Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Build a Winner - QB First or Team First?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Build a Winner - QB First or Team First?

I think there's a falsehood floating around that in order to build a winner, you first must find a franchise QB. I think there are some teams that buy this philosophy (Denver) and other teams that don't (Miami). Some of the really good teams in the league, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New England, San Diego. They are good despite whoever plays the position of QB.

In contrast, there are teams that are carried by the QB position, Arizona, New Orleans, Indianapolis, for example.

The question is, which one are we trying to become? I, personally, would rather be in group #1.

I think being in the QB hunt every 3rd season or so is a recipe for mediocrity. You want to build a team that plays well (i.e. playoffs) regardless of the QB position, and then when you have an opportunity to get a franchise QB, you grab him and vault the team into elite status.

Point being, there is too much emphasis on the QB being able to carry the team, and thus, we end up in situations like we have now, with no clear direction at the position. This is similar to the situation we had with Plummer (though Orton won't fold the way Plummer did in '06). My solution? Pick a QB and build around him. Doesn't need to be a world-beater. A top 15 starter is all you need. Forget Luck. Forget Barkley. Build around what you have, build a good TEAM. Then, and only then, get into the QB hunt (if you don't already have the QB of the future).

I guarantee, 5 years down the line, we'll be in a better place doing that. Or we can give up more valuable picks and keep looking for the next Elway.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Originally posted by Lomax View Post
    Some of the really good teams in the league, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New England, San Diego. They are good despite whoever plays the position of QB.
    Just pointing out, the incumbent QBs and their immediate predecessors of all those teams you singled out have been to 25 total pro bowls. Roethlisberger, Vick, McNabb, Brady, Rivers and Brees.

So yeah, they aren't winning in spite of their QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoohoo1231 View Post
      Just pointing out, the incumbent QBs and their immediate predecessors of all those teams you singled out have been to 25 total pro bowls. Roethlisberger, Vick, McNabb, Brady, Rivers and Brees.

So yeah, they aren't winning in spite of their QBs.
      I think you've missed the point entirely if you think I'm saying that they win despite the QBs. The first group of teams did not become good at the QB position FIRST. They were good/playoffs teams first that were pushed over the top by improving at the QB position.

Point being, don't go all in trying to bolster an already solid QB situation with major holes elsewhere.
      "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

You need to build a team first culture. Philly, NE, Pitt, Baly, and other consistent winners have it. We had it when we won our SBs.

Elway gets it and I think it played heavily into the selection of Miller and the rest of the draft.
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Really????

New England was 5-11 the year before Brady started

San Diego was also 5-11 the year before Brees

Green Bay was an awesome 4-12 the year they drafted Rodgers

Pittsburgh was riding high on the Tommy Maddox train and was 6-10 when Ben was drafted

All those teams turned things around once they found their franchise guy, both San Diego and Green Bay happened to get two franchise QBs in a row. The only team that was built before they found their guy was the Eagles, but you can easily argue they were built for McNabb and just happened to fall into Vick.

Comment

Ty Warren coming for visit

Per Lindsay Jones.
            Says Warren coming tonight.
            sigpic Thanks Tebow for everything that you did on your short time being a Bronco. I will always be a fan of yours no matter where you are at.

Comment

Originally posted by #1BRONCSFAN View Post
              Per Lindsay Jones.
              Says Warren coming tonight.
              I just saw that myself. Would be a solid signing. Definately an improvement over Leonard

Comment

Excellent, he can still be a pretty good player. I hope he isn't too expensive though, he can't be asking for much anyway though. The market for DTs is still pretty big with Jenkins/Franklin out there for him to be too greedy.

Comment

Very interesting indeed. It would be an interesting pick up.
                  :logo:
                  :logo: :logo:

Air Force Falcons (0-0)(0-0)
                  Moon Twp Tigers (0-0)(0-0)
                  Denver Broncos (0-0-0)
                  Hershey Bears (0-0-0-0)

Hersheypark's new ride:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRbn...layer_embedded

Comment

Pass please...no more coming off injury, 30 something DTs...
                    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Solid? Ty Warren is going to make our defense better in many ways, I'd rather have him than Alan Branch or Barry Cofield.
                      Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Originally posted by Touch_30_Down View Post
                        Excellent, he can still be a pretty good player. I hope he isn't too expensive though, he can't be asking for much anyway though. The market for DTs is still pretty big with Jenkins/Franklin out there for him to be too greedy.
                        From our recent attempts at free agents we aren't even willing to buy them a sandwich from McDonalds for .99 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                          Pass please...no more coming off injury, 30 something DTs...

If we could get a few productive years out of him for a decent price, I'm all for it. If not, I agree with you man. No more washed up linemen.
                          RESTORE THE ORANGE CRUSH!!!!
                          :smash

LONG LIVE THE ORANGE AND BLUE!!!

Comment

McDaniels only wants Patriots castoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait...
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by Mantheyman View Post
                              If we could get a few productive years out of him for a decent price, I'm all for it. If not, I agree with you man. No more washed up linemen.
                              More like 1 year....

Comment

Working...
                              X