X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt4LifeSD
    replied
    Originally posted by The Experience View Post
    Seriously? Can you post anything positive on the Broncos ever? Your the most negative poster on these boards. I know you will say your "a realist" but you never have anything good to say....
    Don't you just LOVE how people who have a negative outlook on things declare themselves on a throne above everyone else and call themselves a realist as if to say they are 'realistic' and everyone else is just stupid?

Sorry, being pessimistic does not make you a realist, it makes you opinionated.

We deal with the same thing on the Charger forums.

Leave a comment:

• MoXplant
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I dunno, just because you're a good motivational player doesn't mean you're cut out for being a coach. It takes a certain kind of person to be a good coach, I dunno if Dawkins is that kinda person.
    What you offer could be used to counter any argument, but a argument is not what I'm after.

Just saying, with the guys success over his career he surely has a lot to offer young players

Leave a comment:

• Sync
    replied
    I'm not sure he'll necessarily go on to be a coach, but as long as he can lay a hit and bring some fire to the field each and every week you should make an effort to keep him in your locker room for as long as possible. He's a great person to have around and I can't imagine how much it helps our young DBs having guys like Dawkins and Champ to learn from. That being said... he's not just a liability in coverage, he straight-up can't do it anymore. Hopefully we won't have to rely on him often.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    Originally posted by MoXplant View Post
    Speculation about what he will/won't do this season aside, I'd love to see Dawkins stay on as a coach once he retires.
    I dunno, just because you're a good motivational player doesn't mean you're cut out for being a coach. It takes a certain kind of person to be a good coach, I dunno if Dawkins is that kinda person.

Leave a comment:

• MoXplant
    replied
    Speculation about what he will/won't do this season aside, I'd love to see Dawkins stay on as a coach once he retires.

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied
    Originally posted by japfaff View Post
    His stats are good and IMO he should make it....But he wont make it (Maybe he will get in 20ish years down the line with the vet committee). His problem is going to be that in his generation there Where 2 Dominate S. Ed Reed and TP. They are just far better players than him. The HOF devalues S and what they do to the game. So I just don't see any way that they allow 3 from this generation in. It sucks and it isn't fair, but it is life

As for Dawkins....He can know he does all he wants. means nothing. The fact is that when he is on the field he is a liability in coverage. We are basically in a 4-4 alignment. Now even know how to get him into a mismatch, so an NFL OC would be licking his chops. But Dawkins biggest asset to this team is in the locker room, not on the field
    Where does that leave Sharper then? I agree that it's going to be a bit of a stretch to see Dawkins get into the hall anytime close to his retirement. Reed and Palamalu are almost locks. And if we're discussing Dawk in the HOF, then we have to bring guys like Lynch into the argument.

Originally posted by inbronco View Post
    Lots of good discussion here.

My opinion is they intend to use Moore as the cover guy and play Dawkins closer to the line to give LB support in run game which will in turn help the LB's to provide better run support to the DL ( It also helps run support to have Champ on the slot).

Seems to me that the DC is using scheme effectively to cover up some negatives in this defense; isn't that the way its supposed to be?

With Mays and Bunkley apparently playing much better than anyone expected we could cover up for the loss of Warren and not having a second powerful DT.

Just as an aside, it may be that Warren gets back just in time to help with a late season push and post season play.

Wouldn't that be fun!!!
    That's pretty much all you need to know. The coaching staff is going to utilize him in run support often. Moore helps to make that possible.

Leave a comment:

• The Experience
    replied
    His stats are good and IMO he should make it....But he wont make it (Maybe he will get in 20ish years down the line with the vet committee). His problem is going to be that in his generation there Where 2 Dominate S. Ed Reed and TP. They are just far better players than him. The HOF devalues S and what they do to the game. So I just don't see any way that they allow 3 from this generation in. It sucks and it isn't fair, but it is life

As for Dawkins....He can know he does all he wants. means nothing. The fact is that when he is on the field he is a liability in coverage. We are basically in a 4-4 alignment. Now even know how to get him into a mismatch, so an NFL OC would be licking his chops. But Dawkins biggest asset to this team is in the locker room, not on the field
    He may be a liability in coverage but he still helps blitzing and helping against the run, and with a much better pass rush he will be much better in coverage. I agree that he probably makes more of a difference in the locker room, but saying he doesn't contribute much on the field is just plain dumb...

