Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dawkins back to playing at a high level

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by japfaff View Post
    First off he isn't a HOFer, and he most likely wont make it either....But that aside. I am not taking away from Dawkins what he WAS. He was a phenomenal player.....But he is no longer that player.

    I am also not saying that he isnt better right now than the young guy to take his place. My argument is that Dawkins is gone next year. This year there is no chance this team is a play off team. So why not get the young guys on the field and bite the bullet to start building them for when we have no choice but to play them. To me that is good business. Better to move on from a player a yer early than keep him a year to long. Besides with Dawkins as a back up he can still be a leader and a teacher for the young players...
    I think Dawkins has a HOF shot. 8x Pro-Bowler, 6x All-Pro selections, the HoF doesn't have many safeties in there. I'd say he's deserving. Also one of only 4 DB's ever to have 30+ Int's and 20+ sacks.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by japfaff View Post
      First off he isn't a HOFer, and he most likely wont make it either....But that aside. I am not taking away from Dawkins what he WAS. He was a phenomenal player.....But he is no longer that player.

      I am also not saying that he isnt better right now than the young guy to take his place. My argument is that Dawkins is gone next year. This year there is no chance this team is a play off team. So why not get the young guys on the field and bite the bullet to start building them for when we have no choice but to play them. To me that is good business. Better to move on from a player a yer early than keep him a year to long. Besides with Dawkins as a back up he can still be a leader and a teacher for the young players...
      Once again your opinion....

      It would be a waste to have Dawkins on the roster if he will not start. It's like Lynch a few years back, but Dawkins at this point > Lynch at that point. EFX wants to field the best team they can. Period. Dawkins still has some left in the tank, I know he does. And more importantly he knows he does, and that far out weighs what you or I think.

      BTW, He is a definite HOF....
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
        I think Dawkins has a HOF shot. 8x Pro-Bowler, 6x All-Pro selections, the HoF doesn't have many safeties in there. I'd say he's deserving. Also one of only 4 DB's ever to have 30+ Int's and 20+ sacks.
        Originally posted by The Experience View Post
        Once again your opinion....

        It would be a waste to have Dawkins on the roster if he will not start. It's like Lynch a few years back, but Dawkins at this point > Lynch at that point. EFX wants to field the best team they can. Period. Dawkins still has some left in the tank, I know he does. And more importantly he knows he does, and that far out weighs what you or I think.

        BTW, He is a definite HOF....
        His stats are good and IMO he should make it....But he wont make it (Maybe he will get in 20ish years down the line with the vet committee). His problem is going to be that in his generation there Where 2 Dominate S. Ed Reed and TP. They are just far better players than him. The HOF devalues S and what they do to the game. So I just don't see any way that they allow 3 from this generation in. It sucks and it isn't fair, but it is life


        As for Dawkins....He can know he does all he wants. means nothing. The fact is that when he is on the field he is a liability in coverage. We are basically in a 4-4 alignment. Now even know how to get him into a mismatch, so an NFL OC would be licking his chops. But Dawkins biggest asset to this team is in the locker room, not on the field
        Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

        Comment


        • #34
          Lots of good discussion here.

          My opinion is they intend to use Moore as the cover guy and play Dawkins closer to the line to give LB support in run game which will in turn help the LB's to provide better run support to the DL ( It also helps run support to have Champ on the slot).

          Seems to me that the DC is using scheme effectively to cover up some negatives in this defense; isn't that the way its supposed to be?

          With Mays and Bunkley apparently playing much better than anyone expected we could cover up for the loss of Warren and not having a second powerful DT.

          Just as an aside, it may be that Warren gets back just in time to help with a late season push and post season play.

          Wouldn't that be fun!!!

