans will once again think they knew what to do better than the FO, cry about how the money could have gone to DT, how an undrafted free agent could've matched the numbers, all the convoluted nonsense. But if they don't do it, the team will win less games.

Its a sticky PR situation for EFX.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
                            Have we forgot Travis Henry? Everyone makes fun of him now, but he was almost universally welcomed when Shanny signed him. It was only LATER that people said the obvious: "the Titans got rid of him just in time."
                            His play was not the reason people said that. I don't think the Titans released him because they knew he was going to be charged with drug trafficking

Comment

I completely agree, but Damn if I am not starving for some elite defense. We have been horrible on D too long...I WANT D!!
                              Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                                Alright, so you would like to see the Broncos win a Super Bowl. I'm with you.

Now, the Broncos have established what they want to do in their quest back to the top, right? Ball hawking, playmaking defense, run first offense, keeps the defense off the field.

Let me make tha clear to you-- No team can run the ball 45 times a game and expect to be successful if they don't have elite players running the ball. It just doesn't work that way, especially with a QB whom has accuracy troubles. The defense will stack the box and Knowshon and Bradshaw/Bush (your own article should show that these guys will not live up to their deal) will be stuffed, the defense will get mauled, and it will be an ugly future.

DeAngelo Williams is a top 5 runningback in the NFL, with Moreno looking ready to breakout. If these guys are behind the QB, the defense can put 8 in the box and Denver will still run effectively. And if Denver can march the ball down the field, eating clock, just a couple times a game, they will win. No matter who they play. Because the defense will make its share of plays, too. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady will lose every game they play if they are kept off the field by DeAngelo and Knowshon.

If Denver expects to get past these guys in the playoffs, they have to be able to run the ball. And like your article reinforces, middle class free agent running backs do not get the job done like expected.

Oh, and no back like DeAngelo has hit the market of late, so no Super Bowl winning team has signed a big name back of late.
                                no team runs 45/game. For the past 5 years the highest average was 38 carries/game. That was the 2009 Jets. Most teams average 25-30 carries per game. The highest average every other was 35 or less.
                                Last edited by broncos SB2010; 07-20-2011, 02:26 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X