Leave a comment:

• inbronco
    replied
    Lots of good discussion here.

My opinion is they intend to use Moore as the cover guy and play Dawkins closer to the line to give LB support in run game which will in turn help the LB's to provide better run support to the DL ( It also helps run support to have Champ on the slot).

Seems to me that the DC is using scheme effectively to cover up some negatives in this defense; isn't that the way its supposed to be?

With Mays and Bunkley apparently playing much better than anyone expected we could cover up for the loss of Warren and not having a second powerful DT.

Just as an aside, it may be that Warren gets back just in time to help with a late season push and post season play.

Wouldn't that be fun!!!

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I think Dawkins has a HOF shot. 8x Pro-Bowler, 6x All-Pro selections, the HoF doesn't have many safeties in there. I'd say he's deserving. Also one of only 4 DB's ever to have 30+ Int's and 20+ sacks.
    Originally posted by The Experience View Post
    Once again your opinion....

It would be a waste to have Dawkins on the roster if he will not start. It's like Lynch a few years back, but Dawkins at this point > Lynch at that point. EFX wants to field the best team they can. Period. Dawkins still has some left in the tank, I know he does. And more importantly he knows he does, and that far out weighs what you or I think.

BTW, He is a definite HOF....

Leave a comment:

• The Experience
    replied
    First off he isn't a HOFer, and he most likely wont make it either....But that aside. I am not taking away from Dawkins what he WAS. He was a phenomenal player.....But he is no longer that player.

I am also not saying that he isnt better right now than the young guy to take his place. My argument is that Dawkins is gone next year. This year there is no chance this team is a play off team. So why not get the young guys on the field and bite the bullet to start building them for when we have no choice but to play them. To me that is good business. Better to move on from a player a yer early than keep him a year to long. Besides with Dawkins as a back up he can still be a leader and a teacher for the young players...
    Once again your opinion....

It would be a waste to have Dawkins on the roster if he will not start. It's like Lynch a few years back, but Dawkins at this point > Lynch at that point. EFX wants to field the best team they can. Period. Dawkins still has some left in the tank, I know he does. And more importantly he knows he does, and that far out weighs what you or I think.

BTW, He is a definite HOF....

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    First off he isn't a HOFer, and he most likely wont make it either....But that aside. I am not taking away from Dawkins what he WAS. He was a phenomenal player.....But he is no longer that player.

I am also not saying that he isnt better right now than the young guy to take his place. My argument is that Dawkins is gone next year. This year there is no chance this team is a play off team. So why not get the young guys on the field and bite the bullet to start building them for when we have no choice but to play them. To me that is good business. Better to move on from a player a yer early than keep him a year to long. Besides with Dawkins as a back up he can still be a leader and a teacher for the young players...
    I think Dawkins has a HOF shot. 8x Pro-Bowler, 6x All-Pro selections, the HoF doesn't have many safeties in there. I'd say he's deserving. Also one of only 4 DB's ever to have 30+ Int's and 20+ sacks.

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeFaithful View Post
    I appreciate that you are blunt and you say what you mean, regardless of other peoples opinions. You stick with your guns and I'll give that to you.

But come on bud, this is a potential hall of famer, he makes a difference just by being on the field. And if the ball is anywhere near him, yeah hes a big difference maker.

The only plausible thing you have against him is his age and the injuries because of that, because thats the only reason he did bad last year; The Injuries. If he's healthy, then we know hes a great open field tackler. Theres miles upon miles of you tube footage showing why he got the nickname wolverine. He has hustle and he knows how to bring the hurt and the fear and the respect.