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by japfaff View Post
            His stats are good and IMO he should make it....But he wont make it (Maybe he will get in 20ish years down the line with the vet committee). His problem is going to be that in his generation there Where 2 Dominate S. Ed Reed and TP. They are just far better players than him. The HOF devalues S and what they do to the game. So I just don't see any way that they allow 3 from this generation in. It sucks and it isn't fair, but it is life


            As for Dawkins....He can know he does all he wants. means nothing. The fact is that when he is on the field he is a liability in coverage. We are basically in a 4-4 alignment. Now even know how to get him into a mismatch, so an NFL OC would be licking his chops. But Dawkins biggest asset to this team is in the locker room, not on the field
            He may be a liability in coverage but he still helps blitzing and helping against the run, and with a much better pass rush he will be much better in coverage. I agree that he probably makes more of a difference in the locker room, but saying he doesn't contribute much on the field is just plain dumb...
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by japfaff View Post
              His stats are good and IMO he should make it....But he wont make it (Maybe he will get in 20ish years down the line with the vet committee). His problem is going to be that in his generation there Where 2 Dominate S. Ed Reed and TP. They are just far better players than him. The HOF devalues S and what they do to the game. So I just don't see any way that they allow 3 from this generation in. It sucks and it isn't fair, but it is life


              As for Dawkins....He can know he does all he wants. means nothing. The fact is that when he is on the field he is a liability in coverage. We are basically in a 4-4 alignment. Now even know how to get him into a mismatch, so an NFL OC would be licking his chops. But Dawkins biggest asset to this team is in the locker room, not on the field
              Where does that leave Sharper then? I agree that it's going to be a bit of a stretch to see Dawkins get into the hall anytime close to his retirement. Reed and Palamalu are almost locks. And if we're discussing Dawk in the HOF, then we have to bring guys like Lynch into the argument.

              Originally posted by inbronco View Post
              Lots of good discussion here.

              My opinion is they intend to use Moore as the cover guy and play Dawkins closer to the line to give LB support in run game which will in turn help the LB's to provide better run support to the DL ( It also helps run support to have Champ on the slot).

              Seems to me that the DC is using scheme effectively to cover up some negatives in this defense; isn't that the way its supposed to be?

              With Mays and Bunkley apparently playing much better than anyone expected we could cover up for the loss of Warren and not having a second powerful DT.

              Just as an aside, it may be that Warren gets back just in time to help with a late season push and post season play.

              Wouldn't that be fun!!!
              That's pretty much all you need to know. The coaching staff is going to utilize him in run support often. Moore helps to make that possible.

              Comment


              • #37
                Speculation about what he will/won't do this season aside, I'd love to see Dawkins stay on as a coach once he retires.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by MoXplant View Post
                  Speculation about what he will/won't do this season aside, I'd love to see Dawkins stay on as a coach once he retires.
                  I dunno, just because you're a good motivational player doesn't mean you're cut out for being a coach. It takes a certain kind of person to be a good coach, I dunno if Dawkins is that kinda person.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I'm not sure he'll necessarily go on to be a coach, but as long as he can lay a hit and bring some fire to the field each and every week you should make an effort to keep him in your locker room for as long as possible. He's a great person to have around and I can't imagine how much it helps our young DBs having guys like Dawkins and Champ to learn from. That being said... he's not just a liability in coverage, he straight-up can't do it anymore. Hopefully we won't have to rely on him often.
                    sigpic
                    - ★ -
                    2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                      I dunno, just because you're a good motivational player doesn't mean you're cut out for being a coach. It takes a certain kind of person to be a good coach, I dunno if Dawkins is that kinda person.
                      What you offer could be used to counter any argument, but a argument is not what I'm after.

                      Just saying, with the guys success over his career he surely has a lot to offer young players

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by The Experience View Post
                        Seriously? Can you post anything positive on the Broncos ever? Your the most negative poster on these boards. I know you will say your "a realist" but you never have anything good to say....
                        Don't you just LOVE how people who have a negative outlook on things declare themselves on a throne above everyone else and call themselves a realist as if to say they are 'realistic' and everyone else is just stupid?

                        Sorry, being pessimistic does not make you a realist, it makes you opinionated.

                        We deal with the same thing on the Charger forums.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X