And when he's healthy, hes not a bad pass defender, on the contrary his first year here he was getting interceptions merely because of his veteran experience. Knowing how to be in the right spot and captilizing on forced fumbles or deflected passes, just because this guy never gives up on a play and always hustles to the ball.

In red zone situations, this guy is deadly. In blitzing, tackling, and as a last line of defense, just down right unfair. In leadership and tempo creator for our defense, a very much welcome boon.

If healthy, and thats the key here.

Everything else youre saying is only true because he cant stay healthy, and even then its obvious your drinking some stereotypical haterade assuming he's going to be terribad, because of what you expect out of old players.

I can say it all day, the eagles can give up on him, and bronco fans can give up on him, it wont matter one iota. He'll be done in the league when he feels like being done, and until he is done, he's going to earn a roster spot because of all the sheer talent and experience that he has. Decline or not.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSexyDaddy
    replied
    I don't expect much from Dawkins this year.He is an inspiration and a motivational person for our young players.I agree,he is successfull at blitzing on occasions,but my expectations on him are low as a player.He did take a pay cut for a reason.

For the record,i have read japfaff say positive things on our players on numerous occasions,and he will admit when he is wrong.He calls it the way he see's it imo.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeFaithful
    replied
    Problem with your argument.....stats are from 2009. He is now 2 years older....Watch what he did last season, I expect a decline from that cause even if he got healthy in the off season he didn't get younger, and he looks slower this preseason than he did last off season
    But what did I say that is so negative about Dawkins. I said he sucks in coverage. That is a fact. I said that he was older. Also a fact. I said that we would be better off going forward if Dawkins wasn't on the field so the young guys get experience....That is also a fact. Dawkins on the field offers us nothing going forward. Sure he might be a step up this season, but IMO he isn't a difference maker and even with the step down in performance it might mean 1 win this season. But either way we aren't a playoff team so is 6-10 or 7-9 that big a deal when the experience to the young guys next season would be invaluable......
    I appreciate that you are blunt and you say what you mean, regardless of other peoples opinions. You stick with your guns and I'll give that to you.

But come on bud, this is a potential hall of famer, he makes a difference just by being on the field. And if the ball is anywhere near him, yeah hes a big difference maker.

The only plausible thing you have against him is his age and the injuries because of that, because thats the only reason he did bad last year; The Injuries. If he's healthy, then we know hes a great open field tackler. Theres miles upon miles of you tube footage showing why he got the nickname wolverine. He has hustle and he knows how to bring the hurt and the fear and the respect.

And when he's healthy, hes not a bad pass defender, on the contrary his first year here he was getting interceptions merely because of his veteran experience. Knowing how to be in the right spot and captilizing on forced fumbles or deflected passes, just because this guy never gives up on a play and always hustles to the ball.

In red zone situations, this guy is deadly. In blitzing, tackling, and as a last line of defense, just down right unfair. In leadership and tempo creator for our defense, a very much welcome boon.

If healthy, and thats the key here.

Everything else youre saying is only true because he cant stay healthy, and even then its obvious your drinking some stereotypical haterade assuming he's going to be terribad, because of what you expect out of old players.

I can say it all day, the eagles can give up on him, and bronco fans can give up on him, it wont matter one iota. He'll be done in the league when he feels like being done, and until he is done, he's going to earn a roster spot because of all the sheer talent and experience that he has. Decline or not.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    My point exactly...He is now a LB and not a S. In today NFL with all the WR and the pass first league that it has become.....He has to cover. We would be far better off if we bit the bullet and went young at the position. Sure there would be a slight drop off this season. But the experience would be invaluable to the young guy. Look we arent going to the play offs this season, everyone here knows that. So lets build up the young players that we are going to have to rely on next season when we have a strong shot at it
    I disagree with the idea. A safety who can play close the LOS and is a good blitzer is still useful in todays NFL, especially one that has seen everything an offense can throw at a defense and get people in the right spots, make the proper adjustments, etc.

Quinton Carter has shown nothing he'll be any better this year as a rookie. If anything he could be a bigger liability in coverage at this point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X